DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

So I watched Mission: Impossible 2 today on Netflix. Going into it I had to say I had a hard time remembering anything about it because I couldn't remember anyone actually ever commenting on it and I don't actually remember actually seeing a commercial for it when it came out. Like I remember the first one being a huge deal and I remember the third one(which I haven't seen either) because of JJ Abrams and Katie Holmes but the second one I just didn't seem to know anything about it. The Tom Cruise climbing sequence at the beginning at least refreshed my memory that it was the one with the nu-metal soundtrack but didn't help much more than that. I did learn from the credit sequence that it was directed by John Woo which I'm not sure if it would have mattered much to me when it came out. I don't think I saw Hard Boiled till I was in college.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the general opinion of the movie is but I have to say for a dated action film I kinda loved it. The plot was pretty basic and straight forward, the cinematic choices for me were so over the top that they actually went from absurd to fun, and the convoluted action sequence setups looked so bad that I didn't mind them.

I just saw this for the first a year or two back and I really loved it as well.

I haven't seen MI:2 since the theater, but I really fucking hated it then.

The whole "Kubrick faked the moon landing" thing comes from a mockumentary that people have decided was him secretly telling the truth, and then retrofitting "clues" in The Shining to it.

On the subject of conspiracy theories I believe, the only one I kinda hold on to is that the FBI had something to do with the assassinations of MLK and/or Malcolm X.

The best conspiracy theory for MLK's has Army Intelligence doing it, not the FBI.

Anyway, tonight I saw:

Her - Joaquin Phoenix plays Theodore, a profoundly depressed man living in a near-future version of LA. He buys an operating system with true AI that takes on a female persona, voiced by Scarlett Johansson. They develop a relationship and he eventually falls in love with her. This is an incredible movie with Phoenix portraying the sadness and loneliness of his character and the joys he experiences when the relationship blossoms. This is a weird movie with some incredibly strange scenes. Theo's relationship is not seen as all that unusual and others have the same types. Can't say enough about the performance from Phoenix - quite possibly the best acting I've ever seen. Just incredible. And the added bonus of Amy Adams, a top, top favorite of mine. 9.5/10.

C'mon, everyone knows the Smoking Man shot both Kennedy and MLK.

I haven't seen MI2 since the theater, but you don't forget a turd like that.  It came out during the summer between my first two years of college and myself and a bunch of other guys on my hall had all become friends and would go to the movies/have movie night in the basement all the time.  We hadn't hung out since the spring semester had ended, but decided to all meet up and go see this when our schedules finally aligned since the previews looked awesome, and you can't go wrong with John Woo right?  I remember all of us sitting there for the first half hour or so in awe of how bad it was, figuring there's no way it could maintain this kind of suck for the whole thing, but it only got worse.  Normally I go to the movies by myself and had I been there solo I would have walked out.  This and the 98 Godzilla movie are films I had to sit through all of by virtue of being there with others.  I remember when it let out one friend of mine turns to us and says "Man, I'm sorry guys.  We put all that effort in and get a lousy payoff like this?"

• Like 1

It really is.  What Phoenix pulls off is incredible if only for the amount of solo screen time.  Tough gig.

HER is confined to this specific love story, but it's the stuff around the edges that really makes this film something special.  For one, it's probably the most fleshed out take on the singularity that Hollywood has ever produced.  The way society seemingly accepts the OS's immediately and how quickly Samantha begins to look down on Theodore are treated like small moments in a love story.  Which is just super brilliant because those moments remain startling, but Jonze never lingers on that stuff. Contrast that with 2001 or Blade Runner where the audience is encouraged to be alarmed by the AI.  Jonze just sort of accepts it, which is somehow even more creepy.  

I think this one jumped up to the top of my Oscar list.

The best JFK theory I've heard was bandied about a ton around the anniversary and that is was a secret service man in the car behind accidentally delivered the fatal blow, and that would explain all the smoke and mirrors, because we all know how much the government loves to admit its mistakes. . . 

I have no recollection of the first dvd I bought/watched but my first player was the laptop I bought when I started college ($2400 for a whopping 6GB hard drive!) and thought it was awesome that I could watch movies and internet on the same device. It was probably on xmas break or something when I finally got around to renting one but I don't remember what it was.

The best JFK theory I've heard was bandied about a ton around the anniversary and that is was a secret service man in the car behind accidentally delivered the fatal blow, and that would explain all the smoke and mirrors, because we all know how much the government loves to admit its mistakes. . .

That theory is so laughably bad and unsupported, it kills me that it still gets brought up. It's right up there with "the driver did it".

Got around to taking The Debt off my "I liked the trailer for it and wanted to see it but couldn't actually justify seeing it in the theater" list. If I had any qualms about it, I don't know the past or present parts really told a satisfying story on their own and I'm not entirely sure that the combined parts do either. If the plot had time to go a little deeper or if the characters had a little bit more room to grow I think this could have been a great movie but instead it ends up feeling like just a really decent one. 

Star Trek Into Darkness

-I still think Chris Pine is very bland here. I mean, Shatner wasn't exactly Pacino but at least he had charm. Pine has to be one of the most generic leading actors out there right now. It becomes even more obvious when it's he's in scenes with Cumberbatch/Quinto and just gets blown away in terms of acting/charisma.

-the look of Chekov's face when Kirk told him he was putting him in a red shirt was fantastic.

-Credit to Cumberbatch, he's got that Patrick Stewart thing where he can make cheesy sci-fi dialogue sound like Shakespeare.

-Overall I liked it.

To go back to the Kubrick Moon landing stuff, there are currently two different scripts that have been picked up that are fictionalized accounts of that story.

Also, not to take away anything from Phoenix's performance, but he wasn't acting alone. All of his scenes were filmed with Samantha Morton there, but in the rough cut Jonze decided he didn't like her vocal quality and redubbed everything with Scarlett Johanssen.