DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

10 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Watching Vader/Dustin King of Cable Semis from 1992.

I'm of the opinion Dustin had the best sunset flip of any wrestler. 

It's a conversation I don't think we've had on here? Best sunset flip guy?

Taking one?

Aloha Arn

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I love Mark Briscoe, and will endorse a proper slapping for near anyone in Stamford at any time, but I always figured they got it from the Boyz N Da Hood song

Yeah, I was going to say, they stole that shit from rappers, so it's a bad look for them to complain about WWE social media using it to describe a trio of black wrestlers.

It's no less than what I'd expect from Mark Briscoe to do that, but yeah. 

• Like 1

Is that even a Stamford person? If it's the official Fox Sports account for WWE content, it could be run out of (Googling) LA

Edit: And that would explain why they don't know there's already a wrestling Dem Boyz

Edited by Godfrey

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I do feel like NJPW is at something of a tipping point to ushering in new top stars who could be as good as NOAH’s or AJPW’s best.

This really needs to happen. That Four Musketeers Part 2 shit is over with; Nakamura doesn't even work with them anymore. I guess the new guys are Shota and who else? I know I've seen at least one of them work on the AXS show so far. 

Mark Briscoe typing on a computer amuses me. It's probably a phone, but I'm seeing him on a laptop clacking away at a keyboard like me.

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This really needs to happen. That Four Musketeers Part 2 shit is over with; Nakamura doesn't even work with them anymore. I guess the new guys are Shota and who else? I know I've seen at least one of them work on the AXS show so far. 

Yota Tsuji, who is king of the world and everything. Ren Narita, who is ready to rise up out of his mini-Shibata role and *god help me if they fuck him up offa this House of Torture shit*. Yuya Uemura, who had a damn fine run in the states. I would by far put Shota Umino at the bottom of those ranks but that might just be me.

Obviously there's a lot of in-house gaijin on the come-up. I still have no idea how WAR DOGS Bullet Club is gonna break, outside of It Ain't Finlay. I'm glad I watched some Tag League shows cause yknow who's really putting it together? Hikuleo. He's being asked to do more and he's doing it.

Speaking of NOAH, the best pure Young Lion I've seen in awhile is Ryohei Oiwa and he's doing his excursion as Kiyomia's understudy under the green lights. Very much one to keep an eye one.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm killing time before the games and WOW is on local TV - the ring announcer (Lauren, but I didn't catch her last name) is one of the most beautiful humans I've ever seen, but her delivery sounds like "It's Raining Men" karaoke. "From the Booooooooard of Edu-CAY-tion, the CLASSMASTERRRRR." It's gotta be heard to be believed. No AJ on commentary yet this week btw in case anyone cares

Agreed on that first part! Lauren Hunkele, my personal favorite current ring announcer in the biz. She definitely stands out unique.  In the previous season, she always had some amazingly over the top outfits that ruled.  AJ's contract expired a few months ago so she's no longer on commentary as of the current season.

Speaking of ring announcers, another longtime favorite of mine David Penzer finished up with Impact last night after a 3 year 2nd run there. Always enjoyed his work since WCW. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Agreed on that first part! Lauren Hunkele, my personal favorite current ring announcer in the biz. She definitely stands out unique.  In the previous season, she always had some amazingly over the top outfits that ruled.  AJ's contract expired a few months ago so she's no longer on commentary as of the current season.

Speaking of ring announcers, another longtime favorite of mine David Penzer finished up with Impact last night after a 3 year 2nd run there. Always enjoyed his work since WCW. 

It's definitely unique - I could see her growing on me if I watched every week or if she was with a promotion I watched w any regularity, I was just a bit jarred haha. And thanks for the clarification re: AJ, she was on the last one I saw a few months back, I didn't realize she finished up - Maybe it was just some good Jeannie Buss marketing but I thought AJ was involved behind the scenes for some reason as well for some reason.

I'm also a Dave Penzer guy, sad he's finishing up - I know most people think GMC when they think WCW announcers, but most of my time watching was during Penzer's run, so I've always had the childhood nostalgia thing going. I know he's a real estate agent by day (he sold Jericho a massive house at the start of AEW) so it's possible he's getting out of wrestling entirely, which is a bummer if thats the case. I always liked the bit of dirt he put on the word "Champion"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

You put some respect on Fox 45 Baltimore's name!  😄

Going back and looking at the videos, it is interesting that they were all for the same station - I thought for sure it was a Sinclair thing where he did spots for all of their markets.

Wen't to see GCW Highest in the Room over the weekend. Blake Christian and Starboy Charlie had the match of the night and it was fun seeing Maki Death Kill but my take away was being uncomfortable with how much man on woman violence there was and is at some of these indy shows. especially in front of a crowd that's 80-90% male.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Going back and looking at the videos, it is interesting that they were all for the same station - I thought for sure it was a Sinclair thing where he did spots for all of their markets.

Sinclair is headquartered in Baltimore County, so Sinclair HQ became "ROH HQ" after they bought them.  The station is in the same building, so they just had the ROH guys do local stuff like this when they were in town.  No idea why they never did it anywhere else, but that's why they did Fox 45 so much -- it was essentially Sinclair's "home station."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Wen't to see GCW Highest in the Room over the weekend. Blake Christian and Starboy Charlie had the match of the night and it was fun seeing Maki Death Kill but my take away was being uncomfortable with how much man on woman violence there was and is at some of these indy shows. especially in front of a crowd that's 80-90% male.

Yeah, I watched it on FITE and ended up with the same feeling you did.  Masha and Fatu had a GREAT intergender match recently that didn't rely on the cheap heat and that's now my ideal of how these things should go if they must (and I, for the most part, wish they mustn't).  

Also that whole Mance turn on Effy was kind of lame.

• Like 1