DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2024 - Do You Wanna Ride In My Mercedes Boy?

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Damn! I feel super dumb for not even noticing (I've missed I think a single Rampage since they were reintroduced, too, it's not like I haven't been watching). Guess they couldn't have been that important, then..

Don't feel bad.  I only know because Alvarez mentioned on a few pods that they seem to have gone away.  But yeah, IIRC, they announced rankings in early February with the idea that they'd update once per month.  With March 2/3 over and no rankings, it's maybe safe to say they've done away with them.

• Like 1

Rankings have never been anything more than an aesthetic twist that people who read a lot of PWI as kids are into. 

Betcha a million that Sasha has a clause in her contract that there is more federation-wide attention to be paid to women. Or at least a handshake agreement.

• Like 2

The tournament wasn't for the Triple Crown. It was for the Continental Championship. Kingston threw the other two belts, that he already held, into the mix. So, it wasn't ever a unification thing. It was more akin to when Omega won a bunch of belts a couple years ago. It let Kingston have his Kawada moment, and now they're probably going to break them up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Would "dreading" not be the more appropriate verb?

No. Best Friends don’t do much for me. I’m not a fan of all the “winning through the power of friendship.” They should’ve lost the first Parking Lot Fight, Arcade Anarchy, and at All In 2023, but hugs & minivans, right?

• Sad 3

Trent Beretta as a singles heel on this AEW roster sounds like a good way to end up like Ortiz, right down to losing the blowoff match on Rampage. He's a million times more relevant and useful to the brand as a competent workhorse tag guy. Even if Chuck can't come back, Beretta/Romero is a perfectly fine low-card team with OC as the "big brother" who can help them punch above their weight from time to time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The other option for this week was taken by AEW themselves, so, you can blame them for this not being "Mo Moné, Mo Problems"

Oh lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz? 

• Haha 3

My theory is that they reintroduced the rankings before they realized that Dark and Elevation were load-bearing for those to work.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

No. Best Friends don’t do much for me. I’m not a fan of all the “winning through the power of friendship.” They should’ve lost the first Parking Lot Fight, Arcade Anarchy, and at All In 2023, but hugs & minivans, right?

Oh nooooo. This almost physically hurt me to read!! Respectfully but firmly disagreeing to the maximum degree possible.

30 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My theory is that they reintroduced the rankings before they realized that Dark and Elevation were load-bearing for those to work.

I had this thought too, but if you consider those two-ish hours having been made up with the advent of Collision, it's almost a lateral move (save for those wild long ones during the beginning of the pandemic, but that was a different animal for obvious reasons). 

At the end of the day, if there was a real commitment to the idea of them, and this was the problem, you could just start making ROH canon towards them or something, try your hand at a small house show circuit, or even just go with the ol' "Rio de Janiero" from time to time - there are a million different ways.

Honestly, I cracked up at @Curt McGirtsaying they're just for PWI kids because this post and my belt post from earlier are totally exhibit A of that argument

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Rankings seem to be gone again already.  Which is fine, because they just make a bad situation worse.  Multiple singles titles have no kayfabe reason to exist, and then you have the ratings on top of it?  Like is there a top 5 for each of the four belts?  Then you'd need to rank those belts in order of importance, which they're not doing.  And if not, then is, say, the Continental title automatically the #3 contender to the world belt?  It's just a fucking mess. 

This was actually mentioned by Tony S. To Adam Copland, #1 gets a shot at The World Title #2 gets his choice but you know AEW moves a mile a minute

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

The “I quit” match should have a lot of color.

Has Adam "Cope" Copeland™ ever donated his plasma in an old fashioned bloodbath?  I know Christian has sprung massive leaks in TNA, but I can't recall Edge doing it.  But I also don't really watch WWE...

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

At the end of the day, if there was a real commitment to the idea of them, and this was the problem, you could just start making ROH canon towards them or something, try your hand at a small house show circuit, or even just go with the ol' "Rio de Janiero" from time to time - there are a million different ways.

Every month the "championship committee" could have a closed door meeting, where they determine that month's ratings. If the rankings suck, you can blame it on Jerry Lynn or whomever.

Edited by SovietShooter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Has Adam "Cope" Copeland™ ever donated his plasma in an old fashioned bloodbath?  I know Christian has sprung massive leaks in TNA, but I can't recall Edge doing it.  But I also don't really watch WWE...

I haven’t seen Edge wrestle anywhere but AEW since i stopped watching WWE in the mid-00s, was there not color in all those TLC matches?

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The introduction of Collision killed the house shows, and with someone like Ospreay recently talking about one of the reasons he chose AEW over WWE was the schedule, I don’t think you’re gonna get even a limited house show circuit. We need to just face the fact that AEW requiring some people to work once or twice a week is a major selling point, and I doubt they want to jeopardize that just for a ranking system or so someone like Julia Hart can get reps in. If they want to get better, there are ways to do that and AEW allows it. Skye Blue is a perfect example of that. She’s worked almost as many indie shows as she has AEW shows this year so far.

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I haven’t seen Edge wrestle anywhere but AEW since i stopped watching WWE in the mid-00s, was there not color in all those TLC matches?

I don’t think there was, actually. I seem to remember some HBK and Foley matches later in the 2000s where Edge got color, but that’s about it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

was there not color in all those TLC matches?

That was kinda why I asked... I know they did crazy spots and probably got some hard way color, but I don't remember any of those guys wearing an honest-to-god crimson mask in WWE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Dave said:

You know, there’s a whole ‘nother wrestling promotion built around god fearing all-American themes of rugged individualism, bootstraps, and friends just being people waiting to stab you in the back.  Vince is gone but his recurring themes are still around.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You know, there’s a whole ‘nother wrestling promotion built around god fearing all-American themes of rugged individualism, bootstraps, and friends just being people waiting to stab you in the back.  Vince is gone but his recurring themes are still around.

Winning through the power of friendship is almost literally the ethos of this entire promotion. Like, it’s called All Friends Wrestling online for a reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Winning through the power of friendship is almost literally the ethos of this entire promotion. Like, it’s called All Friends Wrestling online for a reason.

Yeah, but that’s backstage friendship. Like, that’s the Jackson’s getting to say “our friend Tony Khan says you have to make our bullshit offense look killer.” I’m talking about onscreen friendship. Like, there’s no real friendship powerful enough to keep Chuck Taylor from being murdered by Miro. 

Also, the irony of Mercedes being upset w Willow for injuring her isn’t lost on me, seeing as how Ms. Mone herself has injured not opponents than prime Joe Frazier…

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Bring the Bunny back and let her teach Skye how to blade.

Yeah, that was a poor blade job after getting a spike to the dome. I really miss the Bunny.

Edited by The Natural