DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

So wait - John Cusak was too good to make a 2nd one?

Or he is the killer - right?

Adam Scott is either playing the Cusack character or his son from the future.

On IMDB they're both just listed as playing "Adam", but on Wikipedia Cusack is listed as "Adam Yates" and Adam Scott is listed as "Adam Yates, Jr.".

Hope that's not a spoiler.

Here's the trailer for the documentary about the Superman movie starring Nic Cage, that was never made.

Some of the concept art and ideas that are shown in the trailer look very cool, but I have no doubt this would have been an absolute trainwreck, if it ever ended up being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9fxWq5qg0

The funniest thing is seeing the concept art of Brainiac as a giant spider.

I believe Kevin Smith told this story once in one of those "Evening with Kevin Smith" things about this high-level executive who was obsessed with spiders and thought spiders equal money.

He told the same story on the "How Did This get Made" podcast about "Wild Wild West", which of course also has a giant spider and was produced by the same guy.

Here's the trailer for the documentary about the Superman movie starring Nic Cage, that was never made.

Some of the concept art and ideas that are shown in the trailer look very cool, but I have no doubt this would have been an absolute trainwreck, if it ever ended up being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9fxWq5qg0

I believe Kevin Smith told this story once in one of those "Evening with Kevin Smith" things about this high-level executive who was obsessed with spiders and thought spiders equal money.

He told the same story on the "How Did This get Made" podcast about "Wild Wild West", which of course also has a giant spider and was produced by the same guy.

Is it troubling that until they put Tim Burton's name up onscreen, I was convinced that I was seeing an interview with Nic Cage?  Like, it never occurred to me that it could be anyone else.

Now I'm just annoyed that they couldn't get an interview with Cage.  Like, fuck what's the point?

• Like 1

So the hot rumor out of SDCC is that Maisie Williams will be playing Ellie in the adaptation THE LAST OF US.

I really don't see the point of adapting this video game (besides $$$, I know). It's a highly cinematic telling of a very specific story. It's not like ASSASSIN's CREED, where you could take the general premise as a jumping off point to tell new stories. I see no need to watch the same story again with humans in place of animation.

This review makes me excited for HERCULES.

If you’re at all familiar with my writing, you know I rate movies solely based on how many horses are punched and/or thrown. And based on that very demanding criteria, Hercules might be the greatest movie ever made.

The other thing I read about Hercules sounds like a bunch of bullshit. I'll spoiler it just in case anyone is sensitive:

All of the fantastical elements don't happen. It's all a montage when another character tells a story about Hercules. Like, think about the stories told about William Wallace. In actuality, Hercules is just some really muscular dude. He isn't special. Isn't magical. It's just bullshit.

Thanks Brett Ratner, you fuckstick.

• Like 1

So the hot rumor out of SDCC is that Maisie Williams will be playing Ellie in the adaptation THE LAST OF US.

I really don't see the point of adapting this video game (besides $$$, I know). It's a highly cinematic telling of a very specific story. It's not like ASSASSIN's CREED, where you could take the general premise as a jumping off point to tell new stories. I see no need to watch the same story again with humans in place of animation.

To get money from non-gamers who might enjoy the story.

Is it troubling that until they put Tim Burton's name up onscreen, I was convinced that I was seeing an interview with Nic Cage?  Like, it never occurred to me that it could be anyone else.

Now I'm just annoyed that they couldn't get an interview with Cage.  Like, fuck what's the point?

I thought the same thing. I can't imagine Nicolas Cage saying no to something. I guess they didn't ask him for some reason.

Wow. I gave that guy $20 on Kickstarter for that documentary like almost two years ago. I never heard anything about it so I just figured DC/Warner Bros heard about it and put the kibosh on his plans. Can't believe he actually got Tim Burton to appear in it. Good for him. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh and the giant spider dude was Jon Peters, a hair dresser who hooked up with Streisand and ended up becoming a big time movie producer. I'm not the fan of Kevin Smith stories that I'm sure many here are but the riff on his involvement in Superman Lives/Peters/Burton and the stories he tells about directing Bruce Willis are some of the funniest Hollywood stories I've heard.

Capcom officially announced Street Fighter: World Warrior at Comic Con today. A follow up to Assassin's Fist that will introduce Shadaloo, Chun-Li, Sagat and Guile (Director/writer Joey Ansah wants Scott Adkins for the role). Cannot wait for this.