DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 11/6/2023 at 3:29 AM, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Been busy, but no I want ROH to have hard weight classes. No I don't think they need to be legit 100% of the time, but I don't see the size of ppl as a massive issue - ultimately the roster may need to evolve.

I think I would go with 4 men's divisions - 175 (welter), 195 (cruiser), 225ish (mid-heavy), above (super-heavy). Two classes for women, split at around 125-130lbs. Pure Rules *all* singles title matches.

Run a team title - 3-5 people, forever freebird-rule defends both in tags and 6-person.

You can love it or loathe it, but it would make ROH very distinct from AEW.

Running ROH as a completely sport based promotion would be one way to differentiate it from AEW, 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 6:28 AM, Curt McGirt said:

FTFY

Flair shouldn't be hawking energy drinks, he should have his own lined of canned Kamikazis. It'll be like Billy Dee Williams and Colt 45. Now with extra public exposure! 

Imagine the product placement opportunities! 

396732967_721859366658470_50584859305229

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I miss Ian Riccaboni/Nigel McGuinness on AEW Collison commentary.

I want an Ian/Nigel/Schiavone power-team so bad. The Ian/Caprice/Nigel booth we got for 2-3 weeks there was friggin' awesome too. Though I obviously want as much Tony Schiavone in my life as possible (imagine saying that in '99!) I like the idea of having two entirely separate teams. I gotta be honest, I'm slowly becoming the 'Fuck Kevin Kelly' guy the way you're the 'I have strong opinions about former WWF/WCW/WWE Champion Terry Bollea which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself' guy - he just drives me insane

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
WHEN DID FRAMISTANS RETURN AND WHY WAS I NOT TOLD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm not a fan of Kelly but I do think he's improved immensely from the first month or so he was doing Collision.  I think all the praise Ian got may have lit a fire under him.

Ian/Nigel/Schiavone would be a great combo.  If only Riccaboni didn't love his family...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

m not a fan of Kelly but I do think he's improved immensely from the first month or so he was doing Collision. 

I'll give you that. He was rough early on, man. Like the one that will always stick with me is him being confused by the big Best Friends hug thing - he must've called dozens of their matches in NJPW, how had he not remembered that? It's nit-picky, I know, but still... I also think another part of it might be that, because Excalibur usually does such a nice job with the callbacks and historical stuff on Dynamite/Rampage, it's making Kelly sound kinda unfamiliarized and thus bush in comparison.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'm not a fan of Kelly but I do think he's improved immensely from the first month or so he was doing Collision.  I think all the praise Ian got may have lit a fire under him.

Ian/Nigel/Schiavone would be a great combo.  If only Riccaboni didn't love his family...

Agreed, Kelly has definitely improved. They're still doing a lot of tinkering with the format, it's still distinct from Dynamite but not quite as much of a WWE feel now. 

Didn't realize that Riccaboni only did spot announcing (and presumably ROH voiceover commentary) because of family. Allentown is a pretty area, I guess.

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Agreed, Kelly has definitely improved. They're still doing a lot of tinkering with the format, it's still distinct from Dynamite but not quite as much of a WWE feel now. 

Didn't realize that Riccaboni only did spot announcing (and presumably ROH voiceover commentary) because of family. Allentown is a pretty area, I guess.

Apparently they offered him the Collision job and a multi-year deal but he refused because he didn't want to be away from his kids every weekend.  Seems like a good dude.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, JLowe said:

I have memories of malt liquor in plastic 2-liter bottles at the grocery store in NYC in the 80s but I can find no evidence online that this actually existed.

Purple Passion was a malt beverage, right?  That was in 2-liter bottles.

1. Beats the absolute piss out of Roman in a demo rating and is wildly regarded as a fan and intellectual favorite.

2. nothing is done with her because ratings can’t be good with women lolamiriteyouonlygetonematchladies

3. Released and every man, woman, and child that has ever lived this sport of kings get slapped in the fucking face.

Out until Danielson’s gets brought back too early to do a ladder match or something dangerous. Or at least until Collision. Garbage. Everything is garbage.

• Sad 6

the TayJay v. Bunny/Penelope was one of the greatest spectacles in AEW history. All 4 should've been set for good after that, one of my favorite matches, so its sad to see The Bunny go. 

embed fuck but insert bloody pic here.  Classic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kang said:

I guess she goes to TNA Wresting next year.

Wasn't she sacrificing herself to save someone (Rosemary?) in the Underworld Universe last time she was in (Artist Formerly Known as) Impact Wrestling? There's a ready-made story for her to jump right back in, in a division that is actually respected and given plenty of stuff to do each week!

She can say she used the portal left open by Taya Valkyrie in order to get back into the above ground universe, that has mysteriously turned back into TNA while she's been "dead".

Edited by Shartnado
That's how i could go...

Naturaling it up with a list. My top 15 favorite AEW wrestlers  (in-ring, in some loose order)

1. Christian
  2. Athena
  3. Danielson
  4. RUSH
  5. FTR (Cash is higher but I didn't want to rank both)
  6. Orange Cassidy
  7. Dustin Rhodes
  8. Darby Allin
  9. Samoa Joe
  10. Serpentico
  11. Daniel Garcia
  12. Eddie Kingston
  13. Toni Storm
  14. MJF
  15. Anthony Bowens

Hon Mentions (10): Andrade, Hobbs, Menard, Starks, Jarrett, Mark Briscoe, Miro, Comoroto, Shida, Mercedes Martinez.

What a deep promotion. I could go on as i still like wrestlers like Angelico and Nese and Willow and HOB and Sting and Bennett, etc.

