DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

12 hours ago, Kang said:

Just one more....

Per PWInsider, a bench warrant was issued for Teddy Hart. Teddy didn't show up for his court date.

Time to revive the IsTeddyHartInJail Twitter account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in the spirit of the Iron Sheik/Sgt. Slaughter 1984 feud being sparked by them crossing paths in an entrance way in-between matches.. here's a very minor, at first, way to spark a feud...

Wrestler A comes out for a match with Wrestler B. But Wrestler C comes out because he insists that he was sure that his match was the next match. Causing tensions with either guy in the match that he was delaying.

In the spirit of the most minor things causing people to get mad at each other

I remember in World Class, there was a scheduled match with Mike Von Erich and Wild Bill Irwin. As they were being announced/introduced in the ring, David Manning runs in and says “we have to get Terry Gordy and Killer Khan out here NOW. They’ve started their match, fighting in the dressing room. Sorry guys, your match will have to wait later.”

• Like 4

With Vince McMahon clearly no involvement in WWE booking in over a year, is the 50/50 booking still something that effects WWE? I only watch the PLEs and the TakeOvers so I don't really know the booking week to week. They've done a good job at booking the occasional title Match a week or so ahead of time on Raw or Smackdown 

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

I remember in World Class, there was a scheduled match with Mike Von Erich and Wild Bill Irwin. As they were being announced/introduced in the ring, David Manning runs in and says “we have to get Terry Gordy and Killer Khan out here NOW. They’ve started their match, fighting in the dressing room. Sorry guys, your match will have to wait later.”

That rules, im gonna track that down today. I would love to see a redux on that at some point on a modern show. You could even do it in such a way that you incorporate elements of @Cobra Commanders original idea and have the two guys in the ring for the scheduled match end up teaming up against the other two teams, have that end in a NC (or with the new third team giving one the tainted victory) and build to a big three-way-tag or even a TLC type affair depending on the situation

Edit: @Ziggyi haven't watched but FWIW I saw a tweet implying Dave lagana was involved in writing for whatever the Rock is doing

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

without checking, i'm guessing ECW already did the "two people in a scheduled match team up against an interlopers" thing during the series of "single matches that are now tag matches" they did in the late 90s

3 hours ago, The Great ML said:

yeah I saw that World Class episode a few months ago and that was a pretty unique way to do things.. as certain industry news would be able to tell you, people who are in a feud should occasionally end up fighting each other backstage (but preferably not for real). I know it can be hard to buy that people hate each other when you know the matches are cooperatives but.

Plus if we're talking real sports style presentation.. well occasionally real sports pause a game due to a non-injury disruption. Like flying a drone over the AFC title game.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

With Vince McMahon clearly no involvement in WWE booking in over a year, is the 50/50 booking still something that effects WWE?

To be honest, I don't watch the weekly TV and whatever I know about it is from reading about it, but I think the WWE has enough "champions who they have no idea how to end their long reigns" around to say that they probably don't do 50/50 booking at least past a point on the card. It's not 50/50 for the people wrestling Gunther or Ripley, for example.

When it comes to matches, I've typed a version of this on the WWE forum, but really there should be a bit of a pyramid scheme sort of thing where the matches lead to other matches.. I guess that would get old if the matches just lead to rematches. But it would be cool if the bangers on TV weren't total coldcalls and it was like "this cool matchup is a result of what happened in a recent match" or whatever.

Maybe the way to differentiate faces and heels in 2024 is that faces talk more about entertaining fans while winning and heels just talk about winning. Just talking about making fans happy or entertaining them without talking about winning is sorta dumb though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

With Vince McMahon clearly no involvement in WWE booking in over a year, is the 50/50 booking still something that effects WWE? I only watch the PLEs and the TakeOvers so I don't really know the booking week to week. They've done a good job at booking the occasional title Match a week or so ahead of time on Raw or Smackdown 

50/50 is less of a thing for top stars and even less of a thing for champs. It happens more around the mid card with the idea of people jockeying for higher positions. I think Sami and maybe Jey are the only higher tiered guys who eat a decent amount of losses right now. 

