DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

Here's the thing about the Boy George/ Studio 54 story. It's probably pretty researchable. I'm not gonna do it, but someone will.

I was wondering about the part of a 19 year old Heyman being the head PR guy for probably the most infamous nightclub of the time, with his own office overlooking the club.

In part 2 he is saying this was in the mid-80s.  Wasn't Studio 54 kind of on the way out or not so hip by then?  Could be possible, but this is Paul Heyman we are talking about.  

Heyman could be right, but there's no way he is right. The place was sold in '81 and there was so much drugs and booze and coke and hookers in that place that it was one of those "if you remember it, you weren't there" things.

Studio 54's real heyday was in the 1977 until about 1980.  Then they had tax problems and got sold.  As Paul mentioned, a bunch of their staff bolted to set up the Palladium.  If Paul was saying he was there in 85 or 86, they were sold in 1988 and the venue was renamed the Ritz.

Here's the thing about the Boy George/ Studio 54 story. It's probably pretty researchable. I'm not gonna do it, but someone will.

I was wondering about the part of a 19 year old Heyman being the head PR guy for probably the most infamous nightclub of the time, with his own office overlooking the club.

In part 2 he is saying this was in the mid-80s.  Wasn't Studio 54 kind of on the way out or not so hip by then?  Could be possible, but this is Paul Heyman we are talking about.  

Heyman could be right, but there's no way he is right. The place was sold in '81 and there was so much drugs and booze and coke and hookers in that place that it was one of those "if you remember it, you weren't there" things.

It was re-opened in 1985 by a new owner. It's POSSIBLE that a new owner would just hire some random kid to work there. No way he was high up but I could see him working there.

It was re-opened in 1985 by a new owner. It's POSSIBLE that a new owner would just hire some random kid to work there. No way he was high up but I could see him working there.

i'm guessing resumes and cover letters were a lot less important back then. That, and Studio 54 was out of business in 1986.

54 and Boy George for that matter were pretty much irrelevant by 1985.  I think it's very likely Heyman worked there, but I doubt it was anything even remotely close to how the glory days were.

The three of them talking shit about Michael Hayes was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  I had tears in my eyes. 

Hopefully we find out why part 2 went from a live interview to a phoner literally in the middle of the conversation.

Just finished the Drew McIntyre episode, and I am even more on board that he will make a strong return. Some seasoning away from the WWE, especially in Japan, will help his career in the long run. He can then return with the 3MB stink off of him, and be a fresh opponent for the top faces at the time.

Figured this was as good a place to ask as any.....

from Meltzer's Monday daily update:

--Century Media, the record label for Fozzy, has some preorder bargains if you order "Do you wanna start a War?" the album that comes out on 7/22.  There is a discount on the album plus T-shirts at http://www.emdistro.com/Artist/Fozzy/26738 (thanks to Markus Gronemann)

as far as I can tell this website does not exist.  googling it literally brings up 1 result......the F4W update that mentions it.  Meltzer butchers things sometimes.......I'd like to pre-order the album and get a Fozzy t-shirt......help?

Listened to the Maria Menounos episode and she started talking about how interesting Bob Backlund was and I don't remember anything she said other than "Bob Backlund has never paid taxes".