DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/2 - 8/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Personally, I do feel it is authentic corniness. I totally get why people would eyeroll it. Poor guy was pretty open about his mental health issues after his wife had a miscarriage. Even without the biases I have adding him to my Will Always Like Club, I likely can say I don’t find him fake, at least. 
I’m having trouble finding my words, so here’s an alignment chart I made from Corny to Serious and Authentic to Disingenuous. (No disses, I like everyone other than Bubba. I just couldn’t find a good example for that slot that I liked)

29-F2458-C-3948-4400-B388-0-E4-D3-CBFDC1

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Real late on Rampage and Collision this week due to the Metallica tour - just finished up, and I can't emphasize enough how glad I am that Riccaboni finally asked the question of what MJF must think of the 'real World title.' (Didn't love J.R.'s answer, but it is what it is, and it least Ian got it out). I completely logically understand why we haven't gone there yet (you gotta ride the hot hand w the Cole pairing, obviously) but Punk and MJF were both on the same show in Hartford last week when we went, and it kinda annoyed me that it didn't come up at all in MJF's post-match promo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Real late on Rampage and Collision this week due to the Metallica tour - just finished up, and I can't emphasize enough how glad I am that Riccaboni finally asked the question of what MJF must think of the 'real World title.' (Didn't love J.R.'s answer, but it is what it is, and it least Ian got it out). I completely logically understand why we haven't gone there yet (you gotta ride the hot hand w the Cole pairing, obviously) but Punk and MJF were both on the same show in Hartford last week when we went, and it kinda annoyed me that it didn't come up at all in MJF's post-match promo.

Did you take over bass-playing duties from the Hulkster?

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

MJF doesn’t need to be in any rush to acknowledge Punk’s obvious buffoonery. 

I don't disagree with your logic, I completely get why that is and fully concur it's not time yet, especially with how popular the Cole/MJF act has become so far - but by the same token, I do think it makes MJF's character look a little weak not even taking a small, maybe even non-verbal shot (worked, to be clear!) - I'm not asking for any kind of interaction just yet - I want just a small throwaway line in a promo, or a real quick, sarcastic 'X' pose during their walk out or something. Punk's character is a guy who is not only toting around his own version of the same belt, but referred in his promo to both his belt and his 'straight edge means I'm better than you' having been ripped off- don't get me wrong, I'm definitely open to wherever it is we're going, but from a narrative perspective, I think it's gonna require a heck of a reason from MJF why he's been 'allowing' this to go on so long for it to work.

Edit: It doesn't even need to be that deep, I just hope it's acknowledged to be honest - For example, if they wrestle at Grand Slam, it could be something as simple as Max saying he wanted to wait so he could kick Punks ass in his home state or something.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

18 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm interested in seeing this promo you speak of. Holiday seemed to me to be a nice low card heel hand. Somebody you might wanna swap in for Kip Sabian. Curious what angles or segments led you to the feeling that the Dynasty was particularly special? I thought they had chemistry, but their execution, MJF in particular, felt a bit clumsy.

I enjoyed the majority of the vignettes that the Dynasty put out, but that's all scripted.  MJF and Holiday were decent talkers as far as freestyle promos went, but they were pretty green when it came to talking up pending matches.   Hammerstone filled in that void.  He was the guy that could sell feuds.

The one thing that the Dynasty added to MLW was comedy (MJF:  Hammerstone, how many push-ups can you do?  Hammerstone:  I can do ALL of them.) and that was sorely needed when your top heel stable is a no bullshit gang like CONTRA.

• Like 1

Rampage was good, The Kingdom adding their thoughs on Adam Cole was very interesting. I bet Roddy got some ideas from that one.

Hardyz vs Bucks rematch. Well, we HAVE to undo the injustice of their previous match. It was a bad move made worse by Jeff being Jeff.

It was VERY bad news that PAC is already out again. There goes another All In dream match.

Best Friends got trounched by BCC. It started out pretty well, but man did they get their asses handed to them! Good luck getting insurance claims on any of those cars, they've got you on film!

Collision opener tag was awesome! Rematch between Bucks and FTR is definitely big enough, The Acclaimed would have been the only other choice.

I had a hunch Joe-Punk wasn't done yet. Now they can show if they really still got it?

Did Christian Cage just have her own daughter ejected from backstage (or the arena for trying to touch "his" TNT-title? What an absolute douche! Is the TNT-champion now "Christian Cage and Luchasaurus"?

The trios match was excellent and the TBS-title match was good as expected. Next week's match against Punk&FTR should be off the charts! Tag team match for the women should kick ass as well!

• Like 1

I bet nobody (outside the Discord) noticed that the little girl Christian had kicked out of backstage was the same little girl that Jack Perry used as a human shield on Dynamite.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

I bet nobody (outside the Discord) noticed that the little girl Christian had kicked out of backstage was the same little girl that Jack Perry used as a human shield on Dynamite.

She's like a stunt granny, but a kid.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

I thought there was a resemblance but didn't pay close enough attention. Given the recent directives, I was sure the kid in the audience was a plant.

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I thought there was a resemblance but didn't pay close enough attention. Given the recent directives, I was sure the kid in the audience was a plant.

Yeah, both the girl and the woman with her had big purple "GUEST" stickers on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, both the girl and the woman with her had big purple "GUEST" stickers on.

I would hope so cause I don't think little children should be part of the ring crew. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would hope so cause I don't think little children should be part of the ring crew. 

But their tiny hands are so good at getting in and tightening turnbuckles!

• Haha 4