I keep saying that someone needs to steal the Blackjack/Sullivan "brawl out and brawl in" idea. Just have two guys in a feud fighting every show in the back, end up in the ring, fight out, show up at the next one doing the same thing. Make it look like they didn't even change clothes.

• Like 3

Steve Austin’s Instagram is almost exclusively content with him and his barn cats Pancho and Lefty (well, mostly Pancho, as Lefty is pretty shy) and it’s adorable. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Have Peter Avalon and Brandon Cutler get in a brawl at Daily's place, have them still going at it weeks or month later when yhey come back

Like the Kingston/Sweeney multi day brawl in Chikara? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I keep saying that someone needs to steal the Blackjack/Sullivan "brawl out and brawl in" idea. Just have two guys in a feud fighting every show in the back, end up in the ring, fight out, show up at the next one doing the same thing. Make it look like they didn't even change clothes.

Someone did this in WCW im almost certain. It might've been some combination of that DDP/Raven/Saturn/Benoit/Kanyon stretch of the US title scene. It could've easily just as well been some dying days Norman Smiley HC title stuff, but I am near certain it was done.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
or it could've been Sullivan/Benoit actually, but I'm thinking my brain is just playing tricks on me because they had like several matches in a row end up in a bathroom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

or it could've been Sullivan/Benoit actually, but I'm thinking my brain is just playing tricks on me

I honestly think one of those Benoit vs Sullivan brawls might've started in the back before it was scheduled, and maybe interrupted a Mike Enos vs Wayne Bloom match?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

I honestly think one of those Benoit vs Sullivan brawls might've started in the back before it was scheduled, and maybe interrupted a Mike Enos vs Wayne Bloom match?

It's certainly possible they did that but I'm like 99% sure Enos/Bloom was the match in the ring when Scott Hall came out of the crowd on Memorial Day to kick off the NWO

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's certainly possible they did that but I'm like 99% sure Enos/Bloom was the match in the ring when Scott Hall came out of the crowd on Memorial Day to kick off the NWO

It was Mike Enos (ONE HALF OF THE DESTRUCTION CREW/BEVERLY BROTHERS/NEW MINNESOTA WRECKING CREW) vs. Steve Doll (ONE HALF OF WELL DUNN). If they wanted to telegraph a match interruption, it would be that one.

Why the hell Enos and Bloom would be facing each other, I dunno.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Close. It was Enos vs Steve Doll.

Rats. Beaten by a faster nerd.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Someone did this in WCW im almost certain. It might've been some combination of that DDP/Raven/Saturn/Benoit/Kanyon stretch of the US title scene. It could've easily just as well been some dying days Norman Smiley HC title stuff, but I am near certain it was done.

Aw man, I feel like I saw that too. Maybe it was just the WWF HC title where people were winning and losing it backstage all the time?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wasn't there a WWF show circa late '87-early '88 where Jim Duggan and Harley Race fought throughout the entire show? It may have started out as a match between them and then ended up fighting all over. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't there a WWF show circa late '87-early '88 where Jim Duggan and Harley Race fought throughout the entire show? It may have started out as a match between them and then ended up fighting all over. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I think that was one of the Slammy's maybe? I think about them doing the Blazing Saddles fight more often than I care to admit. 

6 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I think that was one of the Slammy's maybe? I think about them doing the Blazing Saddles fight more often than I care to admit. 

I think you're right. 

On the latest WOR with Dave & Garrett they were talking about a Russo booked SummerSlam where the main event was up in the air and constantly changing.  As they were talking I thought 99 which was the triple threat with Austin/HHH/Foley and there were rumors at the time that it was supposed to be Austin and HHH 1v1 but they put Foley in so Jesse Ventura could raise a babyface's hand (and to be the transition champ to HHH because Austin was being bitchy about losing to him)....but Dave ruled that out, says it wasn't 1999.

They (mostly Dave) settled on 1998, which can't possibly be true.  In my memory that Highway to Hell went for a long time and there was never any doubt that Austin and Taker was the main event.

Sooooo....if the story is actually true....it has to be 1997, right?  Wasn't Bret vs. Shawn on the books for that show at one point just like KOTR?  Stuff was changing constantly that year

• Like 1