DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

It’s a ploy for Cody to insert himself back into a match with Roman after seeing the outpouring of anger (at Rock/WWE) and love (Cody). Rock won’t give up the match. Triple threat at WrestleMania.

Rock pins Cody 🤣

• Haha 1

I don’t think it’s a work. This feels like WM 30 all over again. The people want DB/Cody? Ok, let’s give them Batista vs Orton/Roman vs Rock. And for the people that think this is a different time and what happened 10 years ago won’t happen again because those fans are gone, well, they’re not gone. They’re still part of the audience. And now you even have Rock trying to promote this shitshow on Twitter and getting ratio’d at one point.

They fucked up. If they wanted to pull this off with no time left on the clock for fans to hijack it, then they should have done this closer to WM.

You’d think the regular talent would be smart enough not to tweet against the booking plans. Sure the part timers can do it either with impunity or they just say Screw You, I’m Going Home, 

WWE doesn't care. We're going to get The Rock vs. Roman Reigns at WM40 and we'll like it. Yeah, the crowd in Philly's reaction to the match will make Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg's crowd look tame in comparison, but the WWE doesn't care. They already got their money, The Rock is on the board of directors, we just have to deal with it. It might lead to the Rock essentially turning on the fans if they boo him out of the building when/if he shows on Smackdown between now and WM40.

Let's also not forget Roman Reigns' quasi-shoot comments about Seth Rollins and his getting paid more to work less. People WILL really hate that in 2024 America.

People are talking more about the boneheaded decision vs what had been talked about (that I won't cover here), so mission accomplished for WWE.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Could they want/expect people to hijack the shows and then allow them to "force WWE's hand" like they did back in WM30, as others have noted?

I think if that were the plan then they wouldn’t have had Cody specifically say he’s not going to face Roman at WM.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think if that were the plan then they wouldn’t have had Cody specifically say he’s not going to face Roman at WM.

Yeah, this is true. Unless that takes some weird turn also, later on. The Punk injury threw things for a loop, and maybe they really think that the best way forward is Cody vs Seth and Rock vs Roman?

I would imagine Drew vs Seth and Rock vs Roman vs Cody could be a way to move forward, but I guess they see things differently?

Ok, looking at thr sudden swell of WeWantCody and talent and celebs getting in on it...

It's a work and they're manufacturing another moment playing on every 10th Mania having a contender controversy.   I just don't know if we're getting a 3 way or 2 Roman matches.

There were rumors of Rock vs. Roman night one and Roman vs. Cody Night two, months ago. So I'd imagine that has to be a potential plan. It doesn't really matter what Cody said, because he made it clear after the Rumble he was going for Roman and here we are, so pivoting back and forth isn't an issue.

Punk said during their little pre Rumble promo battle that Cody was going to have some returning star take his spot at Mania. Of course Punk meant himself, but regardless it's clear that WWE is aware of the optics.

I truly just want to see Cody beat Roman. That's it. I just want to see that moment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I truly just want to see Cody beat Roman. That's it. I just want to see that moment.

I want that for you too, and all the fans who are on that train. I got to see the opposite last year and it was awesome, really made my month

Night 1:

Cody vs Roman (Cody wins)

Rock does a pie innuendo promo

Night 2:

Heyman leaves Roman

Uso vs Uso with post match hug and cry

Roman vs Rock for the Head of the Table spot (Solo leaves Roman) 

Cody loses title to new Heyman signing, OKADA

• Haha 1

did Cody say "I won't be challenging Roman at Wrestlemania" in some sort of secret code that actually means "I will actually challenge Roman at Wrestlemania". Does Cody speak Jive?

the way they wrote it doesn't leave any real wiggle room to do that match at Wrestlemania. The writing is a big enemy to the fantasy booking. A lot like how i'm guessing heels wouldn't refer to Cody on screen as a coward for giving up his match even if... they would be totally justified to twist the knife on screen. I suspect that if the match is Cody vs Seth Rollins, there'll be a certain amount of kid gloves being used here.

(Also you're probably more likely to get Roman going on a babyface run this Summer than Cody beating Roman this Summer)

This isn't exactly a last stand for terminally online wrestling fans, but if that energy doesn't actually impact the WWE's business, what reason would they really have to give a crap about toothless barking dogs if the machine keeps rolling on despite their decisions?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

There were rumors of Rock vs. Roman night one and Roman vs. Cody Night two, months ago. So I'd imagine that has to be a potential plan. It doesn't really matter what Cody said, because he made it clear after the Rumble he was going for Roman and here we are, so pivoting back and forth isn't an issue.