My least favorite 10 (in-ring, no order)

Spoiler
  • Takeshita
  • Adam Page
  • Swerve
  • AR Fox
  • Bucks
  • Omega
  • Trent (I like him less every time I see him lately)
  • Lucha Bros (as a tag unit)

Pretty solid company over all, that AEW.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Naturaling it up with a list. My top 15 favorite AEW wrestlers  (in-ring, in some loose order)

1. Christian
  2. Athena
  3. Danielson
  4. RUSH
  5. FTR (Cash is higher but I didn't want to rank both)
  6. Orange Cassidy
  7. Dustin Rhodes
  8. Darby Allin
  9. Samoa Joe
  10. Serpentico
  11. Daniel Garcia
  12. Eddie Kingston
  13. Toni Storm
  14. MJF
  15. Anthony Bowens

Hon Mentions (10): Andrade, Hobbs, Menard, Starks, Jarrett, Mark Briscoe, Miro, Comoroto, Shida, Mercedes Martinez.

What a deep promotion. I could go on as i still like wrestlers like Angelico and Nese and Willow and HOB and Sting and Bennett, etc.

My least favorite 10 (in-ring, no order)

Hide contents
  • Takeshita
  • Adam Page
  • Swerve
  • AR Fox
  • Bucks
  • Omega
  • Trent (I like him less every time I see him lately)
  • Lucha Bros (as a tag unit)

Pretty solid company over all, that AEW.

Great idea. Great list.

I'll totally take the bait!

I am sure I forgot someone OBVIOUS.

My criteria: How much joy do they spark in me? How much do I miss them when they are off TV? How happy and excited do I get when they have a match announced?

Interestingly, it broke down pretty evenly into round numbers:

THE TEN I GO INTO FULL ON FROTHING AT THE MOUTH MARK-OUT MODE FOR EVERY TIME:

Bryan 

Kingston

Orange

Darby

Hobbs

Athena

Willow

Emi

Hayter

Yuka Sakazaki the Magical Girl

THE TEN I AM ALWAYS STOKED TO SEE FIGHTING ANYONE

Dustin

Keith Lee

Lance Archer

Wheeler Yuta

Legit Leyla

Bear Boulder

JD Drake

Toa Liona 

Fenix

Claudio

THE TWENTY (PLUS?) THAT NEVER FAIL TO SPARK JOY

Stat

Abadon

Billie Starkz

Timeless Toni (w/Luther)

Skye Blue

Deeb

Outrunners

Bucks

Shibata

Claudio

Kenny

Ibushi

Hook

Vikingo

Bandido

Joe

Nicky Boy

Roosh

Komander

Takeshita

Garcia

Brody King

Edit: Briscoe, Shida

The Ten Where, sorry, but I personally would just as soon never see them on AEW TV ever again

Spoiler

Jarrett (he's often entertaining, but it's just not for me)

Ric Flair

Edge

Johnny TV

Malakai Black

Jeff Hardy

Vincent

Saraya

Taya

Disingenuous forced heel Nigel

And I could probably do another "ten where once they figure it out/get more reps they certainly have the talent to be great."

And another ten where, "I don't like them as much as others do, but I get it and I certainly wouldn't prefer them to leave AEW..."

So, Matt: disagree on certain particulars, but definitely agree with the overall "pretty solid roster" take.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Top 15 Favourites to watch regardless of in-ring ability/promos etc just the ones that my keep eyeballs glued to the screen:

1. Andrade
  2. Angelico
  3. Bandido
  4. Bryan Danielson
  5. Christian Cage
  6. Claudio Castagnoli
  7. Eddie Kingston
  8. Jamie Hayter
  9. Lance Archer
  10. Miro
  11. OC
  12. PAC
  13. Samoa Joe
  14. Sting
  15. Swerve

The bottom 10 that I skip the most when they're on:

1. Adam Cole
  2. The Gunns
  3. Jay White
  4. Josh Woods
  5. Juice Robinson
  6. Kyle Fletcher
  7. The Young Bucks
  8. Matt Sydal
  9. Scorpio Sky
  10. Tony Nese

Top 3 Commentators:

1. Excalibur
  2. Nigel McGuinness
  3. Tazz

Edited by Leonidas
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Octopus said:

1. Beats the absolute piss out of Roman in a demo rating and is wildly regarded as a fan and intellectual favorite.

2. nothing is done with her because ratings can’t be good with women lolamiriteyouonlygetonematchladies

3. Released and every man, woman, and child that has ever lived this sport of kings get slapped in the fucking face.

Out until Danielson’s gets brought back too early to do a ladder match or something dangerous. Or at least until Collision. Garbage. Everything is garbage.

You need this break I hope everything is better when you get back. 

• Haha 2

I know some people hate this kind of thing, and I'm sure this sentence is gonna annoy the shit out of most, if not all mods - but I'm a huge list guy! Making them! Disseminating them!! Verbally eviscerating each other followed by hugging it out!!! Please keep these coming!!!!

One thing I'm noticing with some of the names we've got on the three we've seen so far today:

I think the deeper we get, the more we're gonna find out pretty quickly who else was into Dark/Elevation besides me, @Gordlow, and the late great DEAN, and who kept scrolling right on by on Mondays/Tuesdays.

Like, I have not seen a single mention here this week of AEW finally signing Meghan Bayne! You should all be ashamed...

(And - to be faaaaaaair - we're gonna likewise find out who's too broke for ROH, like me 🙂 )

Edit as to not multi post: @LeonidasI love your list too, I was super pleasantly surprised to see Swerve (and really, I think your top 15 would work just fine as like an 'MVP' or 'All-Star/Pro Bowl Team' list as well).

As for your bottom 10: hey, tastes are tastes, and I can't argue with that - however, with that being said: JUICE?!?! Sir...

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2