DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

On 1/14/2024 at 12:25 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

he’s part of the reason Punk is doing big business and main eventing big shows elsewhere this year?

On 1/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, Octopus said:

single-handedly being the reason Punk left.

Wait, is there anyone at all that believes that had the Punk/Perry shit not happened that thin-skinned Phil would still be happily working for AEW and having no problems to this day?  I mean sure, believe whatever you like, but I feel like Dr. Strange viewing all the possibilities in the multiverse when I consider 14 million eventualities for Punk getting offended and perceiving betrayal or transgressions.  I don't think there's any possibility for anything to have worked with Punk and AEW in the long run, Perry's dumb bullshit notwithstanding.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wait, is there anyone at all that believes that had the Punk/Perry shit not happened that thin-skinned Phil would still be happily working for AEW and having no problems to this day? 

Considering the state of the place and the unresolved issues? Not really. But that’s not what I said. 

And I hate to break kayfabe, but Octopus is clearly doing a bit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I mean sure, believe whatever you like, but I feel like Dr. Strange viewing all the possibilities in the multiverse when I consider 14 million eventualities for Punk getting offended and perceiving betrayal or transgressions. 

And yet in this section of the wrestling multiverse, everything was fine and good until that entitled surfer kid wanted to play Attitude Era.

• Haha 3

Would it really be so hard to turn one of the BOTB shows into a Survivor Series 01 type event where all the unnecessary belts are consolidated?

Booking wise, there is no need for The Acclaimed, Starks/Bill, Christian, or Toni Storm to hold belts right now. Not every good character needs a belt! Even Eddie's is pretty worthless since it's indistinguishable in function from the TNT and International. The CC should've been a trophy.

AEW would still have a ton of belts if they only kept the useful ones:

• World Title - Self explanatory
  • Secondary Men's singles title (I prefer the Int'l with the idea it can be defended against non AEW wrestlers)
  • One set of Tag Titles  - Tradition
  • One set of Trios titles - This division is a good way to cram a lot of people on TV.
  • Women's World Title - Self explanatory
  • Women's Tag Titles (Roster isn't deep enough to warrant a secondary singles, but the tag serves the same purpose as men's trios)
  • Pure Title - It's ok to have one low-card gimmick belt, just please stop reading the rules before every match.
  • FTW only if it's an official hardcore/death match title, otherwise it should just be a prop for Hook and never defended.

ROH needs to be completely re-booted as a Dark/Elevation type show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like they missed the boat by not having the trios division work exclusively under trios rules (by that I mean no tags, more action packed...still one fall, though, not the captain's rules or whatever, which are a little convoluted).  I'd rather have this division be something interesting and different instead of "tag matches you're used to, but with one extra dude." 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I feel like they missed the boat by not having the trios division work exclusively under trios rules (by that I mean no tags, more action packed...still one fall, though, not the captain's rules or whatever, which are a little convoluted).  I'd rather have this division be something interesting and different instead of "tag matches you're used to, but with one extra dude." 

The HOB/FTR+Garcia match pretty much was like this. About the only thing that took me out of the match was how selective the ref was being with the rules and in the whole last half tags and the legal person were just kind of a suggestion. If they were to do full trios rules then fine, but either commit to the bit one way or another.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The CC should've been a trophy.

Them NOT having a trophy (I guess, I missed the PPV) is a shame. 

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

a prop for Hook

That's pretty much what it is now

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I mean no tags, more action packed

So the "Young Bucks and Friend" titles? 😛 

• Like 1

I still think the idea of the Continental Classic prizes being belts from a lower tier sister promotion, a dead show from a partner company and a brand new belt is dumb. It should have just been a trophy + #1 contender’s status for the World title at the next PPV.

It was effectively just a tool for Kingston’s continued story arc, plus some good ‘rasslin every week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

So the "Young Bucks and Friend" titles? 😛 

Anything is better than what we have now.  Bucks and Hangman, Top Flight and Andretti, HOB, any combo from Alex Abrahantes' stable of random luchadores, shit, throw three people together at random from AEW Dark 2.0 ROH and odds are they'd hold my interest in-ring than The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass playing the hits. 

