DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Wonder if they pulled off the Con-chair-to to the arm (Con-Chairarm-to?) because Darby legit hurt his arm and needs to be written off TV for a bit

He’s climbing Mount Everest in April. He hired guides that told him he’s required to do months of training, so next month he’s going to Switzerland, November he’ll be in China, and in February he’s going to New Zealand. He talked about it on a podcast a little under a month ago, and mentioned it again at the WrestleDream scrum.

• Like 1

Pleased as hell for Big Bill. Sort of floated around a bit aimlessly on the card for a bit, but he did good things with Moriarty and (briefly) Cage, & now he's got a much better Enzo to work with.

Whilst he's good as a big heel, I think there's a lot of untapped potential there and he could still get a world title run as a babyface. In either company.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, forgot all about that. So he's climbing up a deadly mountain, the sherpas says train like your life depends on it, and he says "well a couple more life threatening bumps first aren't gonna hurt". Gotcha. 

That Christian match and the conchairto to the arm might be his swan song for awhile, so we’ll see.

Of course, as soon as I say that, watch them announce Darby versus Nick Wayne in a cage match or something for two weeks from now 😂

• Haha 1

It's Canadian Thanksgiving so I'm playing catch up a few matches at a time. Loved Starks and Bill winning the tag titles, especially Ricky directing Bill on the chokeslams. If they're just transitional champions that's a shame, if they can hold the belts for a while it's a nice way to rehab Ricky a little after losing to Punk and Danielson before moving him back into singles contention. I think he can still be a firey babyface champion, maybe his size means he's destined to have more success as a heel. The promo later was really good too

Fletcher's youthful exuberance launched him face first into that guardrail. Goodbye, brain cells

Still need to see Storm/Hogan and the Copeland promo

Sorry to be a bummer but some of those crowd shots were rough. Looks like Maverick Centre can be set up for 12,000 and they had about 2300 there

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I loved Chikara circa 02-08ish. 

I'm glad I got to be a part of early Chikara. I did play-by-play for the Best of 2002 DVD, which included the first YLC tournament and the first main event between Reckless-Quack-Montoya and Punk-Cabana-Hero. I also did YLC 2 (Larry Sweeney's army hilariously grew larger throughout the evening) and Best of 2003. I ring announced one show for Chikara in Wall, PA, which I remember for Eddie Kingston shouting "I hate lucha!" during his match, and I cracked up laughing while introducing Private Eye, because I didn't see the full outfit in the locker room. 

• Like 3

Speaking of Fletcher’s tope suicida (almost literally), did the crowd barriers seem a little closer than usual? I wondered that even more after Komander eschewed the rope walk for a dive that didn’t involve a rope springboard. The whole layout seemed a little wonky.

At the time, I actually thought it was Danielson reversing the tope by sidestepping and pushing Fletcher along.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Frankly I just put it on mute when Edge came out. I have no use for his WWE-return mic-a-thons being rehashed here.

It was my greatest fear as well, but I can safely say I've dug his mic work in AEW. He's exponentially benefitting from the lack of WWE scripting. His mic work thus far has been fun and kinda infectious.

Fun Collision. With an especially excellent first half hour. The FTR portion of the opening montage set the table incredibly well for the title switch. The body language alone suggested these guys are fucked up. That said, I still didn't see Starks/Bill over FTR for the title switch. Is Big Bill the secret top star in the making? I loved Nigel rubbing it in at the end, standing nearly over Cash proclaiming 'top guys out, thee guys in!' I'm so thankful Riccaboni's too-quick-sending to the next package during the celebration took a few to switch over. Also, providing a replay later and giving the champs a celebatory promo really assisted this title switch.

Bryan Danielson v Kyle Fletcher did exactly what it needed to do and more. So fun. Fletcher's tope was Darby-esque self endangerment. Fletcher's another guy who suddenly seems like the future of the company. Oh, and that gnarly submission Fletcher applied that Nigel called for the replay on.

BCG v Angelico/Metalik/Gravity
was also pretty fun. Metalik looked a lot better here than he has on ROH. Angelico and the Asses looked great here too. Juice is making the most of his minutes, but goddamn is some of his offense complete dogshit - see that awful looking weak leg lariat. I also dug the post match Jay White promo. Jay's seemingly always been great in ring and blessed with special charisma, but his mic work has gotten a lot stronger since joining AEW.

