DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/2 - 8/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Very cool moment for Shida. As much as I feel like there is still juice in Toni as champ and the faces chasing the Outcasts, I love Shida and will never begrudge her a second title reign. Plus Iove that they managed to gag me on what I assumed would be another "Outcasts cheat to maintain" moment. 

So, I love that they are going with MJF-Cole but neither turned on the other (yet).  Let it simmer.  Hey, maybe neither will turn at all.  But the funny thing is both of them are such pricks that I fully believe they are both up to some shit.  

I also find it funny that they are completely ignoring Punk.  Like he's over in a different country somewhere.  Looks like Punk may have to do something drastic to catch their attention. 

The Kenny Omega tease was cool,  hope it happens.  

Shida vs. Storm was awesome. 

The Moguls beating the ever loving shit out of the kid and then calling Darby was some wild shit.  Loved that angle.  Need this blood feud at ALL IN also. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

So that's "your dad is dead" angle #2 in this company.

Probably gonna come off as heartless here but I'm not really getting behind Wayne like the booking wants me to. I remember back in CHIKARA when Eddie Kingston straight up killed Tim Donst dead and cut a promo after it like "you put him in the match, what did you think was gonna happen?" With Wayne, I keep thinking back to that. If he's gonna get beat up, I keep being told that he's trained and good so it's hard to find sympathy toward "he's just a kid" when I keep getting told the other stuff. Okay I get it attacking him at home and bringing up his dad is some dastardly stuff but don't sell it like he can't fight back. Speaking of, AR Fox kind of sounds like he has a point in all this.

HOLY SHIDA!  That was the most surprising title change in company history (non TNT title wasteland division). Kind of wondering what this means for the Outcasts now with that little news blip of Saraya not really liking the gimmick or the booking. It's weird since it feels like the fans want to cheer for Ruby and Saraya can't really wrestle that often. I do like the story too of now Shida gets to be a champion in front of fans. I really did like her run during the Daily's Place era.

Was really happy someone other than Mox got the win in the three way. Looking forward to Best Friends/BCC in the parking lot. Best Friends vs. Santana and Ortiz is feeling like a forgotten classic. I liked Kommander a lot more in a tag match tonight. He has that problem where his stuff takes a liiiiitle too long to set up but here at least it worked with the other 3 guys doig other stuff to work around it too. Reminds me, I need to hunt down FTR/Aussie Open from last year.

Matt Jackson and Satnam was an AMAZING visual and I popped pretty hard for Kenny and Nick walking away like "nope, you wanted this!"

So, friend of mine managed to score pretty good tickets to Metallica this Friday and Pantera are opening for them and.... this feels like chapter 1 of Jack running through ex ECW guys but I screamed when Walk hit

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm dealing with some pretty frustrating interpersonal things at work between two co-workers. All one claims to want is an apology. The last thing the other will ever do is give an apology.

I imagine we will see Punk vs Omega with either guy or both guys losing. I could see Omega beating Punk in their only match even.

I can't see Punk ever laying down for Page.

Bait and switch. Punk beats Omega with the promise of putting Hangman over. Instead, he beats up the Young Bucks backstage. The real question is who will Ace bite this time?

Hopefully we get Omega selling like Michaels did for Hogan. 

Don Callis stop making the refs look terrible challenge.

Hated that three way not gonna lie, but glad Trent got a win. I’m not sure when I just completely turned the corner on Mox, but I feel like Matt D during a Hangman match when he is on the screen these days. The 10th tack bump means nothing please stop. 

The rest of the show was super fun. I popped for the title change and the Kenny tease. I’m ok with Cole/MJF as the All In match they earned it. He’s our scumbag is a fun chant.

Kenny/Punk back on the menu is very exciting, but I hope they don’t jump right to it. Give Jay White a shot at the Real Worlds Champion at All In.

Amazing 2 hours of pro wres

Mogul Embassy are legit. Darby is gonna do some loco stuff for payback and I'm all for it.

Really liked the 3way and LOVED Trent getting the win.

Elite vs Planet Jarrett was a blast. I'm really enjoying Double J on my TV in 2023. And where can I get Hangman's shirt?? That was DOPE AF.

Aussie Open are so good. And watching Komander and ELDV pull off their stuff so cleanly was so cool. 

Really enjoying  where MJF and Cole are going. The point of the similarities to Warrior/Savage from Wembley earlier in the thread was spot on!

And so great to see Shida have a big moment. Looking forward to alot of bangers on TV  like in her earlier reign. 

• Like 4

Tonight was a pretty good show. I was happy to see Shida win the Women's title. She deserves a good run and I hope she gets it.

MJF continues to pull on the heart strings and we are setting up for one of the greatest turns ever and it's going to be Adam Cole who does it to him.

RVD! That was awesome. Marked huge actually having him come out to WALK! again. Looking forward to RVD vs Jack next week. Was hoping for the official "rvd IS all elite" graphic but I'll enjoy as long as we have him.