Edited by Technico Support

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

i liked when they were leading up to the trios titles introduction and we saw novel use of the tag rules/10 counts on tag partners entering the ring. Stuff like 'guy 1 tags in guy 2, guy 2 immediately tags in guy 3' so all 3 guys get some legal triple team action going on. And yeah, it definitely felt heavier on the action. Then again, i liked the "House Rules" from HoB too. maybe the Acclaimed + Billy Gunn are just having a garbage reign?

• Like 1

I'm not generally a "too many belts" guy, but the one that sticks out to me most is having two sets of trios titles. Like, why are BCG challenging for the ROH trios titles tonight and not the AEW ones?

Oh! Maybe BCG wins the ROH titles tonight and we get a unification match with Acclaimed? It can be the sextuple crown!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Joe rules

Marc Raimondi: How does it sound, Joe? AEW world champion Samoa Joe.

Samoa Joe: It sounds right. It just rolls off the tongue. Good. It feels pleasurable to let it pass your lips.

Fuck yeah.

• Like 2

Joe does rule:

SJ: Because online fandom isn't about sharing an experience with somebody. It's about being right. It's about having a point of view and then finding every tidbit or morsel to support that point of view and hammering away against the other people who may have an opposing point of view. It's a different type of fandom that I think people don't recognize, and it's not really about the product, the fighters, or people in general. It's just about beating this other person at the other end of the Twitter handle, or whatever it may be. That's really what it boils down to. I best sum it up this way. I've never heard somebody say, 'Man, I really changed a lot of people's minds with that tweet.'

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Would it really be so hard to turn one of the BOTB shows into a Survivor Series 01 type event where all the unnecessary belts are consolidated?

Booking wise, there is no need for The Acclaimed, Starks/Bill, Christian, or Toni Storm to hold belts right now. Not every good character needs a belt! Even Eddie's is pretty worthless since it's indistinguishable in function from the TNT and International. The CC should've been a trophy.

AEW would still have a ton of belts if they only kept the useful ones:

• World Title - Self explanatory
  • Secondary Men's singles title (I prefer the Int'l with the idea it can be defended against non AEW wrestlers)
  • One set of Tag Titles  - Tradition
  • One set of Trios titles - This division is a good way to cram a lot of people on TV.
  • Women's World Title - Self explanatory
  • Women's Tag Titles (Roster isn't deep enough to warrant a secondary singles, but the tag serves the same purpose as men's trios)
  • Pure Title - It's ok to have one low-card gimmick belt, just please stop reading the rules before every match.
  • FTW only if it's an official hardcore/death match title, otherwise it should just be a prop for Hook and never defended.

ROH needs to be completely re-booted as a Dark/Elevation type show.

Why are we slandering Rick Starks and Large William? They rule and should have all the tag titles. On the earth. All of them. 

The HOB trios title run had way more legs. I don't understand why they took the belts off of them. They could've held them until the end of the decade and I would've been fine with it. I like the Acclaimed, but they don't need titles to be over. In this case, the titles have hurt them. 

I don't think holding the trios titles have hurt the Acclaimed. I think never defending them has. Why don't they wrestle more? Is one of them hurt or something?

It could be similar as to why Darby/Sting never won the tag belts, Sting can’t wrestle large parts of matches and need breaks between matches. Billy might not be up to wrestling consistently, if that’s the case they should either drop the titles or never have won them in the first place. Or TK is just interested in other toys right now

To tie it all back around I legitimately think they won The Trios Titles because Bowens had an idea for custom belts. TK is always in more belt mode and went with it. This is the third set of AEW Trios Titles already.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sublime said:

It could be similar as to why Darby/Sting never won the tag belts, Sting can’t wrestle large parts of matches and need breaks between matches. Billy might not be up to wrestling consistently, if that’s the case they should either drop the titles or never have won them in the first place. Or TK is just interested in other toys right now

For what it's worth the House of Black defended the titles 9 times in the 170+ days they held them, Acclaimed have defended them 10 times in 140-some odd days.

So It's more a 'these are part time titles' issue than an Acclaimed issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

I don't think holding the trios titles have hurt the Acclaimed. I think never defending them has. Why don't they wrestle more? Is one of them hurt or something?

I'd actually reverse the opinion and say they've hurt the titles by leaning way too much into being a comedy act since winning them, along with rarely defending them.

• Like 3