DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

On 1/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, odessasteps said:

When did he start being billed as “from Lithuania”? When he turned face after Magnums accident or later? 

I wanna say 1992, because you had the Lithuanian basketball team making news at the time because it was their first post-Soviet Union Olympic appearance and Bill Walton and the Grateful Dead supplied them with tie-dyed uniforms...

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Where in the city is Halsted Street?

Halsted is really long, starts way down in Indiana and ends a little north of Wrigley Field, covers both the South Side and North Side.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A street befitting the One Man Gang

I will go back to the last time this was referenced here: "Is he from the ENTIRE street?"

Now that said, it is cool that at least the announcer and lower third graphic is specific much like Taz being announced from Red Hook as opposed to the entire borough of Brooklyn.

It does make me laugh though when Bobby Heenan would date himself and say this his friend MUGSY was the best street fighter in Chicago.

This is probably the wrong place but I'm still confused about neighborhoods in the boroughs. It seems like you can make an analogy between the neighborhoods (like Red Hook) being towns within a borough (Brooklyn), which is like a county? Is that kind of correct? 

But anyway yeah Gary seems like he'd be a South Side guy. Cubbies are the white northern snobs, Gary meanwhile carried a razor in his boot. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I will go back to the last time this was referenced here: "Is he from the ENTIRE street?"

Now that said, it is cool that at least the announcer and lower third graphic is specific much like Taz being announced from Red Hook as opposed to the entire borough of Brooklyn.

It does make me laugh though when Bobby Heenan would date himself and say this his friend MUGSY was the best street fighter in Chicago.

Hey if you want to question where that man is from be my guest... right behind ya

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is probably the wrong place but I'm still confused about neighborhoods in the boroughs. It seems like you can make an analogy between the neighborhoods (like Red Hook) being towns within a borough (Brooklyn), which is like a county? Is that kind of correct? 

But anyway yeah Gary seems like he'd be a South Side guy. Cubbies are the white northern snobs, Gary meanwhile carried a razor in his boot. 

Boroughs of New York City - Wikipedia

We are in such a great place on the wrestling time continuum. On the Fight Network, they had TNA Wrestling featuring Ospreay vs Alexander followed by NJPW featuring Danielson vs Okada last night. So awesome.

• Like 8

On 1/18/2024 at 3:20 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Vice is airing a commercial I guess for the next Dark Side episodes, but it just closes in on a suited figure sitting behind a table with his back to the camera and has a big '5' show up on the screen and then 'March'. Dibiase, Cornette and somebody else are heard in voiceover talking about somebody setting a ring on fire and somebody seeing giant spiders coming over a cage (?). 

CHRIS COLT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I've started reading the Ric Flair book (by Tim Hornbaker) and i've chosen to interpret the "Ric Flair wanted to be Dusty Rhodes gimmick brother" story as being one where at least Dusty would be more inclined to not be saddled with a fake relative (especially a Minnesotan saying he's the brother of a Texan) as much as the altruism of Dusty thinking Ric didn't need to saddle himself with that gimmick

I don't know if anybody has done a Dusty biography, but it would be interesting if they could break through some things that probably can't be figured out since a certain number of Dusty contemporaries are dead and the people close enough to know the stuff he kept quiet might not like talking since he's dead now.

But there is also a bit of a story of him in his glory, having to handle all that, and then his downfall from being a powerful booker to having to be one of the boys in the WWF with that gimmick to returning to a WCW in flux to his post-WCW rebuild where even the hardened critics maybe reevaluated a little.

Some of his story probably isn't great for book form since saying this popular wrestler was actually a bit of a jerk to fans during his prime could be seen as sorta bashing the dead.

I'm sure there'll be interesting stuff in the Flair book (don't spoil it) but there are some guys who almost seem difficult to do a biography on since there's not any new information. Like how all the Andre the Giant biographies until the book a few years ago kinda stunk.

Also, from having watched a few Dusty ECW matches a few months ago.. I'll say that Dusty in ECW very much was a "work within my strengths" sort of guy. Like he really wasn't much of an un-ECW cartoon for anything except his first year-ish in the late 80s WWF. The rest of it, it's basically a large old redneck who mainly fights Steve Corino and his friends and even in Philadelphia, that doesn't really stick out much (plus ECW has going to a bunch of new places in 2000 and Dusty was way over in some of them)

Of course, there might be a Dusty book and all this is moot.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shame about Magic Dragon. Gary closes out the chapter of him in his book basically with "Dragon was on his way back to Japan. His airplane crashed and he died." and you're just like "oh shit" like someone sucker punched you. 

The truth is worse. He was on his honeymoon, traveling to South Africa for a show when his plane crashed.

Giant Baba has said he regretted sending Sonoda to South Africa for the rest of his life, and visibly cried in the ring during his memorial show.

• Sad 4

On 1/18/2024 at 10:59 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Saw this on Facebook 

What a bunch of goobers.

If you listen to the whole interview it makes a lot more sense why he wouldn’t want to use it. It’s a good interview as well, I haven’t watched NXT in ages so I can’t say how well the character is getting over but good for him for wanting to “be his own man.”

33 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

If you listen to the whole interview it makes a lot more sense why he wouldn’t want to use it. It’s a good interview as well, I haven’t watched NXT in ages so I can’t say how well the character is getting over but good for him for wanting to “be his own man.”

Hello, my friend. Good seeing you xxx.

• Thanks 1

I guess the question would be: how many second/third generation stars want to just be the next version of their fathers character and how many want to break out of their shadow and be their own person? You can see the dynamic best with Cody and Dustin probably. 

I don’t think Curt wanted to be another Larry the Ax, but did we ever find out if Joe Hennig wanted to be the new Mr Perfect or his own man? 

1 hour ago, WholeFnMachine said:

He is doing rather well with the character. He embraces it more each week and is decently over as heel despite being new.

The announcement of Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi got me thinking about wrestling rivalries with the best chemistry. Come up with:

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin.
  • Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat.
  • The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels.
  • Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart.
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega.
  • Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk.
  • The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar.
  • Steve Austin vs. The Rock.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. AJ Styles.

Probably missing something obvious.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I'd argue Triple H/Rock was better than Rock/Austin. 

They went up the card together, they were seen as relatively equal to each other, there's varying heel/face alignments.

Rock/Austin felt relatively one sided for the most part with Rock not really in Austin's league until Mania X7

• Like 2

Rey v Eddie but I dont know how many matches they had beside Halloween Havoc

Eddie v Dean Malenko 

Austin v Foley

Bret v Davey Boy

feel like Benoit would be a bit of a cheat code as I could easily rattle off half a dozen 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Rey v Eddie but I dont know how many matches they had beside Halloween Havoc

(...)

There was the (acclaimed) series on Smackdown in 05 where they fought for Dominick's custodianship - I guess Rey is regretting now that he won that feud. 😉 Also a year after the apuesta match, there were a bunch of matches centered around the initial lWo.

• Like 2