Nice Nick Wayne promo. That dude oozes lil dickhead heel. I skimmed Acclaimed v Savages. Impressive feat of strength from Caster. I'd love to see the trios title find a new home. I've had my fill of Dad Ass regularly featuring on TV. Let's get back to the duo chasing gold. Warms my heart to see Toni Storm finally connecting with the audience. Toni v Kiera did what it needed to. Kingston v Komander was fine if a bit forgettable. Ha, JR talking about Eddie's bod pre-match. ADAM!!!'s Main Event Promo segment, tho not particulary great, set-up the Tuesday bout fairly well. Lastly, just stating the obvious here, Nigel McGuinness is a fucking awesome commentator. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Ok, I think that if they can get away with releasing a "script" to Toni Storm's match, the next step  stealing a bit from old 80's-90's WWE:

Toni Storm grabbing her opponent, and then channels her inner Curt Hennig and goes "NOW YOU'RE GOING TO SEE... A TITTY SLAP!"

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

▷ Nick Wayne - Fights, Stats, Videos - FITE

You know, thinking about it, the kid looks like Ospreay if he had a giant syringe stuck in his body and all his muscle mass sucked out. Or if they just starved him for a month.

That kid is so punchable looking. I can't believe I'm agreeing with something JR said, but Nick needs a trip to woodshed. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That kid is so punchable looking. I can't believe I'm agreeing with something JR said, but Nick needs a trip to woodshed. 

For real. Somebody said something about how it made zero sense to them that Nick would align himself with Christian over his mother. Apparently they've never known an 18yo before. Total shithead energy. 

• Like 7

IAN ON COMMENTARY!!!

Southern Hospitality started playing during the FTR match.  Then there was weird noise during Danielson-Fletcher, sounded like an airplane directly over the arena or something, then later in that match some weird music started playing.  I literally wrote down, "someone at Time Warner fucking with AEW" because this is coming after the DVR thing and the audio issues on Dynamite (which are becoming a regular thing). 

Now I'm listening to Observer Radio and DAVE is speculating that someone is fucking with AEW.  Apparently Dax and Nigel's real names were put in the description of the show. 

I really dug Danielson-Fletcher.  Danielson gave him a ton and KF looked great.  I know some people here slag on him.  Whatever, the kid is good.  Promos need work.  Davis is gonna be out for a while and they kinda blew off him going with Callis, curious what they come up with for him

Juice was real quick to adopt the Stray Bullet nickname

I think that's the first time I've heard Angelico's theme!

"HE'S SLOW MOTION!  IT'S A TACTIC!"

Throwing the ass eating guys out there followed by Toni and Kiera was interesting booking for Utah.  I felt bad for Kiera getting zero reaction, plus it's racist ass Utah where she's ostensibly supposed to be a face against a heel? who gets cheered....she got put in a tough spot here but I thought they had a fun match

Haven't been terribly impressed by Kommander in AEW yet.  Eddie has experience as a lucha base but I thought this was just ok.  Show is going to get killed in the ratings

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution

13 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

IAN ON COMMENTARY!!!

Southern Hospitality started playing during the FTR match.  Then there was weird noise during Danielson-Fletcher, sounded like an airplane directly over the arena or something, then later in that match some weird music started playing.  I literally wrote down, "someone at Time Warner fucking with AEW" because this is coming after the DVR thing and the audio issues on Dynamite (which are becoming a regular thing). 

Now I'm listening to Observer Radio and DAVE is speculating that someone is fucking with AEW.  Apparently Dax and Nigel's real names were put in the description of the show. 

I really dug Danielson-Fletcher.  Danielson gave him a ton and KF looked great.  I know some people here slag on him.  Whatever, the kid is good.  Promos need work.  Davis is gonna be out for a while and they kinda blew off him going with Callis, curious what they come up with for him

Juice was real quick to adopt the Stray Bullet nickname

I think that's the first time I've heard Angelico's theme!

"HE'S SLOW MOTION!  IT'S A TACTIC!"

