DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I own the Goodfellas dual-sided disc too, only in an actual DVD case. I guess there are multiple versions of this. 

You know what is pretty fun, though you wouldn't expect it to be? The Assault on Precinct 13 remake. I avoided it like the plague when it came out but it's almost always on Cinemax and I finally let my guard down and decided to watch it, at least when I find it on because it's always partially through. Maybe it's the cast. 

The swelling. I actually though the film was pretty decent. It was better than the original though Night 2 smoked it. A demon striptease set to Morbid Angel? Right up my alley, especially when I was like 12.

EDIT: You know what? I still haven't grown up enough to think that is not the best thing ever. 

My copy of The Wild Bunch is on two sides. It's annoying as hell. The first DVD I ever bought was Army of Darkness, but it ended up being the shitty version with the awful ending.

I have that WILD BUNCH too.

I bought the Criterion DVDs of THE KILLER and HARDBOILED before I actually bought my DVD player.  The first DVD's I got after that I guess were part of a "Buy this Pioneer DV-414 and choose four of these FREE!!!!"  I picked the Pioneer DV-414 because it could play VCD's and I was anticipating a lot of purchases from Tai Seng.

The four free movies I chose were:

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

LETHAL WEAPON 4

AMADEUS

FACE/OFF

I wonder how many people started with some combination of those because of that deal, which I think was through Circuit City?

I remember how angry I was in Circuit City filling out the form because they were trying to sell their DivX systems.  Does anyone remember those?  Where you would buy a DivX disc really cheap, like a rental price, and it would stop working after 48 hours?  One of my first genuine internet outrages (on alt.film.something-or-other).

Man, the late 90s were a bizarre moment.

My copy of The Wild Bunch is on two sides. It's annoying as hell. The first DVD I ever bought was Army of Darkness, but it ended up being the shitty version with the awful ending.

I have that WILD BUNCH too.

I bought the Criterion DVDs of THE KILLER and HARDBOILED before I actually bought my DVD player.  The first DVD's I got after that I guess were part of a "Buy this Pioneer DV-414 and choose four of these FREE!!!!"  I picked the Pioneer DV-414 because it could play VCD's and I was anticipating a lot of purchases from Tai Seng.

The four free movies I chose were:

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

LETHAL WEAPON 4

AMADEUS

FACE/OFF

I wonder how many people started with some combination of those because of that deal, which I think was through Circuit City?

Amadeus had at least one split disc release too. A buddy and I rented it and didn't notice until the credits started. We just thought it was really bold to have Mozart die so early in the film.

First DVDs bought were Gladiator and Dogma. Last VHS bought (and that's a topic of its own) was either Velvet Goldmine or The Opposite of Sex.

Watching a little bit of LEVIATHAN on the MGM Network.  Terrible movie, but it reminds me what a great composer Jerry Goldsmith was.  I mean, it makes sense that they got him for an ALIEN ripoff movie, but the score for this is way more fun than the actual movie.

Cheap plug time.  I spend my time digging up info on really, really obscure films from the 70s and 80s.  Here are two of my latest ones that I'm pretty damn proud of where I was able to track down the respective films' directors. First is a BLADE RUNNER-style indie sci-fi movie called PRIMAL SCREAM (aka HELLFIRE).  The second is a clever thriller called TORMENT, the director of which went on to discover Marc (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) Webb and Francis (THE HUNGER GAMES sequels) Lawrence in the music video industry.

PRIMAL SCREAM:
http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2013/11/obscure-oddities-to-hellfire-and-back.html

TORMENT:

http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2014/01/obscure-oddities-torment-1986.html

I also do a series on unmade films that is pretty fun:

http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Never%20Got%20Made%20Files

All this dual disc talk of dvd's when they first came out sounds like when the format was first introduced, it was just a laserdisc scaled down in size. Some of the last generation laserdisc players also played DVD's so I guess that's maybe why they were dual disc.

First DVD I ever got was Jurrasic Park 3. Still have the dvd player (it was some generic one), but the laser inside must be fubar cause any disc you put in it skips like its scratched. Lasted well over ten years though before I finally got an Xbox and used that for DVD's before the blu ray.