Thought the opening tag was pretty fun, loved the Dynamite history video, and the triple threat was awesome. Great win for Trent, calling back to the way he lost last week but this time pulling it off. And Trent bled more than Mox! Parking Lot Brawl 2 should be epic if the last one is anything to go by.

Loved the MJF/Cole promo. Hoping and hoping they leave it as is with face vs face in the match. This definitely felt like a real face turn from MJF. Let Roderick and the Kingdom be the heels here. I was digging Strong as a face but in this storyline, it seems to make the most sense for him to be the one turning rather than Cole on MJF or vice versa. 

Elite tag was solid. I knew Aussie Open couldn't lose their first defense but they had me wanting it for a sec when Vikingo & Komander were on fire.

Once I realized Shida/Toni was main eventing, I started thinking title change had to be in the works so something special will have happened on episode 200. Shida's win feels slightly out of nowhere and to me, it felt nowhere near time to end Toni's reign yet. Even though Toni's reign felt longer than it was (but still the shortest womens' title run so far), still gotta love it for Shida. Great win and moment, I was a huge fan of Shida's original reign so I'm excited to see what comes of this one. 

Here's to 200 more!

• Like 6

Just got back home from the show and it was a great time, I hope the crowd sounded good on TV because the place was packed and hot for pretty much everything. The place was still 80% full for Rampage, though I am upset we didn't get to see the parking lot brawl. Also MJF was super over and came out several times off-camera to hype up the crowd with babyface schtick. I'm sure I'll have more notes after getting some sleep but it was such a blast to go to another AEW show. 

• Like 7

Great episode of Dynamite to rebound from last week. MJF/Cole promo ran a little long, but that looked like a pivot to full on babyface MJF and I'm here for it. Plus with All In being an homage to Summer Slam 92, a face/face main event feels right.

The 3-way match had spots that kind of suggested that was supposed to be the main at one point, but I liked it as a beefed-up hardcore title style match.

Loved seeing RVD get to come out to Walk and get a big pop. Now he was pretty bad in WWE 8 years ago so I'm not excited about the match, but this moment was nice and Jack getting a cheap win over a washed up RVD will get some heat.

Aussie Open vs. Vikingo/Komander was awesome. Hopefully Vikingo will become a full time AEW guy at some point. Mark Davis growing a mullet was giving off some Scott Norton vibes, and I'm all for Vicious and Delicious being reincarnated as a 2010s workrate team.

I'm guessing the "Book the women's division better" sign got to Tony since the women got the main event and an actual surprise title change that opens the door for something fresher than "Outcasts cheat to win every week," and does a solid for one of your home-growns who had some horrible luck of being hot at the beginning of the pandemic and Britt getting really hot as the fans came back. Now we know that signs on the hard camera side get results even faster than posting on DVDVR.

• Like 4

Jungle Douche looked like he was about to cry when RVD came down!  Then trying a sneak attack, running away and using a little girl as a shield! I think he should realign himself with that other turd sandwhich Christian Cage at this point!

And Jericho is out of options now. He can't not join Callis after that, unless he gives the leadership to Sammy and the group becomes GAS!

The 3 way was sufficiently wild stuff All those thumbtack spots! Big win for Trent, which is always very welcome change!

Ok, actual match between Jack Shit Perry and RVD next week! Let's go!

Plot thickens between MJF and Cole. To be honest, Strong has a reason to be a little bit pissed, but people can have more than 1 friend for fuck's sake! Right now he's Al Snow to MJF & Cole's Rock N' Sock Connection. That didn't really lead to anything significant, but maybe this will?

The trios match was plenty of fun, but no suplex spots, which was a bummer. Kenny almost got Satham up which was nuts. Yay for The Elite signing new contracts.

Jesus, Nick Wayne! Straight to a transfusion with you! Swerve keeps filming himself commiting crimes! Who does he think he is, a former president?

Aussie Open successful title defence, but the double 450 was insane. Vikingo should probably be used a bit better, but at least we get to see him now!

Main event was STIFF at the beginning. Big win for Shida, keeping with the theme of mostly originals getting big wins the whole night. Glad that she could finally do this in front of a big crowd! Hell, there may be the biggest crowd in her future, if she holds the title a few weeks!

Edited by Shartnado
More
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jrag said:

Don Callis stop making the refs look terrible challenge.

That was a hoot. Bat was four feet from Aubrey (plus IT ROLLED THERE within her line of vision) and she refused to glance over at it, classic ref stupidity. 

The little girl was also a laugh and a half. She was bugeyed for Jack just being next to her and then she REALLY freaked when he grabbed her as a shield. Made her night for sure. 

Only way RVD as a regular would be interesting is probably a broken-down clique of him and the Hardyz. I guess he can bring Katie too? If he does get beat and we are just running through ECW regulars it has to end with Sabu doing an impression of his uncle and just stabbing and burning JJP to death. 

