DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/8 - 11/14/2023 - Bait and Switchblade

Dolfan in NYC

A mere 10 days away from Full Gear and... our main event may change!!

I mean, *I* for one would prefer Friedman/Briscoe, but they did (allegedly) pay the Switchblade a lot of money.  Oh well. 

Enjoy the week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A couple of things about the week previous:

Penta v Kommander v Vikingo got awesome by the end, and I figured that Vikingo's AAA title was on the line, so Penta winning was a big surprise.

RUSH still wrestling like an absolute dickhead despite getting hot tags and shit in the main event was funny. But he wanted to point out that "no, I haven't gone soft" and that point was certainly made. I also thought, hey RUSH could go after Eddie and the ROH title, too!

Archer vs Darby was very entertaining, and Jake leading The Righteous and Archer makes for a pretty cool, albeit absolutely unnecessary faction.

There was also bunch of other stuff happening. Trent vs Garcia was very good. No surprise there.

This week has matches scheduled and a few of them will most likely rock. Hopefully Lee vs Joe gets enough time before Shane Taylor butts in, because no way is he going to let Lee succeed where he just recently failed.

• Like 6

DAMMIT, DOLFAN!!!

Amazing job on the thread title this week.

Edit: Limitless vs Joe has the potential to be maximum BMMSM

Switchblade vs Briscoe has the potential to heat the crowd up to a boiling point.

I am pretty excited for this episode of Dynamite.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I am pretty excited for this episode of Dynamite.

I'm definitely into this card.

• I think in some ways Garcia is the perfect MJF opponent right now. One big Sports Entertainment spot, strengths that are more grounded and mat based as opposed to over the top high spots, really "gets it." 
  • White vs Briscoe is a really compelling singles match. I know it was meant as an insult but White being tofu means that he can mesh with a lot of different people in a lot of different ways while still expressing who he is and serving the overall match. Briscoe is obviously a great character to play off of in ring.
  • I don't know if it's Danielson going down but Sting is suddenly added to a bunch of cards as part of his final run. Keeping him in six-mans or tags against entertaining undercard acts isn't a bad way to use him as an attraction right now. 
  • PENTA vs Swerve should be so dumb but in the best way possible. I prefer Swerve's stuff against someone else who's equally ridiculous as opposed to trying to fit him into a square whole. It's the RVD vs Benoit thing. Benoit kept trying to get RVD to sell the leg and it made for terrible matches. You'd rather see RVD vs Sabu. I'd rather see Swerve roll around against someone else who is going to be goofy and just take the whole thing over the top. 
  • It feels a little bit weird that the build to Keith Lee vs Shane Taylor led to Keith Lee vs Samoa Joe instead but you know they're going to make every point of impact awesome.
  • Julia needs to get some heat back after Skye sprayed her. Velvet is coming off of injury and either can make an impact or can be Kiera Hoganed to ROH. I think she'll have something to prove here. 

Best overall Dynamite card for me in ages. Most of the usual suspects I try to avoid aren't booked for matches and I much prefer Penta in a singles match and Swerve in situations where I've already thrown my hands up anyway.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I feel like Keith Lee is going over tonight.  It's his birthday, he has an already-set first feud with Shane Taylor, and it frees up Samoa Joe for the MJF stuff.

Being a big fish in ROH instead of just a guy in AEW feels like a good way to go for him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gonna be wild when the PPV main event is switched to Daniel Garcia defending against Mark Briscoe.

(yeah, I know the title isn’t explicitly on the line tonight)

If AEW did that I would sell all my worldly possessions, shave my head, and hand out pictures of Tony Khan in the airport while wearing saffron robes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

There is an interesting rhetorical question of “would the PPV in Nassau make more money with MJF as the hometown champ or as the hometown challenger”. The latter being a scenario where Jay White’s title reign is like the Sid reign that set up HBK winning it back in San Antonio.

• Like 2

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Roddy threatens to do something other than yell "ADAM"

MJF beats Daniel Garcia after a neat match

The Outrunners get squashed by Sting and Darby

Toni Storm and Tony and Shida talk in black and white

Penta and Swerve have a fun one. Then Hangman shows up to kill Swerve. Nice of him to wait until the match ended to attack Swerve. Swerve's a good wrestler with the angles of a 2010s WWE dude.

There's tension in the Elite. I guess it's efficient to merge Jericho Island with the Elite stuff.

Did you think that Keith Lee would win the title on his birthday to free up Samoa Joe to go for the world title? LOL NOPE. Also Samoa Joe tossed down the ROH TV title and we'll see if it just went to the land inhabited by the WCW Light Heavyweight Title, the WCW World Six Man Tag Team Titles and the SMW Beat the Champ TV title.

The Gunn Boys win a squash! Samoa Joe sneaks up on MJF backstage!

The women's match goes on at it's usual time slot. Julia Hart wins and then Skye Blue comes out.

Jay White and Mark Briscoe have a fun match which i'm not sure why the title match was on the line but it was.

The Ninjas are back and they've attacked the Acclaimed and threw one of them through glass. So Jack Perry is Satan? (I mean, by now, if the masked goons aren't Roddy's friends, there's a bit of a logic hole in play here)

• Like 3

Lots of really good in ring stuff tonight.

Title matches delivered, but where does the ROH TV title go next? 

Always a treat to see Sting on TV.

Swerve is so freaking good. Really looking forward to him and Hangman with the ratcheted up level of aggression and violence.

Mark Briscoe is someone I could watch every week. 

Will Mariah May be Mickie James to Toni Storm's Trish?

Really really interested to see where they go with The Devil. 

2 pretty great hours of pro wres!

And we're getting FTR vs Kommander and Vikingo on Rampage! Colour me EXCITED.

• Like 7