DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/25 - 10/31/2023 - A Lethal Lottery

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to Bryan Danielson/Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kazuchika Okada/Orange Cassidy.

Understatement of the week! That one's gonna be fire.

We were talking in another thread about possible Revolution locations/Sting's retirement, which got me thinking about tonight's gift from TK - examining a few possibilities:

* Creation of an AEW HOF with Sting as the first inductee (if they do a whole 'class' I could easily see Mr. Brodie Lee and perhaps some guys like Jake, Arn, or Tully going in with him - even Taz or Jim Ross, as well. Schiavone deserves it too, but it's obvious he's got a lot more left in the tank than J.R.)

* Presentation of a replica or 'new' WCW/NWA big gold belt. Some years ago, a private collector was able to track down the belt buckle company/maker in Vegas who made the original (want to say the name is Ted Crumrine) and they made a new one for belt makers like Dave Millican to make cast copies of (and I believe another for a private collector) and stated they would never do another. If *anyone* could get them to, I'm sure it's someone with NFL owner dough. Heck, maybe he bought the original from the current owner - you never know.

* A match with Nick Wayne, tag or otherwise-  just a simple 'My gift to you is that you get to beat down this smug little fucker'

* A tag team title shot for he and Darby, or perhaps a trios shot for he/Darby/Edge. We all knew from day one that this was not a TNA or WWE situation where they were going to put the World title on him or something crazy - not saying they go over, but it could be like when WWE had Flair wrestle HHH for the title in Greensboro, where even just getting the shot and hanging in there becomes this big celebratory moment, bringing various folks out to the ring after, etc. There are a number of issues they could intertwine in a Sting/Darby vs Starks/Bill match - FTR, E&C/Luchasaurus/Wayne, BCC - I think a possible Sting/Darby title match would really fit in nicely with that closing Collision segment with all of em out there brawling

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

What's Mutoh/Muta up to since retiring?

Ohhhhh, nice one. They already had a bit of a moment together at Grand Slam II, but that would be super fun - plus, that was more in service of Mutas retirement than Sting's. If I could fantasy book something like that, I'd have House of Black come down and tell Sting they have a gift too - then out comes Muta from ye olde giant boxe with the mist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Is Danielson/Castagnoli vs Okada/Cassidy an actual announced match? That's pretty random even by AEW standards. (Not a complaint; it sounds awesome.)

Yes. It's on all the socials and graphics and whatnot.

Technically, it's not that random since Orange and Cassidy are stablemates.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Understatement of the week! That one's gonna be fire.

We were talking in another thread about possible Revolution locations/Sting's retirement, which got me thinking about tonight's gift from TK - examining a few possibilities:

* Creation of an AEW HOF with Sting as the first inductee (if they do a whole 'class' I could easily see Mr. Brodie Lee and perhaps some guys like Jake, Arn, or Tully going in with him - even Taz or Jim Ross, as well. Schiavone deserves it too, but it's obvious he's got a lot more left in the tank than J.R.)

* Presentation of a replica or 'new' WCW/NWA big gold belt. Some years ago, a private collector was able to track down the belt buckle company/maker in Vegas who made the original (want to say the name is Ted Crumrine) and they made a new one for belt makers like Dave Millican to make cast copies of (and I believe another for a private collector) and stated they would never do another. If *anyone* could get them to, I'm sure it's someone with NFL owner dough. Heck, maybe he bought the original from the current owner - you never know.

* A match with Nick Wayne, tag or otherwise-  just a simple 'My gift to you is that you get to beat down this smug little fucker'

* A tag team title shot for he and Darby, or perhaps a trios shot for he/Darby/Edge. We all knew from day one that this was not a TNA or WWE situation where they were going to put the World title on him or something crazy - not saying they go over, but it could be like when WWE had Flair wrestle HHH for the title in Greensboro, where even just getting the shot and hanging in there becomes this big celebratory moment, bringing various folks out to the ring after, etc. There are a number of issues they could intertwine in a Sting/Darby vs Starks/Bill match - FTR, E&C/Luchasaurus/Wayne, BCC - I think a possible Sting/Darby title match would really fit in nicely with that closing Collision segment with all of em out there brawling

Like all these ideas. If I were to do an inaugural AEW HOF, I'd have Mr. Brodie Lee, Sting, Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley.

