DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

Was looking back at last year's Rolling Stone Article about the Ring Boy Scandal, and I thought this final moment sounded very familiar to how Vince "allegedly" spoke with Ashley Masaro and Janel Grant:

“I loved wrestling,” Tom would later say to justify what he did next. “I loved working for the business. It’s what I wanted to do my whole life. There was never a better feeling than going into an arena or going to a wrestling show and meeting people and stuff like that. It felt so good inside. You were so happy to be there. It was the best feeling in the world.”

Fuchsberg left the room again. Tom was alone with the McMahons and their attorney. “I’ve told this story to people and they just don’t get it,” Lee says. “He left this kid, this 21-year-old man who’s a street kid without an education, alone with Vince McMahon.”

“He was very shrewd,” Tom would say of Vince, “and I was very young.” What did Vince tell Tom in that moment of intimacy?

“Mr. McMahon explained to Tom that he had a difficult childhood himself,” is how Fuchsberg would describe it to a reporter shortly afterward.

Lee puts it more bluntly: “Vince McMahon started telling him, ‘Tom, I was molested also when I was a kid.’ ”

“I want to start on a clean slate with you,” Vince said. “I want to take care of everything. How would you feel about that?

“Tom got a good feeling that Mr. McMahon really cared,” Fuchsberg said. “[Vince] shook hands with Tom and offered him his job back.”

“I thought that was the right thing to do,” Tom would say of accepting the offer. “I thought, Let me give it a chance. Maybe this guy didn’t know anything that happened.”

Fuchsberg was called back in. Tom agreed to accept $55,000 in back pay and a job in the WWF’s crew department. The $750,000 was never mentioned again. The lawsuit was dropped.

“I was in no league for Vince McMahon,” Tom said. “The guy’s methodical.”

“Vince McMahon,” Lee tells me with grim confidence, “can get you to do anything.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/ringmaster-vince-mcmahon-excerpt-1234696067/

• Sad 5

I am wondering if Endeavor is also having a swell time with the UFC folks drawing a certain segment of the populace who believe in child grooming conspiracies and think all Hollywood celebs are Satanists who drink each other's blood.

Man, I really want someone to ask Paul a question about his brothers in arms and watch his head explode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am wondering if Endeavor is also having a swell time with the UFC folks drawing a certain segment of the populace who believe in child grooming conspiracies and think all Hollywood celebs are Satanists who drink each other's blood.

Man, I really want someone to ask Paul a question about his brothers in arms and watch his head explode.

Not to stroll too far off topic but after the stuff Strickland said at that presser, the guys on Post Wrestling were wondering if there would be a backlash from fans and I was practically yelling at my phone "Of course there won't be!" Of the UFC fans I know, far more lean towards that type of mindset and opinion. Some are more extreme than others but there's a lot of "Save the kids" types. 

• Like 2

It's not even just the most recent presser. It's the thing with MGK and Megan Fox (or what use to be Megan Fox) from the other day, it's the sparring of YouTubers, it's challenging folks to fights everyday in grandstand challenges, it's making himself out to be this sexist, ultra hypermasculine nutjob who doesn't mind if he comes unhinged.

He's gonna do something eventually that gets the UFC a bunch of hot water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Not to stroll too far off topic but after the stuff Strickland said at that presser, the guys on Post Wrestling were wondering if there would be a backlash from fans and I was practically yelling at my phone "Of course there won't be!" Of the UFC fans I know, far more lean towards that type of mindset and opinion. Some are more extreme than others but there's a lot of "Save the kids" types. 

and I'm not even sure which thing your talking about

Sean Strickland was briefly UFC Middleweight Champion earlier in the year. He admitted to being a white supremacist in his youth, habitually makes violently bigoted comments, talked about how women shouldn't be allowed to work (anywhere) or vote, claimed an interviewer who asked about his prior homophobia (and all people who support gay people) are a cultural "infection" who need to be dealt with, frequently threatens other fighters with murder and talks about his desire to kill someone in the cage, assaulted the man who would eventually take his championship from him in the stands during a UFC show, recently took a sparring sessions with a (shithead) streamer way too far, etc. etc. etc.

The UFC is a mask-off supporter of global fascism and hatred these days so he's exactly what they asked for.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I went from being a dedicated, vocal and educated fan of UFC (and MMA in general) to never watching, nor wanting to watch, that shit, in a span of just a few years. There were minor issues for me (like Dana cosying up to Trump and Joe Rogan gradually getting douchier), but the main factor was their not severing ties with that POS Conor McGregor when word started to get around here in Ireland that he had, on at least two occasions, perpetrated serious and extremely violent sexual assaults on women (and bear in mind these alleged rapes took place years before the 2023 NBA bathroom incident). Promoters need to stop treating their drawing cards as teflon. They've done wrong? Fuck 'em. But, y'know, corporate greed and all...

• Like 13

14 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Sean Strickland was briefly UFC Middleweight Champion earlier in the year. He admitted to being a white supremacist in his youth, habitually makes violently bigoted comments, talked about how women shouldn't be allowed to work (anywhere) or vote, claimed an interviewer who asked about his prior homophobia (and all people who support gay people) are a cultural "infection" who need to be dealt with, frequently threatens other fighters with murder and talks about his desire to kill someone in the cage, assaulted the man who would eventually take his championship from him in the stands during a UFC show, recently took a sparring sessions with a (shithead) streamer way too far, etc. etc. etc.

