DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'd say it feels like their best card in a year but a lot of that depends on how you feel about Samoa Joe vs Shane Taylor.

No matter how good Shane Taylor may be, he has always felt super bush league to me. I think it's his gear that does nothing to hide his child bearing hips. He should be wrestling in a suit ala Mr. Hughes. 

• Like 1

To clarify on my earlier post, while I don't agree the match line-up for All Out is "much better" than All In's, I think it's pretty good. I'll be watching.

On the other hand, as a non-RoH viewer, seeing guys I've never even heard of get a PPV spot seems pretty weird.

But at the end of the day Darby vs Luchasaurus or Orange vs Moxley would each be worth the price alone.

4 minutes ago, Log said:

I’m calling it now: it’s all a work and Punk shows up tonight!*

*I don’t actually believe this. I’m just making a wild shot on the 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance it happens. Then I’ll look so smart. 

Someone had to say it

1 hour ago, A.M.B. said:

Haven’t seen any spoilers yet, any matches worth seeking out on this show?

ALL OF THEM. 

Maybe I'm just in a great mood tonight but this was an all-time PPV.   I'd say there was maybe 2 instant classics between Danielson vs. Starks and Omega vs. Takeshita and a bunch of other great stuff. 

Mox vs. O.C. was really good too,  a tribute to O.C.  

Miro vs. Hobbs was a blast.  MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT!!

• Like 6

Despite all the drama surrounding AEW this weekend and the haphazard way this show was thrown together, this show continued in the tradition of AEW PPVs over-delivering despite a lackluster build or plans and storylines getting derailed. Just about every match told a story and was really well put together. The crowd were either behaving themselves or just cleverly miced. Can anyone who was there live speak on the attendance? Collision looked pretty damn sparse last night.

Some of my least favorite tropes in wrestling involve the "heel acts legit injured to the point of having medical come out then fakes out the opponent" and "wrestler gets taken out of the match with the injury but runs out hurt and makes the save". I was thinking we'd get the former here but ended up with the latter. I get Dark Order are basically JTTS but they still ended up looking like goofs just so MJF and Cole could do their schtick. That said I'm all in on a Joe/MJF program.

Taylor and Joe had a nice stiff hoss fight that delivered as expected. Based on Joe and MJF's interaction before the match I thought they might actually have Taylor go over so Joe could move into place for something else. Either way Taylor should get a bigger push.

Luchasaurus/Darby was about as expected. A bunch of random people with no connection to the feud was a bit odd. I had been expecting AR Fox to make the save to keep his redemption angle going, though maybe him not coming out was part of the story?

The only issue with Hobbs/Miro was that neither guy really needed to lose here. Miro has never been ever to have any steady momentum and Hobbs' face/heel alignment and feuds change on a regular basis. The crowd was really hot for this one and both guys looked great. I do think Miro needed the win a bit more given how sporadically he's around and Hobbs got his head back afterwards giving us a sign we get another meat slapper out of these guys soon.

Ruby is pretty hit or miss for me but she was on her game for tonight. Statlander being awesome had a bit to do with that as well.

Like other people I had concerns about Danielson doing something ill advised in this match when he's not 100% yet. I'd had to be either of these guys in the morning as they whipped the dogshit out of eachother. The stipulation was smartly worked into all the spots and both guys got juice to keep things looking more brutal. I'm here for Danielson getting Final Countdown as his ppv theme.

BCC and Kingston/Shibata had a really stiff exchange that made me want to see a Claudio/Shibata solo outing. All the guys got their shit in, moves looked snug, just about everything landed and had an undercurrent of intesnity to it. This reminded me of something that would have main evented an ROH show in 2006.

I think Omega's head is still sailing somewhere over Lake Michigan after that brutal lariat Take hit. The match in general was something that would have been right at home in NJPW. There's some finisher killing and gratuitous kickouts to be expected in this, mainly that avalance blue thunder bomb, but I don't think they went too far here. Really surprised Takeshita went over more or less clean. This should have been the main event.

The parts of the 8 man tag I paid attention to were non-stop spots with a bit of clever interplay between The Bucks and FTR cooperating on moves with eachother. The ending seemed really abrupt and I kept waiting for something to happen after but it just kind of fizzled out.

Moxley had a match where he didn't get color but the other guy got a gusher. That has to be a first, at least in AEW. I think this was the time for OC to drop the title as his schtick is starting to get old.

• Like 5

• Dark Order should have won. And I'm gonna riot if MJF somehow gets past Samoa Joe. Get Samoa Joe out of ROH and back into AEW, and as a featured player. Have him steamroll the eliminator tournament, please.
  • Danielson/Starks was brutal in the best possible way.
  • Depending on your feelings about Orange Cassidy and Jon Moxley that was either really awesome or really bad because of how the character personalities and selling, but it was just as gnarly as the Danielson match.
  • Hobbs/Miro isn't my cup of tea but they got multiple variants of a MEAT chant, so there's that.
  • I didn't watch Joe/Taylor or Ruby/Stat, the former because I didn't care (I don't watch ROH so I have no clue who Shane Taylor is) and the latter because I was waiting on my dinner to arrive (but I saw the Toni Storm bit, love it).
  • I saw the first half of Omega/Takeshita but then got distracted by my new puppy for awhile, so I need to go back and watch the full thing. A lot of probable hyperbole on Twitter with "they woke up and decided the United Center was the Tokyo Dome" - we'll see. I don't have any doubt about that tbh, but I do kind of have thoughts about Takeshita getting this push (as a heel) because it just doesn't seem like the crowd (any crowd) really cares.

What's insane to me is that, amidst all of the drama of this week... ALL IN was last week. It feels like months ago at this point. Crazy stuff.

• Like 2

I loved that show. So much great shit with Danielson and Starks putting on a great old school Crockett grudge match; Miro and Hobbs tossing each other around like so many sacks of potatoes; and Moxley channeling his inner Necro Butcher/Ian Rotten and mauling the fuck of Orange Cassidy in that match. Best show I've seen in years.

• Like 1

Excellent show top to bottom. (Well, I didn't pay much attention to the 8-man nor BCC vs Kingston & Some Guy. But I'm sure they were fine.) I think Darby vs Luchasaurus edges out Mox vs Cassidy as match of the night for me. I fucking loved that Darby came out looking like the most resilient mofu on Earth, and he did it without kicking out of a single finisher. A lot of people in AEW could learn from Darby Allin.

• Like 1

I don't even have much to say, every thing worked for me.

Pre-show was fun stuff and it did my heart good to hear the reaction that Hangman got.

Miro/Hobbs was match of the night for me. Stat/Soho were put in the impossible position to follow it and absolutely delivered. Starks is absolutely made and you can use that shot of him defiantly saying no while being choked out in everything. The atmosphere was wild for the 8man and it seemed like 60/40 of the crowd was for the Bucks. Orange is also absolutely made and I think the money is him taking the belt of MJF next year.

I'm super high on wrestling right now

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Excellent show top to bottom. (Well, I didn't pay much attention to the 8-man nor BCC vs Kingston & Some Guy. But I'm sure they were fine.) I think Darby vs Luchasaurus edges out Mox vs Cassidy as match of the night for me. I fucking loved that Darby came out looking like the most resilient mofu on Earth, and he did it without kicking out of a single finisher. A lot of people in AEW could learn from Darby Allin.

Darby clinic, for sure.

Well, I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong. They finally proved they don’t need Punk.

Excellent show.

Danielson and Starks had probably the best match in Stark’s career.

Omega/Soup was a great and nasty match.

OC just got MADE in that match with Mox.

Classic AEW “underpromise/overdeliver” method.

• Like 7