• Like 3

I'm 2/3rds in:

• Jericho tag got a little chop heavy at times, but there were a number of fun character bits. I do like this version of Takeshita more and the whole dance thing with Garcia leading to Takeshita doing it with the Jericho pin was money. Garcia is really good at making his moments count against just about anyone and he'll be super over when he goes babyface. The intrigue continues with the finish. You figure this has to cycle back to the Elite at some point as Omega vs Takeshita has to happen but it's taking the long way around.
  • Fans popped huge for the RVD theme. Jerry Lynn was having a lot of fun getting the fans to sing along with it. Good reactions out of Perry. I worry about his second match as a heel being against someone so stylized (and apparently physically limited) as RVD though.
  • Triple threat match was a spectacle. It was very much an "Are You Not Entertained?" type match. And yes, we were entertained. My guess is that Mox saw the QT ambulance match and wanted in on some of that. I thought maybe they went to the barbed wire a little bit early but it's not like they didn't keep escalating throughout. Post-match brawl was good but I felt bad for the crowd who popped for Rampage being mentioned but then didn't realize they weren't going to get what was announced. A little pile driver heavy overall maybe? Also it was a lot for very little stakes. Which I guess was the point, but...
  • I still think they should have done another MJF/Cole tag at All In, but you have to go with the hot hand, I guess. I had wanted Cole's first program back to be against the Kingdom so nice to see them now, but put Maria front and center. If we end up with a MJF/Strong/Kingdom/Holiday stable out of this, that's not the worst thing. There are a number of threads to play off of, like Cole not reading the contract (it'd be so funny if it meant that he could never challenge again like Cody) and what Strong's up to, and who is playing who, if anyone, etc. What is undeniable is that this angle is drawing in a way that specific AEW angles (and wrestlers) almost never do, and you have to lean into it hard. Good for them.
  • Hey, I watched an Elite match. I deserve a cookie. It was fine. The contrast made it work. Once again, the commercial break forcing them to slow things down and get heat on the babyfaces saves another AEW match. Once it ended, they immediately went into an overlong finishing stretch where things broke down but all of the Planet Jarrett gaga kind of made it work. They did a good job of teasing getting Satnam off his feet early (though I think he was selling even just a little too much for the early dropkicks) and then paying it off later. The tease on the One Winged Angel on Satnam makes me think that they have to let Omega hit it on him at some point if it's even humanly possible. I'd watch an Omega vs Jarrett singles match. Interesting that Grado wasn't mentioned at all. Jarrett posing was the best part.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

This will be unpopular, I didn't like Trent Beretta vs. Jon Moxley vs. Penta El Zero Miedo. I can't fucking stand Penta with his spam taunt routine. One of my least favourite wrestlers ever. Save the barbed wire/thumbtacks for a bigger match that will mean something. Overuse of Piledrivers. The lone bright spots were Trent winning and it's Best Friends vs. Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli in a Parking Lot Brawl on Rampage this week. This would be the second Parking Lot fight in AEW, with the first being Best Friends against Santana/Ortiz on Dynamite, 16th September 2020. A match that doesn't seem to get talked up as much.

Everything else I liked particularly the MJF/Adam Cole segment and Hikaru Shida winning the AEW Women's World Championship from Toni Storm. With the former I hope Cole turns on MJF rather than the other way with MJF to Cody Rhodes, Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara. Happy Shida will get a reign away from the pandemic era she carried. Jamie Hayter is my favourite AEW women's wrestler then Serena Deeb who I miss and Shida.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Did the first parking lot brawl have a crowd watching on the tron and were taped verbalizing? Seems like they could've done that here. Also, I miss Santana and Ortiz, where they at? Out on injury? It'd be weird if it's both of them, or that one got put on ice because of the other. They didn't do that for Private Party, for example.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did the first parking lot brawl have a crowd watching on the tron and were taped verbalizing? Seems like they could've done that here. 

No, the first brawl was early enough in the pandemic that I don’t think they had even started back with socially distanced live crowds yet. The crowd for that was just a bunch of wrestlers gathered around the fight hooting and hollering.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I could see The Kingdom and Roderick Strong vs. MJF, Cole, and a debuting Richard Holliday. 

Holiday's cancer is in remission and he's back in training, brother!

Furthermore, he became a free agent while he was out on sick leave so a Dynasty reunion in AEW is not as unlikely as some might think, especially if Khan just throws wads of money at Court Bauer to buy Hammerstone's release.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steventon said:

I can't see them having MJF vs Cole main event the 'biggest show ever' and have it just be a clean match with no twist. Gut feeling is they've set it up for Cole to turn and betray MJF, which will be NUCLEAR. 

Might even get "Fuck you, Adam" and "You're a wanker" like Roman Reigns received.