DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2024

GMXPAysXcAA5wHe?format=jpg&name=medium

WELCOME TO MAY!   There's a PPV soon! 

Who will turn on Tony Khan next?!  (Is the Big Show still employed by AEW?  If so I'll bet it's him!) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I know we have a merchandise thread but this is too important:

https://www.shopaew.com/catalog/product/view/id/74008/s/nyla-rose-her-all-royalties-will-go-to-freedom-oklahomas-501c3/category/5343/

New Nyla Rose shirt with all royalties going towards Freedom Oklahoma, a LGBTQ+ rights group. Well done AEW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

No lie I was on a bus in Baltimore when I was younger and it hit a guy pretty much the same way — bus was sloooowly turning while he was crossing.  Essentially like a moving wall smacking you in the face.  Guy just sort of stumbled backwards and went about his business.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peck said:

Ethan Page is gone from AEW/ROH, according to Sapp.

Somebody needs to compile a 'Best of Babyface Ethan Page Promos' from his ROH run. Perfect fodder for the promos folder. Rotten babyface run aside, I like Page and wonder if he wouldn't be better suited for the world of Sports and Entertainment offered on the other channel.

• Like 2

Is Jay going to have to break Darby every year?

As for Page, he's good in lots of areas, but not exactly Elite anywhere, and with AEW's roster, and a lot of other, more over veterans, that makes him pretty expendable despite his talent.  He'll land in a good spot somewhere else.

• Like 2

Ethan Page is super talented but it feels like there's something missing.  I don't think AEW's booking really helped either.  I liked Men of the Year well enough but they got saddled with the MMA stuff with the old guy cutting promos who's name I'm blanking on, ultimately it didn't do him any favors.  Anything Matt Hardy related I mostly skip but what I saw of that stuff was pretty stupid.  I didn't understand why they couldn't just push him as a cocky heel without the gimmicks.  He can do some really impressive stuff in the ring, just let him wrestle

I also think him going to WWE is a no brainer.  He seems like a HHH kind of guy and I'm sure he'd relish the opportunity to take a guy like him who AEW dropped the ball on and prove he's a better booker

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I think the missing element of Ethan Page is the Writer. He has good delivery on the mic, but struggles to find much meaning or purpose. Heavily reliant on cliches. In ring he's pretty solid if a bit bland for Wednesdays. I don't think he did himself any favours having such a brutal version of the Razor's Edge for a finish. The Men of the Year team with Scorpio were going pretty strong until around their pairing with Lambert, but that whole debacle had everything to do with weird-heat-babyface-getting-booed Guevara. Heel Scorpio Sky didn't seem a great fit either. Page did have a quietly impressive outting anchoring a trios match with the MMA guys. His consistent solid work led to a fair push around a Number 1 contender tournament that he ended up losing to Ricky Starks (another guy who could use a writer for similar reasons). Fans and critics didn't seem to be buying Ethan winning on the way to that bout. I think he got a fair chance to succeed, he just couldn't get passed his level. Still, he had some small successes. Sting believed in him enough to have his first live match back against he and Scorp. And it was a lot of fun. A refresh could be a really good thing for his career.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ethan Page looks like a generic CAW and is my definition of replacement level.  Once I heard him on Colt’s pod going on and on about how he just idolizes The Rock, I couldn’t unsee all his subtle Rock ripoff tendencies.  There’s really nothing to him at all.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I don't dislike Page but Technico nailed it - and with today's talent pool in both feds, you really gotta do something special to stand out and thrive. Egon does not have that special something 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Putting Page and Scorp with Dan Lambert was just completely inexplicable and torpedoed them at a point when the MOTY act was already getting over on their own. Neither guy was ever really able to get back on track after that.

• Like 4

I feel awful for Ethan.  The guy was getting shredded with the hopes of getting some gold this year.  And he cut a helluva promo on ROH about his title plans and doing it for his daughter which felt felt pretty damn real to me.  He seemed motivated but it sucks they didn't have anything for him.  I mean I practically forgot Kyle Fletcher is the TV champ but you couldn't have had Page at least make a run towards a title match to see how people like it?  If it worked out then great but if not then yeah I guess that's for him but they could have at least tried.  Instead he meandered around after MOTY so unless something fucked up happened I feel bad for him.

That said WWE would be a good place if he gets in but I'm not sure how far he'd go.  Now an indy run where he goes back to pyscho mode nuking fools in revenge for the release would be fun to see.  I liked when he would do that and it was great in the Darby feud.

• Like 4

Ethan was always a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. AND I loved Karate Man, even if he hated it. He's been to TNA already, don't think they really need him, Aytch should give him a shot and see what percolates. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Ethan Page looks like a generic CAW and is my definition of replacement level.  Once I heard him on Colt’s pod going on and on about how he just idolizes The Rock, I couldn’t unsee all his subtle Rock ripoff tendencies.  There’s really nothing to him at all.  

I didn't know Ethan Page idolized the Rock. It's fitting then Technico Support did the equivalent of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGTIfv-NDY&pp=ygUVcm9jayBiaWxseSBndW5uIHByb21v

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

Not to derail the thread, but IMO, this release makes it abundantly clear there's zero plan for ROH as a standalone promotion, because to me, someone like Ethan Page is like THE prototypical, no-frills ROH wrestler (and that's not a dig).

To be honest I treated ROH for the longest time as just another AEW show though a lot more self-contained.  It's Dark but with titles/purpose and better matches.  I know that sounds dismissive but I love everything about it.  If anything it led to me enjoying the shows a lot more as I'm paying attention to things I would have glossed over.  I figure if they're not losing much money and people are checking the shows (which at least live they are and seem to get into) then no harm no foul.  And hey I'm still streaming them on Thursdays on Discord whether people watch it or not so it could be worth a look if y'all are curious.  And I would even be down for giving a monthly ROH report in the AEW thread for those not watching or paying attention to the ROH thread.

I also cringe when somebody says TK buying them was a mistake.  It was a drop in the bucket for him and it keeps ROH alive for old and new fans.  Plus it gives wrestlers another chance to get some reps in.  Doesn't sound like a mistake to me.  Now I do understand if people expected a lot more to come out of this but honestly I think it's already paid off for them.

• Like 3