DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

He apparently is Hirata's son. I haven't watched DG in years. How do Strong Machine J & Mochizuki Jr compare to their fathers?

Wow! That's pretty cool. I knew Mochizuki Junior was Masaaki Mochizuki's son, but I hasn't heard that Strong Machine J was Junji Hirata's son. Super Strong Machine retired in 2018. Strong Machine J started his career in 2019. I had to look it up, but the third guy on their team was Yoshiki Kato, who is "barely a year into his career." As far as I can find, he's not, like, Kato Kung Lee's son or anything like that.

I also found this explanation on F4W: "In Frontier Zone matches, wrestlers from outside of NJPW get the chance to face off against NJPW competition. The Frontier Zone match debuted at Destruction in Ryogoku earlier this month."

It's a cool concept. Hope they keep it up.

As to your question: It was a pretty short match. I also haven't watched any DG in years, even though I have a great time every time I go to one of their shows. So this was my first exposure to all three wrestlers. Mochizuki, who also debuted last year, throws some pretty stiff kicks so in that respect he is like his dad. Small sample size, though. Machine certainly seems smaller than his dad, but he wears the single-shoulder/mask combo really well and absolutely uses some of his old man's trademark moves. He went for a machine suplex but it got broken up. It got a pop welling up which collapsed into a disappointed "oh!" out of a few people, including myself. Presumably, most of us reacting  that way were over 40 years old. Probably my new friend Kazu was among the group reacting. That was the highlight of the match for me. 

Strong Machine J also does a LOT of snazzy breakdancing, which in my opinion is not something his dad did in the ring.

Edit: Just for fun, one more clip from the show:

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not who I would have guessed. 

DDP is also the most frequent opponent of Erik Watts, at least according to Cagematch

Those standings-

1. DDP: 16 matches
  2. Paul Orndorff: 15
  3. Tom Prichard: 14
  4. Vinnie Vegas: 14
  5. Tex Slazenger: 13
  6. Chris Benoit: 12
  7. Arn Anderson: 11
  8. Bobby Eaton: 11

That list covers a cross-section of workers.

• Like 3

Wow, just wow. Surprised I have never heard of this until now. It just throws me since it was such a norm for rookies to throw dropkicks in Japan. Shit, Ayumi Kurihara's moveset felt like half murderous dropkicks. Wonder if they try to land a different way to limit the chances.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I watched No Mercy because @The Natural told me to.

Wasn't a huge fan of Dragunov/Hayes, but loved loved loved Stratton/Lynch. That was a star making performance, largely on the weight of how well the match was laid out and how unselfish Becky was. Everything the focus on how the rising star comes in and takes it to a Wrestlemania main eventer instantly. The result doesn't matter. Stratton gets all the shine spots. Becky still looks tough as shit for being able to survive it all and win. It's the sporting equivalent to when Rafa Nadal turned up as a teenager and started messing everyone's shit up on clay. Didn't matter that he was losing to the top guys at his age, and in tough five setters to boot. You knew that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Also sent me down a path where I wondered if I was the only one who no longer cared whether a match was a good match in isolation and judged purely on the in-ring content?

To me, I think that's a dated 90s mentality when you only had a handful of guys on the roster capable of working a good match, and they were rarely paired together. Now not only is the entire roster capable of working a good match, it's got to the point where literally anyone can come in and work a good match, as is the case with celebrities. Anyone with a basic level of athleticism can come in, be plugged into their celebrity match formula, and it takes a lot to fuck it up if you're genuinely interested in trying. Everyone does moves now. I remember when there was a topic on the big green DVDVR board about how many guys in North America who were regularly doing a shooting star press, and they came up with like 4 names (in 1998).

I feel like the only time I am interested in the actual in-ring product is when someone does something that's completely unique and presented in a way that hasn't been done before, rather than the quality of it. McIntyre/Sheamus/Gunther is probably the last time that's happened where WWE were prepared to present this AJPW style match as its own without its wacky spin to it, or to a lesser extent seeing Vikingo for the first time in AEW as it was so reminiscent of when guys like Rey Jr would come to the US and just blow our mind about what would be expected. 

I am far more interested in having my however many hours of wrestling on TV each week compete with other entertainment forms, and make me want to tune in for more and be a compelling drama/entertainment product that tells a story, rather than movez, selling, blood and guts, workrate, that I can no longer care for as they are such an overproduced commodity?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Old school wrestling promoters would jump on the “Gunther has been banned from wrestling outside of the United States for 6 months” claim.

As for women’s wrestling moves that they might give to the lady wrestlers with long legs, an enzuiguri has potential too

Don't forget the spinning leg kick too! Come to think of it, no one does Booker's arm wring into a leg kick combo anymore. That's should come back.

• Like 1

That's another one.

I would also add the Glaube Feitosa question mark kick. Hell people don't do it enough in MMA/kickboxing let alone wrestling. Someone needs to take up the mantle since Arisa Hoshiki is retired.

• Like 4

So The Daikaiju Pro show was great, it totally blew my expectations out of the water.  Every match was fun, it felt like everyone showed up to show out.  The Nakajima/Veny match was great, Shoko looked shocked at how much the crowd was into her.

Definitely going back for the next show.  I missed live wrestling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

Don't forget the spinning leg kick too! Come to think of it, no one does Booker's arm wring into a leg kick combo anymore. That's should come back.

I can't think of too many people who have the length plus the flexibility to pull it off

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GojiColin said:

So The Daikaiju Pro show was great, it totally blew my expectations out of the water.  Every match was fun, it felt like everyone showed up to show out.  The Nakajima/Veny match was great, Shoko looked shocked at how much the crowd was into her.

Definitely going back for the next show.  I missed live wrestling.

We you the guy who kept logging into the Wi-Fi and making the stream drop?

The IWTV replay will probably be great fun, but the livestream was like watching a highlight package, only live with buffering.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's another one.

I would also add the Glaube Feitosa question mark kick. Hell people don't do it enough in MMA/kickboxing let alone wrestling. Someone needs to take up the mantle since Arisa Hoshiki is retired.

I think Shida did one in the last couple of weeks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's another one.

To be fair it ain't easy to do. I recall Arisa and Ospreay trading moves. Arisa did a perfectly solid OzCutter. Ospreay's version of the kick however sucked so damn much.

If I recall correctly Shotzi Blackheart does a pretty decent one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AxB said:

We you the guy who kept logging into the Wi-Fi and making the stream drop?

The IWTV replay will probably be great fun, but the livestream was like watching a highlight package, only live with buffering.

I assure you I wasn't on my phone all show, I was having too much fun.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, Norwegian Rudo said:

According to Alexa Bliss dropkicks aren't very popular for women because they apparently have a tendency to make them pee themselves...

From King of New York - Page 14 (Survivor Series 87)

2. Fabulous Moolah (captain), Rockin’ Robin, Velvet McIntyre & Jumping Bomb Angels vs. Sensational Sherri (captain), Dawn Marie, Donna Christianello & The Glamour Girls

This match was a total dropkick-fest. Even Moolah threw a dropkick.  Christianello looked like Rachel Dratch from Saturday Night Live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's another one.

I've seen Shida bust out the Question Mark kick. Hers isn't bad

at least 6, if not 7, of those names were on wrestling shows in some form 20+ years later.

Iaukea, Ladd, Matsuda, Watts, Monsoon, and the Alaskan (AWA). Not sure if Danny Hodge was making any non-wrestling appearances on TV in the mid-80s.

Pat Barrett had one AWA match in 1985 according to CageMatch and some matches in England in 1986/87. 

• Like 1