DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

God, not that low. Juicey Boy is fun IMO. Stupid yeah, but still fun. 

What is kinda crazy about this is I was watching the AWA Territories episode yesterday (which I drastically underrated in my scoring of all those episodes, it had an all-time Adrian + Bobby story, an all-time Mad Dog story, and the late Ken Patera himself explaining the Mickey Dee's story) and they talked about how Vince paid Hogan more money to stay home and he didn't do the right thing and lay down on his way out. Punk has been fired and can claim, already has in fact, that he's their champion. He's not laying down -- doing the right thing, as tradition would dictate, and what HE would probably dictate should be done if it was somebody else. This is complicated by him being fired but still. It's an interesting twist to everything. He didn't even lose his last match! 

This is just me talking out of my ass, and I don’t really know since nobody outside of the announcer’s on Dynamite and people on Collision ever referenced Punk being the Real World’s Champion - but I’d imagine the ideal outcome of all this was Punk laying down for MJF eventually, potentially with the face/heel roles reversed this time. Ricky was never going to beat Punk for that belt, but the MJF program proved that you don’t need to beat Punk to be elevated (even if he did beat him, once - also in Chicago!).

I don’t have a hard time believing that if Punk was to have worked All Out somehow, and everyone knew it was his last match, that he’d do the honors for someone. But it would have to be someone Punk liked, obviously. He’s not gonna do a last match against Matt Jackson or something and lay down. If it was Ricky, Hobbs, Joe, Brody, etc then yeah I could see it.

In any case, I know they supposedly told WBD that the soft brand split is over but I think that’s a mistake. It’ll eventually fall into the same trappings as Rampage, which is just mostly nothing matches and a platform for Dynamite the next week. Collision as it was at least had an identity as a place where people who couldn’t get into the door on Dynamite could go to Collision and be seen. And not to mention it’s more travel for people who’ll work both main shows now too.

• Like 6

If Collision was Dark on steroids they’d be in a good spot. A bunch of cool competitive matches with people not on the rest of the shows regularly mixed with some squashes, a breezy commentary team that isn’t as invested in pushing long term storylines and can just riff, and then one major star in a main event or angle that’s been promoted heavily on Dynamite and Rampage like MJF/Cole vs FTR. They had the right idea, the brand split was just for the wrong reasons with the wrong talent pool.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

In any case, I know they supposedly told WBD that the soft brand split is over but I think that’s a mistake. It’ll eventually fall into the same trappings as Rampage, which is just mostly nothing matches and a platform for Dynamite the next week. Collision as it was at least had an identity as a place where people who couldn’t get into the door on Dynamite could go to Collision and be seen. And not to mention it’s more travel for people who’ll work both main shows now too.

Agree with this. I was a long-time WWE brand split defender because I understood Smackdown becomes a nothing show if you don't have it and it's the same here.

I feel bad for a lot of ppl in all this. I'd feel bad for CM Punk, but the truth is one suspects he will remain fairly self-contented through all of this, the vibe I get is that AJ is 'Rie or Die' and the same can probably be said for his closest friends. I sort of hope he does find a way to wrestle again though - not sure I'd watch but nonetheless

What @Godfrey said was also true, I think on Stanford U's MBA's Paths To Power course they talk about how you need to be able to make key relationships work no matter what. Punk had to make the relationship with The Elite work, and he did. Now the reverse is also arguably true, and The Elite definitely don't come out of this pearly white indeed maybe it turns out they did the Dark Arts more than a bit in all this - but that's also part of the game. Maybe Hangman started it, but what he said ended up sounding prophetic. Nonetheless, I can't help thinking that what Punk was trying to do might end up somewhat happening anyway and infact may be politically more viable with him gone.

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

I hope they keep the brand split a little bit, even if its not official. I like BCC and Jericho, but it was nice having a show where they didn't dominate 25% of the TV time. Let them stay primarily on Dynamite doing their thing and give some of the other stars a chance to shine on the other.

If both shows just end up being the "same" in regards to wrestlers and style, I'll probably just end up not watching Collision anymore as Dynamite is enough Dynamite for me. I stopped watching Rampage a long time ago as it just felt like a lesser Dynamite extension. But we'll see how things go in the next month.

• Like 5

I feel like instead of the brand split, they’ll just have wrestlers appear on one but not the other in any given week, to help with travel. So Ricky Starks could appear on Dynamite, but it would be less likely he’ll be on that week’s Collision and vice versa.

I don’t think Collision becomes Rampage as long as it’s taped live. It’s always going to have more energy and seem more important than a show taped at the end of a long night. 

