DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/17 - 4/23/2024 - Spare the Rod, Spoil the Kyle

We're almost ready for Dynasty!  Hopefully the only footage they'll show this week is that of the new IWGP World Heavyweight Champion:

Spoiler

You spare the child and spoil the Rod...

I have not sold myself to God!

*guitar riff*  (oh, you probably shouldn't mention the Patti Smith song I referenced. 😬

ANYWHO...   enjoy the week!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

At this point, I really have come to admire AEW’s insistence that we never ever just “hear from” Chris Jericho. 

Need to make a list of all the dumb terms they've used to try to disguise "hey it's a promo seg."  How they haven't gotten to "scrum" yet is anyone's guess.  Honestly, Chris' next reinvention should be a middle manager type who talks in business buzzwords.  He should tell Hook that they'll take this offline and circle back to touch base on their action items so they can strategize once they've gotten a 10,000 foot view and buy-in from the leadership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

From last week's thread: The winner of the 2nd Owen Hart Cup was Ricky Starks, Jushin Liger was to present the trophy but Ricky just brushed him off.

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Need to make a list of all the dumb terms they've used to try to disguise "hey it's a promo seg."  How they haven't gotten to "scrum" yet is anyone's guess.  Honestly, Chris' next reinvention should be a middle manager type who talks in business buzzwords.  He should tell Hook that they'll take this offline and circle back to touch base on their action items so they can strategize once they've gotten a 10,000 foot view and buy-in from the leadership.

I only gave the trophy cause we don't have the emote where the lil guy is smiling upside down and melting because he's currently on an endless call where these words are all in heavy, heavy rotation to the point of parody

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

From last week's thread: The winner of the 2nd Owen Hart Cup was Ricky Starks, Jushin Liger was to present the trophy but Ricky just brushed him off.

Easily one of the funniest things AEW has ever done.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1339254795350265862/photo/1

Eddie Kingston addresses his enemies is probably my favorite alternative title to promo segment.

Also that last sentence is triggering for someone who is using his lunch break to get away from the corporate world. 😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Starks/Liger confrontation was completely forgettable. And completely awful. I really wish the Owen was handled with a lot more care. It's not special and I fear it never will be.

Naaaah, Liger seems to have a spectacular sense of humor, and since he's already retired at it's not like we were going to get a match. I'm happy to agree to disagree though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Also that last sentence is triggering for someone who is using his lunch break to get away from the corporate world. 😂

I was fortunate to retire when I was an employee. I was not a team member.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Cassidy vs Taylor should be great fun. Hopefully Trent causes Cassidy to lose since Taylor could use the win.

This one has bum out heat with me. I hope Trent runs in to tease a spear and they all hug instead, and say "Just kidding, we devised this scheme to get TV time so we could ask the Acclaimed/Bullet Club for a shot at the Trios titles" and then it's never, ever brought up again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This one has bum out heat with me. I hope Trent runs in to tease a spear and they all hug instead, and say "Just kidding, we devised this scheme to get TV time so we could ask the Acclaimed/Bullet Club for a shot at the Trios titles" and then it's never, ever brought up again.

What if he hugs Taylor instead?

• Like 2

Just now, Matt D said:

What if he hugs Taylor instead?

I mean, I guess I do have to admit it's both nice to see them all featured, and it's also a logistical way to spread them out a bit more among all the different shows in different denominations so I'd be fine with it from that standpoint, but I've always been steadfastly of the opinion that it would be sacrilege to split them up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I mean, I guess I do have to admit it's both nice to see them all featured, and it's also a logistical way to spread them out a bit more among all the different shows in different denominations so I'd be fine with it from that standpoint, but I've always been steadfastly of the opinion that it would be sacrilege to split them up.

… what if Chuck hugs Shane? 

• Like 1

Things I Remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Missed the first 10 minutes because I turned from Big Bang Theory to MLB Network baseball and forgot to turn back until 7:10 my time so I missed whatever Moxley said.

So.. the heel advantage in the Copeland/Willow-Brody/Julia match was that Copeland would have to work exclusively with Brody, because it's not like Julia is actually doing anything physical so they had to layout Willow to cover for that. Also, nice team communication between Copeland and Willow to have Julia lay out Willow and Copeland ignore that and run right past them to take out Brody (how many times has this promotion done the "uh oh, my partner was just layed out in the back and I didn't discover it until I was in the ring" thing? did it multiple times with the Devil angle)

also Mercedes did some more stuff

The Bucks interrupt a video package and then they face the team of Pac, Penta and Daniel Garcia. From what I recall that seemed like a fun matchup.

Chris Jericho looks more and more like Randy the Ram every day. Meanwhile Hook managed to look older than usual with that outfit. Chris Jericho needs to bring back Sammy dressed like Hook so that he can have his own Hook. (actually he needs to take a break but Chris Jericho will never evar do that)

Shane Taylor has a big ass. The flag burial thing is still kinda goofy. I got Seth Rollins at WM40 vibes from Trent emerging from the shadows to wipe out guys with a chair as they ran down the ramp.

I remembered nothing from Mariah/Deonna except Deonna ran wild at the end.

Claudio/Ospreay was a fun one.. but that's not what's closing this card

so, we get a Joe sitdown, a Swerve sitdown, and then Swerve comes out to close out the card. AEW continues their war on Modern Family reruns. Apparently all the staff is surrounding Joe to prevent him from doing anything. Also they're here so that Swerve can dive on all of them. Joe standing tall, so maybe they'll change the title. Or not. Who knows.

PPV's on Sunday! Got 3 consecutive hours of AEW on Saturday night!

• Like 1

I liked Hook better when he didn’t talk...and I didn’t like him then. An all time epic dumpster fire of a segment.

Claudio-Ospreay was fucking phenomenal. Also Callis was great on the announce.

Cassidy-Shane matched incredibly well, definitely a surprise banger.

Mariah-Deonna was solid and could’ve used some of the time given to Jericho-Hook, and also Taz focusing more on that match and not his fucking knee.

That’s my immediate thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hook was dressed like a recent HS grad who is working at a garage and insisting he'll go to a 4 year university after spending time at a JC that he isn't enrolled at

what i'm trying to say is that Hook looked very Italian tonight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Claudio/Ospreay was awesome, but that's no surprise.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Three hours of wrestling on Saturday and Dynasty, which will probably clock in around five hours. Good thing I don't have to be up early Monday. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I liked Hook better when he didn’t talk...and I didn’t like him then. An all time epic dumpster fire of a segment.

I love HOOK but the only promo of his I ever liked was when he just did the throat cut move accompanied by a menacing whistle. 

• Like 3