DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

If you are below the age of 40 you probably won't even recognize most of the celebrities being impersonated in that video, unless you're a history student with an '80s bent. I caught Hogan in there, though!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If you are below the age of 40 you probably won't even recognize most of the celebrities being impersonated in that video, unless you're a history student with an '80s bent. I caught Hogan in there, though!

Oof.  Pretty sure I saw the world premier of that one.  Back when the world premier of a video was something anybody even noticed.  

Still remember the premier of Hot For Teacher.   Everybody at CD Fulkes Middle School - home of the fighting lizards - couldn’t wait for that one.  

• Like 3

I never ever saw the Genesis video on TV, that was something I had to find on Youtube well after the fact. These days they show stuff from the 2000s on their Classic show so it's a rare day to see a true OG MTV dust-collector. At least Metal Mayhem got better as I only saw one Cinderella video last night instead of the usual entire block. 

Kids, go look up the video for Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" to see something truly subversive and ahead of its time that managed to somehow squeak in past the censors. I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

I'm not a youngun, but I didn't recognize the reference. If he had mentioned Spitting Image I'd have gotten it.

That’s hilarious because I debated saying “Spitting Image” but so thought that would be more obscure.

52 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Oof.  Pretty sure I saw the world premier of that one.  Back when the world premier of a video was something anybody even noticed.  

Still remember the premier of Hot For Teacher.   Everybody at CD Fulkes Middle School - home of the fighting lizards - couldn’t wait for that one.  

Oh man, the world premiere of Thriller on Friday Night Videos was an event.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I never ever saw the Genesis video on TV, that was something I had to find on Youtube well after the fact. These days they show stuff from the 2000s on their Classic show so it's a rare day to see a true OG MTV dust-collector. At least Metal Mayhem got better as I only saw one Cinderella video last night instead of the usual entire block. 

Kids, go look up the video for Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" to see something truly subversive and ahead of its time that managed to somehow squeak in past the censors. I think. 

There are two versions of the video.  One is a thousand percent more super gay and I don’t think it got much, if any, US airplay.  But it is online.  The other version is the one we’ve seen.  Somehow all the lyrics got through, though.  A top 40 pop song about trying to think about baseball or maybe Margaret Thatcher in a cold day.

Or in the immortal words of Eddie channeling Mr. T, “HEY BOY SLOW DOWN!”

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Spitting Image was a satirical British puppet show from the '80s. Mostly political satire. It's where the puppets in the aforementioned music video came from.

Might be better known in Canada than in the US; I don't know.

Just now, Technico Support said:

A top 40 pop song about trying to think about baseball or maybe Margaret Thatcher in a cold day.

Was this a framistan?! (or whatever the word is for when you put something in and something else reads on the board, like pro.duct)

• Haha 1

You can say product now. And apparently there are a total of FOUR different videos for Relax.

Todd is the Shadows did it for One Hit Wonderland the other week.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Spitting Image was a satirical British puppet show from the '80s. Mostly political satire. It's where the puppets in the aforementioned music video came from.

American fans are much more likely to know the creators' next project after SI, Red Dwarf.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

We had a similar show in the US called DC Follies, starring Fred Willard as the bartender at a DC bar frequented by several celebrity puppets, created by Sid & Marty Krofft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert S said:

I thought those filters are gone for almost a decade now. Let me try: OMG, meh, DOI

DOWN!

(let's see who remembers that)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'm sure one of those "ASMR artists" has recorded a version of "Relax" so that lonely men could jerk it to a Frankie Goes To Hollywood song in a different fashion than usual

Oh Christ, were this close to getting a haunting baby voice style knockoff version of Relax in a horror movie trailer, aren’t we?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Some industrial metal group needs to do a cover of this song 

Lest we not forget the Zoolander soundtrack. 

Spoiler

Also the part in Body Double that turns into a Relax music video is great. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Oh Christ, were this close to getting a haunting baby voice style knockoff version of Relax in a horror movie trailer, aren’t we?

Considering the theme to the last True Detective, nobody better suggest it to Billie Eilish. 

"Two Tribes" already got a metal cover when it came out, by the late great Warfare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2Uj3FqD9U It came out on a 12" EP that my folks grabbed for me for like a quarter at a mall record sale they went to. I also got a copy of Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy, which I did not realize was fucking amazing until years and years later. The Warfare was on 45 and I was too young/stupid to change it from 33 so listened to it like that for years haha (The other songs on the B-side were killer; here are "Hell" and "Blown to Bits". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydluHvtWOU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TX8_sXVEP4

Here's something else that the new Botchamania showed me that I didn't know about: there is SO MUCH MORE Dungeon of Doom Wrestlecrap that they filmed in the Lair of Doom or whatever with Hogan, Giant and everybody. That segment with all of it was like "wait, I've never seen any of this before except for "It's not hot!"?"