DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

They gave themselves a great out on Monday with Seth's promo only for what we got last night. That is probably what annoys me the most in terms of writing/booking.

What twisted the knife was Roman then burying both Seth and his championship without an ounce of a counter from Cody lol 

• Like 1

is it considered irony for Rock to be around a WWE that has build a structure where the brand is the draw and not individual stars, a system they prefer so that certain stars can't easily follow the path of the Rock and bail out for movies.

I mean, you don't sell 40,000-50,000 tickets before announcing a main event without it being about the brand. And if people turned their tickets in over a main event, i'd imagine the tickets would be bought by somebody else.

Some online people are kinda fighting the last war here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I like Bayley, but that white outfit the other night did her no favors. 

Not for her lower half, anyway (yeah, I said it)

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Too much of women's gear evokes lingerie or looks based off a Rob Liefeld drawing for my taste

Spoiler

No photo description available.

Replace "women's armor" with "women's gear"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Too much of women's gear evokes lingerie or looks based off a Rob Liefeld drawing for my taste, although I guess you can wear full clothes and we'll objectify you anyway

It's different than The Attitude Era.  The women on the roster are either making their own gear or come up with the ideas for their own gear.  

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's different than The Attitude Era.  The women on the roster are either making their own gear or come up with the ideas for their own gear.  

Sure but what do they feel pressured to wear due to the internal culture and appealing to that audience of one? Seems like a good time to shift away

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

then again, WWE is the land that hasn't figured out that they could solve the "all the movie sounds the same" thing by just attaching some sort of distinctive open to songs to remind people "hey, it's this person"

The dorks (here and elsewhere, and I was definitely guilty myself) used to complain when every opening had a catchphrase or signature sound effect (like SCSA's glass or Stratus's giggle) back in the aughts, too.

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Funny, I’ve thought ladies gear has gotten more complex design wise  but less salacious in modern times, at least compares to the Attitude/Ruthless Agression eras. 

Well Trish, Lita and molly used to wrestle in long pants compared all the underbutt we have today. But I would agree with your point regarding the diva search era women

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I imagine being in such good shape many of them are excited to look good

Thank you. 

Let's not get caught up in some kind of het-male defensive zeal and acknowledge that attactive women who are professional athletes, for fuck's sake, probably don't want to wear burkas. 

• Like 1

You guys have no idea how lucky we are that HHH isn't able to wrestle anymore for health reasons, as he'd 100% have inserted himself into... something.... if they felt that WrestleMania needed to be saved. Not saying he'd have taken the Rock spot but maybe the GUNTER or Seth match. 

I am intrigued to see if the fans turn on it like they did Goldberg/Lesnar and Batista/Yes Movement. Or even Roman/Rock at the Rumble so long ago. I don't know how much the fanbase has changed since those events happened, if fans will just go with the flow or be vocally against it at live shows. If nothing else, I do think The Rock has to be at the top of his game. He can't stumble through a bad promo or look out of place, I think one way or the other fans won't be amused if it looks like he took Cody's spot but wasn't prepared for it.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

You guys have no idea how lucky we are that HHH isn't able to wrestle anymore for health reasons, as he'd 100% have inserted himself into... something.... if they felt that WrestleMania needed to be saved. Not saying he'd have taken the Rock spot but maybe the GUNTER or Seth match. 

HHH wanted to retire a good 5-7 years before his heart forced the issue. He only kept doing it because of Vince.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m sure that in the world of wrestling racial stereotypes, a Samoan has won a strap match by headbutting all four turnbuckles in succession.

More seriously, a Samoan Strap Match sounds like the sort of stip that maybe has never been done but could easily be interesting if both guys were willing to strap each other.

(If they’ve done a Samoan Strap Match, I’ve totally forgotten it)

For some reason I’ve found bullrope matches to be more consistently interesting than strap matches.

So Cody could continue the “second banana” thing by pledging to help the Rock by making sure Solo can’t interfere due to his injuries from a strap match. Before Solo interferes anyways. Or they debut Jacob Fatu despite his rap sheet.

Umaga's final WWE match was billed as Samoan Strap Match, vs Punk at Extreme Rules 2009.

• Like 1