DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

So I watched WCCW Star Wars '82 on WWE Classics... and I had seen clips of Flair/KVE before, but never the whole match, and I gotta say... boy was it sloppy and dull. There were some good parts don't get me wrong, but this was the first time I had ever seen the whole chain of events with Gordy slamming the door, Hayes showing signs of a heel turn earlier in the match, the eventual ref stoppage, etc., and I gotta say it was just a sloppy mess. Like, if that series of events unfolded on a WWE PPV nowadays people would be swearing off the promotion forever. I guess it really speaks to the popularity of the Von Erich's more than anything that this actually kicked off an even bigger boom period for World Class. 

It was a sloppy match but I liked the story of Hayes being over zealous in trying to get the hometown guy to win and then saying, "eff it" when KVE refuses his help. It's funny b/c everyone remembers that match as Gordy slams KVE's head with the cage door and Flair wins but the match goes on for a while after that and Flair wins via ref stoppage.

• Like 1

I really hated the ref stoppage finish to the KVE/Lawler unification match. Just stupid on so many levels. The guy is in firm control of the match, basically has his opponent put away with his finishing move and then the ref stoppage.

If you watch the entire show, they heavily imply that the AWA officials wanted to make sure Lawler left with both belts.. 

the Superclash 3 announcers or WCCW announcers?

just asking since the WCCW also claimed that a "Sumo Ref" screwed KVE out of the title in Japan in 1984

Re: KVE vs Flair

I thought everything until the cage door sucked. After that there was at least drama but the match still wasn't good. I hated the finish as well, 3 on 1 and Kerry gets brained by the cage door and frame and Flair still cant get a pinfall. It's ridiculous. I don't dislike ref stoppages, I think Cena vs Sandow or Cena vs ADR would've been fine with one but this one sucked. It wasn't as bad as the Luger one however.

I think my dislike is due to how I hate watching the Von Erichs in Texas. I like what I've seen of them elsewhere but in Texas they're demigods and it's beyond boring. I totally get why they're booked the way they are but I hate it. The booking of the boys makes the WCCW TV a chore to get through. It's like Cornette said; you know the Von Erichs are going to get over on the heel so whatever the heel does is safe heat and it's dull.

Re: KVE vs Flair

I thought everything until the cage door sucked. After that there was at least drama but the match still wasn't good. I hated the finish as well, 3 on 1 and Kerry gets brained by the cage door and frame and Flair still cant get a pinfall. It's ridiculous. I don't dislike ref stoppages, I think Cena vs Sandow or Cena vs ADR would've been fine with one but this one sucked. It wasn't as bad as the Luger one however.

I think my dislike is due to how I hate watching the Von Erichs in Texas. I like what I've seen of them elsewhere but in Texas they're demigods and it's beyond boring. I totally get why they're booked the way they are but I hate it. The booking of the boys makes the WCCW TV a chore to get through. It's like Cornette said; you know the Von Erichs are going to get over on the heel so whatever the heel does is safe heat and it's dull.

Watching WCCW now, I can totally get why people would hate the Von Erich's today. I mean the word nepotism doesn't do them justice. Fritz Von Erich might be one of history's greatest monsters just on how he monitized David's death alone. Out of all the Von Erich's after David died, I'm really surprised Kevin wasn't pushed to the moon as the family savior.

Compared to Kerry he was far more stable and reliable.

If WCCW were around today, there would be some down right nuclear Cena Sucks type crowds with men rooting for The Freebirds.