Throwing the ass eating guys out there followed by Toni and Kiera was interesting booking for Utah.  I felt bad for Kiera getting zero reaction, plus it's racist ass Utah where she's ostensibly supposed to be a face against a heel? who gets cheered....she got put in a tough spot here but I thought they had a fun match

Haven't been terribly impressed by Kommander in AEW yet.  Eddie has experience as a lucha base but I thought this was just ok.  Show is going to get killed in the ratings

Easy on Utah, at least in this instance, Toni Storm is a babyface. An odd one at that. Maybe if Kiera had done something to connect in a heel manner it wouldn't have caused you the confusion. I like Kiera, and kinda think her real issue is the lack of mic time, she can talk, but she hasn't exactly been consistent in ring nor made the most of her minutes. Nonetheless, good hand. 

Ppl are down on Fletcher? I assume that's somebody from my ignore list. 

I didn't catch the Meltzer speculation on somebody at WBD fucking with AEW. Very strange. I did catch him the other day making an odd reference to something holding up a Stardom/AEW relationship. Love to know what that's about. 

• Like 1

*Kiera Hogan gets a 2 count off a legdrop*

Nigel: "Oh no! Oh the humanity!"

Luchasaurus really murdered Copeland with a... bulldog?

Kyle Fletcher is really athletic, tall enough to be billed over 6 feet, and only 24 so he's got a lot of upside to say the least, and I think he was quite good in his match with Danielson too. In 6 years I could see Fletcher being a high level singles guy. I'm not sure why Aussie Open doesn't hit with me as much as both guys individually but with Mark Davis down maybe this a chance to give Fletcher a little undercard feud to see how he can fare on his own

• Like 2

So count me with folks who got screwed over by the DVR. I saw the early start time, checked the schedule and didn't think about manually updating it so I just got the second hour. The Toni/Kiera match was good and I thought Caster's rap towed the line in a funish way. Bummed I didn't see Starks win though. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:33 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think you're on point with this. Along the same lines, and I could be wrong, but my impression is that some of the recent visual changes to the shows like the new LED stages, graphics packages, and things like that are because of WWE establishing a certain presentation, to a degree. I see talk from a segment of fans of that generation who feel that anything that doesn't resemble WWE looks low-rent.

I'm the opposite (but also old)...I haven't watched WWE in years, but if it's on TV and I take a peek, the onslaught of bright colors and constant motion drives me away.  It's just too much.  It feels like a wrestling show taking place inside a Dave and Buster's inside a Chuck E. Cheese's.

For a couple of "old school pros," FTR sure did booboo face their way through their opening promo. 

Fletcher/Danielson was so good!  But yeah, I had to rewind that tope because that boy nearly died.

If the Iron Savages lean any further into this new gimmick, they'll start carrying jam and syrup to the ring.

Riccaboni >>>>>>>> (infinity) >>>>>>>> Qanon-ass Kevin Kelley

Caster stealing/paraphrasing Ice Cube's "I'm Utah, I got multiple bitches" line.

Eddie vs Komander was a little sloppy but Eddie made it work through sheer force of will.  JR talks his size queen bullshit about a dude's physique so it must be a day that ends in a Y.

That arena was empty as fuck.  More black drape than a funeral.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would like people to start losing titles because their competitor was the better wrestler on that night and not because of the injury piling up story. Unless they start an angle where someone like Roddy wins a title and comes out mummified in athletic tape and then no-sells the injuries in the final stretch to steal wins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm the opposite (but also old)...I haven't watched WWE in years, but if it's on TV and I take a peek, the onslaught of bright colors and constant motion drives me away.  It's just too much.  It feels like a wrestling show taking place inside a Dave and Buster's inside a Chuck E. Cheese's.

For a couple of "old school pros," FTR sure did booboo face their way through their opening promo. 

Fletcher/Danielson was so good!  But yeah, I had to rewind that tope because that boy nearly died.

If the Iron Savages lean any further into this new gimmick, they'll start carrying jam and syrup to the ring.

Riccaboni >>>>>>>> (infinity) >>>>>>>> Qanon-ass Kevin Kelley

Caster stealing/paraphrasing Ice Cube's "I'm Utah, I got multiple bitches" line.

Eddie vs Komander was a little sloppy but Eddie made it work through sheer force of will.  JR talks his size queen bullshit about a dude's physique so it must be a day that ends in a Y.

That arena was empty as fuck.  More black drape than a funeral.

I agree with all this. I've said before that trying to watch WWE makes me queasy from all the cuts and lights and angles.

Saw a photo someone took at the show during the tag title match and yeah, that place was barren. They actually did a decent job on TV making it look less empty than it actually was.

• Like 1