The UFC is a mask-off supporter of global fascism and hatred these days so he's exactly what they asked for.

8 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

And when Pollock from Post Wrestling questioned Dana about it at a press conference, he got ridiculed by Dana and a bunch of the fanbase for being a snowflake. I'm shocked. 

Jesus.  This is all horrible.

I'd ask the good people that work in and for UFC to speak up against all this, but that's assuming that there are and that they would even if. I already know I'm an ass for various reasons, so no point in verifying that further. 

13 hours ago, Infinit said:

Looks like Stephanie McMahon knew about what happened to Ashley Massaro and about the cover up.

Look...  it's possible everyone knew everything.  It's also entirely possible that no one knew anything.    

The WSJ has a thorough editorial process and phenomenal writers and investigators on their staff.  So what they write down is usually deeply researched, vetted repeatedly, and edited to be concise and precise.

I'd advise to take things said on a 4th tier news network by a friend of someone who's been gone for 5 years, with several full shakers of salt.  

• Like 6

On 2/15/2024 at 6:45 AM, No Point Stance said:

I went from being a dedicated, vocal and educated fan of UFC (and MMA in general) to never watching, nor wanting to watch, that shit, in a span of just a few years. There were minor issues for me (like Dana cosying up to Trump and Joe Rogan gradually getting douchier), but the main factor was their not severing ties with that POS Conor McGregor when word started to get around here in Ireland that he had, on at least two occasions, perpetrated serious and extremely violent sexual assaults on women (and bear in mind these alleged rapes took place years before the 2023 NBA bathroom incident). Promoters need to stop treating their drawing cards as teflon. They've done wrong? Fuck 'em. But, y'know, corporate greed and all...

100% same. Had been an avid fan since I was a kid, renting the old pre-Zuffa UFC tapes from my local video store. Started to tune out a bit after the ESPN-era started bc it just become way too time consuming to keep up with all the shows they were running, but still happily gave them my money for the bigger PPV cards and still paid attention online. But these days between Dana, Rogan, Colby, Strickland, et all it’s turned full on MAGA chud and I have absolutely no interest anymore. I still like fights, but absolutely will not support that company in any way.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look...  it's possible everyone knew everything.  It's also entirely possible that no one knew anything.    

The WSJ has a thorough editorial process and phenomenal writers and investigators on their staff.  So what they write down is usually deeply researched, vetted repeatedly, and edited to be concise and precise.

I'd advise to take things said on a 4th tier news network by a friend of someone who's been gone for 5 years, with several full shakers of salt.  

I’d say take all news sites with that grain of salt. Years ago, I’d say you could trust the NYT and the WaPO. Nowadays, not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wait...when did "The government is after my daddy..." Stephanie McMahon become untouchable?

For me, this is just as credible as anything else just because outside of the texts we've seen in the case of Janel Grant, it's just one side of the story that's either going to be corroborated or not. Everything should have alleged in front of it. This is no different. Fuck, it would be weirder if Stephanie WASN'T named in something because she was pretty high up. She wasn't just strictly on air talent. I have no reason to believe Cara Pipia is lying. Keep in mind, what she said (re: Steph's demeanor) does sound like how Steph was at the time at least based on how the dirtsheets portrayed her in creative. Is this just something that was relayed to a friend cause Steph was considered just this mean person? Who knows? However, I am not going to just say this is some wild accusation she is pulling out of thin air.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, a lot of people are going to not come out unscathed. Whether it's Stephanie or anyone else, it's not going to end well as this rolls along.

• Like 4

I understand not rushing to accuse people, especially based on a general distaste for their public persona or reputation; however, there’s been a major overcorrection in an attempt at fairness. 

Whoa, I got hit by a big, long... what is that term? Where you write "pro-duct" and it turns into "stuffing instead of potatoes"? Only this one is about Saudi Arabia? Screwed up my whole post.

Anyway, UFC sucks, and I think the comparison I was using (which didn't get mangled) between UFC and Romans and the coliseum is justified. You can probably glean my meaning from that. Don't support those motherfuckers.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Not necessarily here, but in some quarters, it seems like anyone who doesn’t just blankety agree with the accusations is pro Vince and not sympathetic to whatever trauma she endured by any and all involved. 

admittedly, you have whatever exactly Nash said last week or whenever, which did seem like it was more sympathetic to Vince than just “let’s hear both sides.” But that’s not surprising to me, at least. 

There's not that many businesses where on your first day someone hands you a bunch of Soma and whispers "This will make it easier"

Pretty much just 1) "comfort women" 2) "Wife of Uday Hussein" and now 3) "Employee of publicly traded company TKO/WWE/UFC that is heavily marketed to children and young men."

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa, I got hit by a big, long... what is that term? Where you write "pro-duct" and it turns into "stuffing instead of potatoes"? Only this one is about Saudi Arabia? Screwed up my whole post.

Anyway, UFC sucks, and I think the comparison I was using (which didn't get mangled) between UFC and Romans and the coliseum is justified. You can probably glean my meaning from that. Don't support those motherfuckers.

"framistan" is the word you're looking for.

and as far as i know, you must've used 'bl.ood mo.ney' which triggers it. stems from back to the first wwe/saudi event (iirc the event thread was even titled that!)

back on topic, my UFC interest has waned a ton the last few years. more due to oversaturation than politics, but seeing TFG every few events really makes me shudder. i look forward to taking another step back after #300 in april

• Like 1