DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

This is how I misread it too! I thought it was slang for people who like a certain wrestler i.e. "count me in as a member of the Richard Slinger Club!", but I couldn't think of anyone whose name or catchphrase references Chili. 

Well, I want Skyline now, so thanks for that…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

I misread this as "Chili Club" because I'm tired and thought you defected to another chain restaurant.

I feel like you and I don’t talk about food enough. 
A year ago my wife and I went to Chili’s for the first time in a very long time when lil Octopus was having a sleepover at uncle Giraffe’s. I was very impressed but there were minor things to take note of. The fajitas were very fun but a tad bland with certain ingredients. I will say, the ambiance was to die for and a fantastic staff, but you could tell they had a dark secret and as an outsider if we dug too deep into would likely not come out the same. 4 out of 5 mozzarella sticks. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

You probably didn't have to dig deep, those roaches aren't exclusively floor-level and below. 

This thread is walking dead anyway, so! Chili: Beans or No Beans? Personally, I have never had chili WITHOUT beans. But I only think I've passed through Texas on the way to Florida, so, you know.

10 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I thought so too, on both counts. Her and Brody as a little clique-within-a-faction feels right to me. Also was I just not paying attention before or has Hart put on a lot of muscle mass recently? I don't recall her looking quite so cut in the Anna Jay streetfight.

I like Julia as the playground bully who knows she can hid behind he big bro

• Like 3

Catching up on things. Really awesome Collision. The triple threat was a great fun opener. Loved the little bits like Luchasaurus staring at the title and at first turning away when Christian reached for it. Hell of a way to get the title on Christian for real. RVD & Hook tag was a blast, I'm all for more RVD in AEW. Big fan of Kiera so it was cool to see her for a couple minutes at least, one of my favs. Julia is killing it and I'd like to see her as TBS Champ. 

Thought Jay/Andrade was excellent. Jay's selling throughout was on point, loved everything on the Andrade spinning back elbow spot, that ruled. Jay having to use the ropes to bring Andrade up for the finish and then still selling the legs after from the figure 4/8 was great. Both guys work very well together. Main event felt epic, thought the finish came off pretty much perfectly with the chain around the knee. 

Forgot to mention the FTR/WorkHorsemen tag, which I thought was really good for a short match. The reaction and pop for the Workhorsemen flurry with JD's moonsault and Aussie Open on commentary was great stuff.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

Collision was a good one. I decided to watch the refereeing on this episode and there are solid ones in the company, outside of Aubrey I have no idea who they are and that's fantastic

A lot of people with generally good opinions like 2.0, I want to give them a shot now that they are no longer in the JAS. I will continue to give them a shot

I agree Julia Hart has improved and the package with Brody is great, she could get built longer if she's going to lose to Willow. I wish Kiera Hogan didn't have to be the fall gal here

Jay/Andrade was a really good match by the end

I enjoyed Workhorsemen/FTR, it wasn't anything more than it had to be. Can't say I'm a fan of the meta nature of the post-match promo

So what do y'all think Tony means by "begin a new era"? Just going to more regular PPVs, right?

Texas Death Match was awesome. Starks' springboard dive was rad as hell, his chair shots decidedly less so (but maybe that shouldn't be a complaint). I get the criticisms of having Starks lose again especially with Danielson seemingly on a retirement run, the question is whether he was elevated in defeat. And unfortunately I think the answer is No, at least in this case. Starks doesn't have to prove he can hang in hardcore matches, he proved everything he needed to to me when Darby Allin ollied off his back thumbtacks-first shortly after Ricky's debut. But Danielson didn't really benefit from this either, he isn't more of a threat to ZSJ now and with 8 days between matches I don't think he can say one match would really affect the other. Odd booking decision, although like everything it's about the follow up and both guys are capable of spinning anything into gold

JR line of the week: "He may need therapy. Hell, I don't know, maybe we ALL need it."

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 3

AEW TV really helped me through the weekend with my 6 month old baby not wanting to sleep during the night. Binge watch wrestling while sleep depraved is something else though. 

So the Righteous… of the all the ROh teams to push. They chose the Wyatt family light team? The music, the look, the pose they do. It all looks like a shitty tribute act. I don’t know, maybe they did it first. But having the Hardyz job so easily to them just seems wrong. 

• Like 2

It’s funny, because before Vinny Marseglia was doing the swamp Jesus gimmick, he was mostly mentioned as the punchline of the “Mum, can we have Jeff Hardy?” “We have Jeff Hardy at home” meme.

Lots of catch up here. We were away this weekend (Water Park resort for the 6th year old's birthday; if it helps, we went to Denny's twice because we weren't paying for the meals there). I don't have a lot to say. I watched Rampage over the span of 2-3 days, except for the main, and man, was there a lot of face-in-peril on that card. Most of them were good FIPs; just a crazy number of tags. I thought Julia vs Skye was pretty good actually. Fairly hard hitting. I was surprised that Santana could get Bronson up like that. I'm up to the Andrade match on Collision. Darby vs Christian vs Luchasaurus feels like one of the better six-mans ever.

And hey, I've said this the last 2-3 PPVs, but this looks like their best PPV in a year, so that's great, right? I could do without the big dumb 4 team tag but other than that, I'm on board.

• Like 1

I like the Righteous, so I wouldn't mind seeing them win the ROH tag titles. I wish there was more interaction between Vincent and Matt Taven during the 4 way tag and some explanation that Vincent was a member of the Kingdom before turning on Taven. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

I feel like you and I don’t talk about food enough. 
A year ago my wife and I went to Chili’s for the first time in a very long time when lil Octopus was having a sleepover at uncle Giraffe’s. I was very impressed but there were minor things to take note of. The fajitas were very fun but a tad bland with certain ingredients. I will say, the ambiance was to die for and a fantastic staff, but you could tell they had a dark secret and as an outsider if we dug too deep into would likely not come out the same. 4 out of 5 mozzarella sticks. 

Maybe we'd come out for the better if we discovered the mystery behind the dark secret of Chili's. Maybe.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This thread is walking dead anyway, so! Chili: Beans or No Beans? Personally, I have never had chili WITHOUT beans. But I only think I've passed through Texas on the way to Florida, so, you know.

Double beans at my house! Black and garbanzos. Of course chili dogs are an exception to beans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

The fajitas are people....there I said it

Cue Soylent Green joke (there actually is a Soylent, Inc. that makes protein powders and shit nowadays, check yr local grocery)

George Takei - Soylent green is people! It's people! | Facebook

EDIT: https://soylent.com/products/soylent-green-squared "The flavor is unique and mysterious for the complex taste of humanity. When you buy this product you can guarantee it is sustainable and crafted from ingredients that are ethically sourced." Good job, you jokers.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You probably didn't have to dig deep, those roaches aren't exclusively floor-level and below. 

Texas Red is just glorified enchilada sauce, they way they worship that shit down there is just ridiculous. Beans add another dimension of texture and depth, and also allows you to make the chili even spicier without it being palate blowing.

Anyway, finally caught Collision and that was a good show. Best I’ve ever seen Andrade look. I am very high on Jay White and would eventually like to see what he could do breaking away from a faction. Loved seeing the Workhorsemen getting to hit a ton of stuff and win the crowd over. I think The Kingdom is awesome and The Righteous are awful. I think Skye and Julia had a much better match, and I am also glad they didn’t job Willow out. The main was not the best Texas death match I’ve seen in AEW but it was still good stuff. I agree they need to give Ricky another big win but he definitely got elevated in defeat.

I will probably end up getting WrestleDream, just too much good stuff.

• Like 5