DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

All those explanations for the tech drop-off are cool.  I've also heard the idea that it's because all the good shit got blown up in the war.

Problem is that the movies never indicated any of that, and we have to make things up for ourselves.  Far more likely that Lucas just wanted to do kewl stuff and didn't bother to make things consistent with the other movies.

I hope the reshoots aren't to make it a lighter tone.  I dig the Rogue One trailer.  Before the trailer, I wasn't really all in on any of the spinoffs.  The trailer brought me in for one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2016 at 2:57 AM, tigertooth said:

Far more likely that Lucas just wanted to do kewl stuff and didn't bother to make things consistent with the other movies.

Technically, yes.  But "The Empire are just shitty at running things" makes a ton of sense in canon. 

Things could have easily fallen apart in 20 years.

Palpatine and Vader wanted power for power's sake. They didn't care about maintaining quality of life or keeping things going like they had before.  So things fell apart.

"Lord Vader,  Corellia is having a crisis with its damaged, failing infrastructure! Also, the teacher's union are on strike!"

"What the fuck do I care about that? I just choke people. I don't exactly have organizational skills here."

Remember the Senate is still in charge(or at least has some power), until the beginning of the orginal movie, as Tarkin announced it had been dismissed. So blame it on the bureaucracy that was killing the old republic. . . .As for 

Spoiler

Han solo in Rogue One? Unless the give Harrison Ford the Robert Downey Jr. treatment from CACV, no buys. . . .

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Remember the Senate is still in charge(or at least has some power), until the beginning of the orginal movie, as Tarkin announced it had been dismissed. So blame it on the bureaucracy that was killing the old republic. . . .As for 

Hide contents

Han solo in Rogue One? Unless the give Harrison Ford the Robert Downey Jr. treatment from CACV, no buys. . . .

Spoiler

CACV? Captain America Civil... Vasectomy?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always liked the idea of Thrawn, just never liked Zahn's actual writing (I honestly believe his Star Wars stuff was terrible) and I think outside of Rogue Squadron stuff, the EU is just not very good. I am excited for this tough. 

James

eh... I just find Zahn rather hamfisted and predictable. Nothing in his SW books made me go "OH SHIT! I didn't see that coming!". I pretty much how every EU writer seems to write Han Solo as a buffoon most times. I like the Rogue Squadron stuff because most of the characters I don't have perconceived ideas in my head about how they should behave and act as far as character goes. Hell even Wege is a characer we knew little about so expanding on him and fleshng him out works.

James

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Did they keep Shadows of the Empire cannon? If not introduce Xixor at some point, dude was a bad mofo. . .

Black Sun was mentioned in Rebels.  That was Xizor's organization in Shadows.

Other than that, only the Outrider (Dash Rendar's ship) is also considered canon.  Basically at this point, I figure it's not canon until they decide they want to make it canon. 

• Like 2