I hope the announcement is not a disappointment. Sting/Darby Allin deserve an AEW World Tag Team Titles shot considering the team is undefeated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Is Danielson/Castagnoli vs Okada/Cassidy an actual announced match? That's pretty random even by AEW standards. (Not a complaint; it sounds awesome.)

Yes. Orange Cassidy and Best Friends are in the Chaos stable with Kazuchika Okada the leader of.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

What's Mutoh/Muta up to since retiring?

He's apparently coming back to NOAH to do something, and here is his daughter! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CG6bcaekU&ab_channel=アクトレスガールズActwresgirl’Z

😆 I'm imagining her searching abandoned Baltimore rowhouses until a crackhead introduces her to a different kind of mist. 

Anyway I fully expect Sting's present to be this only with his face on it 

Spoiler

A closer look at the Leatherface Championship belt : r ...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Looked into the Meet and Greet, and it's two of my favorites: Skye Blue and Philly homeboy Wheeler Yuta. But at $40 each for a 15 second photo-op and pre-signed 8x10, I'm going to pass.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

hope the announcement is not a disappointment. Sting/Darby Allin deserve an AEW World Tag Team Titles shot considering the team is undefeated.

It's funny you say that because in the early days when the W/L records were a lot more emphasized, I always wondered how they were gonna explain that one away...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Owen Hart for the AEW HoF, surely?

I suppose that depends on whether it's an AEW Hall of Fame or a Wrestling Hall of Fame as Adjudicated by Tony Khan. It wouldn't make much sense for Owen to go in the former, as he died decades before AEW existed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Maybe TK will give Sting a match with Goldberg at Full Gear, so Sting can avenge his loss at Halloween Havoc 99.

Sting DID say the other week he learned a lot from Hulk Hogan

42 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Could always call him a pioneer of the style of wrestling that AEW features

I was debating whether or not to include his name in my post earlier actually, for exactly the reason @tbarrie said- but if he goes in, you're right on the money. I can see in my mind a nice voiceover on some NJPW footage, saying something like: "Despite Hart's life and career having been tragically cut short long before AEW's formation, there is perhaps no other athlete who embodies the spirit of AEW's mission statement more than the 'King of Harts'"

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

Looked into the Meet and Greet, and it's two of my favorites: Skye Blue and Philly homeboy Wheeler Yuta. But at $40 each for a 15 second photo-op and pre-signed 8x10, I'm going to pass.

Have a blast tonite! There's some potential in this line-up as with most Wednesdays. Nice to have RVD in Philly. I like this team with Hook, and the DOs r a great pair of hands. This could be five minutes and fun or forgettable, or an odd darkhorse? I feel similarly about Bucks/Page v Hardys/Zay and MJF v Robinson. I hope for the best with Shida v Ruby. Both are capable on their best days. None of the talk segments overly intrigue me. But let's have a look at what Tony's got for Stang.  And, of course, so stoked for Danielson/Claudio v OC/Okada. You'll also be getting the potentially fun (or not) Ortiz v Santana bout on Rampage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

For what it's worth, Schiavone says on the Control Center that Sting's gift that will be presented to him tonight is "historic" and that "nothing like this has ever happened to a wrestler in pro wrestling" 

A tag team partner that doesn't turn on him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

hope for the best with Shida v Ruby. Both are capable on their best days. N

You just reminded me: I didn't get to post this in last week's thread because it was closed by the time we watched Collision on Monday night, but I loved that little interaction between Ruby and Cool Hand Ang - and the way they transitioned through folks in that whole Lexi promo segment was fantastic IMO

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

For what it's worth, Schiavone says on the Control Center that Sting's gift that will be presented to him tonight is "historic" and that "nothing like this has ever happened to a wrestler in pro wrestling" 

THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2