Punk said during their little pre Rumble promo battle that Cody was going to have some returning star take his spot at Mania. Of course Punk meant himself, but regardless it's clear that WWE is aware of the optics.

The Punk Card (hehehehe) being in their back pocket is one they can play if they do indeed decide to pivot and they could do it as early as Monday. Cody comes out, does his “so…what do you want to talk about?” thing, gets into how the Rock convinced him to let Rock go after Roman and even though it didn’t sit well with him he didn’t want to deprive the people of that match. Seth comes and says something and then Punk comes out. Tells Cody this isn’t happening again, rehashes his history and says even though he’s cool with the Rock now that Cody needs to finish this story at WM like he intended and the difference here is that over 10 years ago there wasn’t much Punk could do about it but now…WM is two nights. Then seal it with if Cody is more of me than me then you need to take what’s yours and finish your damn story. Hell, you can even delay Cody’s answer to his only other booked SmackDown appearance this month where he says the Rock is right…but CM Punk is right too, so I’m sorry Seth, I need to do this and I need Roman at WM. Crowd explodes and chaotic tv ensues all the way up until WM.

That all plays very, very heavily off of HHH booking these shows as serialized TV with giving you a taste so you come back the next week followed by an even bigger taste followed by the whole slice. It’s the best way to play this all out and keep things interesting until WM or at least recapture the entire feel of the Sami/KO/Jimmy/Bloodline saga again.

• Like 2

"I can't make up my mind" would be a heck of a character for a top babyface.

If they do Roman & Rock in a SD segment either without Cody or without Cody verbally giving up the Wrestlemania match, then there's a lot more room to maneuver here.

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

They fucked up. If they wanted to pull this off with no time left on the clock for fans to hijack it, then they should have done this closer to WM.

Isn’t it the opposite? If they wanted to pull this off, they needed to do it before Cody moved the ball so far down the field. 

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"I can't make up my mind" would be a heck of a character for a top babyface.

If they do Roman & Rock in a SD segment either without Cody or without Cody verbally giving up the Wrestlemania match, then there's a lot more room to maneuver here.

If they do that, it would be 10x worse for Cody Rhodes as a character. Maybe have Roman Reigns refuse to face The Rock and threaten to stay home from WrestleMania if it's made official. Reigns could insert his petty shootish comments about how The Rock is only doing this because he's on TKO board and pulling a power play. He then refuse to face Cody Rhodes because well....he's already beaten him. Reigns could suggest the main event for WrestleMania be a #1 contender's match between Cody and The Rock and 'maybe' he'll face the winner on Night Two or just go home. Then, he shows up to face whoever for his big long 10 minute entrance only....to roll out of the ring and take a count out loss when the match begins. Oops!

At this point, you might as well do a version of Wrestlemania 9 with Cody in the Hogan spot if we're doing ways to put a title on Cody at WM40 without advertising that he's gonna be wrestling Roman at WM40.

I think the Brutus Beefcake in this version of "Hogan and Brutus wrestle Money Inc" would be something like Cody and Dustin wrestling Judgement Day since in the eyes of WWE fans, Dustin being out of the WWE is pretty much the same as him being out for 2 1/2 years with an injury since they don't watch enough AEW to see Dustin working on Rampage every few weeks.

But yeah.. in the scheme of however the hell they delegate authority among on-screen WWE figures... guessing that Aldis and Pearce don't have the power to make a Roman title match at WM on their own and they could just grapple over it or whatever to try and look like the more impactful GM.

Of course the total kayfabe contract for the Royal Rumble could say whatever the hell they want it to say too.

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, as the weekend has progressed, it definitely seems like they’re astroturfing a Yes Movement gimmick for the Code Man.

This could very well be true, but if that was the goal, they could've done so much better with that promo. Have The Rock say he wants to challenge Roman at Mania, then have Pierce/Aldis (or HHH himself if you really wanna lean into it) say "This is the toughest decision I've ever had to make, but The Rock being on a tight Hollywood schedule has limited availability and as a businessman, I can't pass up the once in a lifetime match of The Rock vs. Roman Reigns at the 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF WRESTLEMANIA. Again this is a very tough decision, and Cody is very deserving and will get the championship opportunity he earned at the Royal Rumble, just at another time."