DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

So, did Disney and Pixar trade Wreck-It Ralph and Brave? Because Ralph feels like a Pixar film and Brave feels like a Disney film. I get the same vibe from Brave as I did from Tangled.

And I really liked Ralph. But then again, Pixar made Cars.

That was my "damn I'm old" moment of the day.

I had mine when I read that the new one will be set 22 years after the original and I thought "What kind of stupid futuristic bullshit will they pull? 22 years is...2015? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Sad thing is, I think I turned 22 the autumn after it came out.  So I've supposedly relived my entire lifetime up to JP in the years since JP.  It sure as fuck doesn't feel that way.  Basically whatever my "future potential" was that bright optimistic evening on opening night watching that dude get pulled into the raptor transport pod...I've fulfilled it.

This was it.

Whatever you do don't look at the list of movies that were 22 years old when JP first came out.  It's like Norman Lear, Sam Peckinpah, Jack lemon era.  Remember when, like, Yul Brenner was a A-List Box office draw?  Of course not.  Because you're not form olden days.  Except now you are.

• Like 1

Jurassic! The movie is 20 years old and you own it and you still can't spell it!

I was gonna let your mistake slide, but if you insist on being a knob...

It's Linda Hamilton, not Linda Furlong, you giant Terminator fan.

It seems like you think he threw Dern and Madsen under the bus, which he didn't. He mentions that it was one of their agents and fuck those agents. Honestly, he has every right to say that. Fuck them. It isn't their work and they're taking his script and spreading it around town. With how hard it is to keep a secret, at least this early on, it has to hurt to see that some dickhead went and took your script and showed it to others when they had no right to do so.

• Like 2

Watched Kindergarten Cop tonight.  Arnold was on such a roll during the late 80's/early 90's.  

Arnold's scenes with the kids in particular are so heartwarming.  At the beginning of the movie he's in total 80's action movie mode with the stubble and beating the shit out of these drug addicts but by the end he's opened up and it looks like he genuinely enjoys being around these kids.

Really fun movie.

• Like 1

I don't blame Tarantino for being upset.  That the script was going to be circulated at a later date isn't the point.  As the writer/creator, Tarantino should have the primary say-so as to when that should happen.  If someone here wrote a novel and showed us the manuscript just before publication, we wouldn't show it everyone we know (I would hope) in some attempt to score a few cool kid points.  It's common courtesy.  Maybe he handled the situation poorly, but I understand the crux of his frustration.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.  Maybe it does and I'm unaware.

No. He's being childish. The script was passed around because actors wanted to be in it. They weren't making editorial changes in the margins. He's essentially saying "You won't play by my rules, now you won't enjoy the perfection that is my cinema." Whatever.

Maybe he handled the situation poorly, but I understand the crux of his frustration.

That's a mild understatement. Who knows if he even has all the facts? And he's still choosing to blacken the names of two well-respected actors, one of whom he's known for over 20 years.

I don't have a huge issue with him taking it public, but actually mentioning names seems classless.

Watched Kindergarten Cop tonight. Arnold was on such a roll during the late 80's/early 90's.

Arnold's scenes with the kids in particular are so heartwarming. At the beginning of the movie he's in total 80's action movie mode with the stubble and beating the shit out of these drug addicts but by the end he's opened up and it looks like he genuinely enjoys being around these kids.

Really fun movie.

I hate the violent ending to that movie. They should have somehow ended it less violently after selling it as a kids movie.

Watched Kindergarten Cop tonight. Arnold was on such a roll during the late 80's/early 90's.

Arnold's scenes with the kids in particular are so heartwarming. At the beginning of the movie he's in total 80's action movie mode with the stubble and beating the shit out of these drug addicts but by the end he's opened up and it looks like he genuinely enjoys being around these kids.

Really fun movie.

I hate the violent ending to that movie. They should have somehow ended it less violently after selling it as a kids movie.

Man, it's not just the ending.  There is no way that movie would have or should have ever flown as a kids movie.  It's got murders in the opening, an OD, Arnold busting up a crack den with violence, a subplot with an abused child and Arnold punching out his father and all kinds of mayhem at the end.

That said, I love the movie.  It's so silly and entertaining. 

• Like 1