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

Just now, elizium said:

I feel like instead of the brand split, they’ll just have wrestlers appear on one but not the other in any given week, to help with travel. So Ricky Starks could appear on Dynamite, but it would be less likely he’ll be on that week’s Collision and vice versa. 

This is my thought too - and it helps with not burning through every date on any given deal

As far as I know, AEW doesn’t do contracts with set dates. You’re under contract, you’re there when they need you. I don’t think WWE does really either, unless you’re being brought in as a short term special attraction like Goldberg. Maybe Lesnar? He’s kind of in his own world 

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I hope they keep the brand split a little bit, even if its not official. I like BCC and Jericho, but it was nice having a show where they didn't dominate 25% of the TV time. Let them stay primarily on Dynamite doing their thing and give some of the other stars a chance to shine on the other.

If both shows just end up being the "same" in regards to wrestlers and style, I'll probably just end up not watching Collision anymore as Dynamite is enough Dynamite for me. I stopped watching Rampage a long time ago as it just felt like a lesser Dynamite extension. But we'll see how things go in the next month.

I still think killing the Dark shows was a mistake, because the “WCW C-show” style and booking popped me as someone who loved those times. All it needed was an AEW TV title to defend on there and you had gold.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

And I am trying to avoid hyperbole, but I do think this is going to be the point where AEW crumbles and either becomes another Impact AT BEST, or closes down.

I don’t think it’s that dire, but a little more than a year ago there was a possibility of them being real competition for WWE and now it looks like they’re going to perpetually be the number two promotion. Which is fine, there isn’t any reason there should only be one major national promotion. There’s room for them, at least for the foreseeable future. 

8 minutes ago, elizium said:

As far as I know, AEW doesn’t do contracts with set dates. You’re under contract, you’re there when they need you. I don’t think WWE does really either, unless you’re being brought in as a short term special attraction like Goldberg. Maybe Lesnar? He’s kind of in his own world 

Ah, I must have been misinformed or thinking about something I read re: a specific deal for someone like a Punk.

Well there was that whole Elite trios match in Chicago where they did the arm biting, Omega did a GTS and Matt Jackson “botched” a Buckshot Lariat. But yeah outside of that and little inside jokes, and Omega talking about it a little on Renee’s podcast, they’ve kept quiet. Probably at the behest of AEW lawyers and their own personal legal counsel.

• Like 2

Having people just sort of randomly show up on one of the two shows per weeks isn't the answer. I think a lot of people will tune out if they don't know where their favorites are going to appear. Like up until now if you liked Punk, FTR, BCGold, HOB, Hobbs, Andrade you knew where to find them. You would watch on Saturdays every week. If you are an Elite die hard, you know Wednesday is your night. If they go to the randomizing thing, if you're a Miro fan you have to watch both shows and hope he shows up on one. It's more time investment than some people are willing to put in. I think it would cause a lot of apathy and you're going to see both shows suffer.

When Dynamite was the only show they had, you knew it was the important show. Once they started doing Rampage, Dynamite felt a little less special. And Rampage mostly tapered off and became an after thought. Adding in Collision, it at least felt special / different because you were going to get things the other two shows weren't giving you. Dynamite didn't lose anything, because it wasn't taking away from it. Now tho if it's 3 shows & 5 hours of everything being the same thing, it's all less special. It's diluted.

Basically the idea I'm trying to get across is this: What is more fun to watch? Two separate 2 hour Marvel Movies that are different tones with different characters, or one 5 hour MCU streaming series that is all the same characters the whole time?

• Like 1

Finally, as for Collision, get rid of Kevin Kelly, ditch at least half of the enhancement matches, keep the format the same, and keep giving bigger names that didn’t get time on Dynamite some time on Collision and if they’re not on Collision then make sure they’re on Dynamite. Top angles or feuds should have some crossover between the two shows, but really, for the most part, if someone isn’t on Wednesday, then they should be on the Saturday show and vice versa. Shit isn’t hard.

• Like 2

Okay, I think I got most of it.   

Punk stuff in this thread: 

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10604-the-termination-of-cm-punk-by-the-coward-tony-khan/

Rest of the stuff here.  

God, I hope people get the reference I'm making with that thread title.

• Like 9

If they don’t have major singles programs lined up for Darby and OC coming out of All Out I’m hoping they get together for a tag title program with FTR. They were too good together during the tourney over the summer for that to be a one-off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, I think I got most of it.   

Punk stuff in this thread: 

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10604-the-termination-of-cm-punk-by-the-coward-tony-khan/

Rest of the stuff here.  

God, I hope people get the reference I'm making with that thread title.

I mean, I know what you were going for, but I'll always remember this parody instead.

• Thanks 1