DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Sullivan-Benoit stuff was great but they were also hitting each other for real and didn't give a damn about their own well-being.

I thought the Savage vs. DDP stuff was good because you could tell the fans were starting to get really invested in DDP. I think between that and when he starts that triangle feud with Raven and Benoit, I think it showed DDP knew how to fight from underneath. 

Sullivan/Benoit at SuperBrawl '97 was the height of their series because of the involvement of Woman and Jackie. I loved the heck out of that match when I watched it a few months back. 

Those matches were good, but they got very samey. They always went into the bathroom almost as if they had to live up to that first match where it was unexpected. The SuperBrawl match had that, but it also had Woman punting Sullivan in the balls and a wicked-looking finish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It still baffles me how Page finally got over. Here's this ex-manager washup, too old, ugly, had a bad gimmick the first time around, and yet he becomes an underdog hero. I myself was an enormous fan! Was it really just the Diamond Cutter? I mean a cooler version of the most popular move in wrestling can do a lot, but it's crazy that it could revive and in fact make a guy's entire career. 

"He lives his gimmick, brother" 
-Abdullah the Butcher

There's a story in Mick Foley's book where he talked about DDP working really hard and how one day Abdullah looked at Foley and said that DDP was going to be a big star and when Foley asked incredously "Dallas?", Abdullah uttered the above.

But I do think there's something to that, you can see a lot of guys who were big athletes but not really used to being the center of attention outside of athletics and have no idea how to portray that, Foley talks about how DDP loved cheesy lines like when security guards asked how he was doing he'd say something like "Lady, I'm doing so good, I'd have to be twins to get any better". It lead to so many incerdibly cheesy lines ("Self high five" or that great story where he wanted his heel opponent to praise how good-looking and talented he was) but he felt...genuine in his delivery of it.

• Like 4

saying Hollywood Scum Hogan over and over should have been too cornball to do anything but sink him as lame and forced.

Except, it didn't.  There is a certain realness that can come from being too angry to speak straight, like "I hate this fucker so much I can't even come up with a clever pun or putdown at this guy's expense, I just want to beat his ass" and I think DDP tapped in to that.  You don't deserve a cute insulting nickname.  I really just think you're a fucking scumbag and I'm going to beat you up.

• Like 9

Even if he's from the Northeast and not the South, DDP kinda came off as being a bit rednecky, or at least enough of one to get over with actual rednecks? So depending on your position in life, DDP is the ideal guy that you'd want your single mom to start dating or the guy in the neighborhood that is shirtless washing his car constantly

DDP might have looked more like a motorcycle guy than all the actual open motorcycle fetishists who worked for WCW (although I'd guess that 1997 DDP would be a muscle car character). So I could imagine some people thinking that DDP is someone who could fit into their street if he lived there.

Also he was going up against the main heels and he wasn't as much of an idiot as the typical babyfaces, so?

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also he was going up against the main heels and he wasn't as much of an idiot as the typical babyfaces, so?

well, now that you mention it, he was the first WCW guy to have a moment of tricking/outsmarting the NWO when he rejected Hall & Nash's recruitment (also, one of the first guys shown rejecting a recruitment in general) and that was probably a part of his popularity.

(but really, best "new" finisher since the DDT and it was supremely protected, even before he himself was)

• Like 4

I have a vague memory of the NWO talking about how they were running the Diamond Cutter through computer simulations to find a counter but so far it hadn't found one so DDP was still a threat to all 20 or so of them. They sold the hell out of that move

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Even if he's from the Northeast and not the South, DDP kinda came off as being a bit rednecky, or at least enough of one to get over with actual rednecks? So depending on your position in life, DDP is the ideal guy that you'd want your single mom to start dating or the guy in the neighborhood that is shirtless washing his car constantly

DDP might have looked more like a motorcycle guy than all the actual open motorcycle fetishists who worked for WCW (although I'd guess that 1997 DDP would be a muscle car character). So I could imagine some people thinking that DDP is someone who could fit into their street if he lived there.

I never thought of DDP as rednecky since there's dudes like him everywhere, especially where he's from in New Jersey. As you said DDP was relatable in that he's your friends dad who only shows up once or twice a year and takes all of you somewhere cool kind of way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As Beau said on BTS today, you don't have to be from the south to be a redneck. Look at upstate NY and Central PA for 2 examples. 

My college town in central Pennsylvania was the most backwards, racist place I've ever lived, and I've been in Texas for 30 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

I never thought of DDP as rednecky since there's dudes like him everywhere, especially where he's from in New Jersey. As you said DDP was relatable in that he's your friends dad who only shows up once or twice a year and takes all of you somewhere cool kind of way.

DDP is everyone's Uncle Jeff. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I believe the proper name is Pennsyltucky lol

Pennsyltucky isn’t just central PA - I’m between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre and there’s more backwards y’alls in NEPA than most people realize. Example - one township locally has a sign under their township border sign that says “Second Amendment Township”. It blows my mind every time I see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Even if he's from the Northeast and not the South, DDP kinda came off as being a bit rednecky, or at least enough of one to get over with actual rednecks?

From "King of Atlanta" - Page 183 - Souled Out 2000

"Worst fan sign: DDP IS A HICK"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Drive around southern Ontario and you'll find rednecks here too, the kind that think Trudeau is a communist for not being racist enough. Don't get them mixed up with the finance dudes who like to buy F150s and pretend they're rednecks as an excuse to be racist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Drive around southern Ontario and you'll find rednecks here too, the kind that think Trudeau is a communist for not being racist enough. Don't get them mixed up with the finance dudes who like to buy F150s and pretend they're rednecks as an excuse to be racist

Saw a pickup truck today parked with one tire on the sidewalk in BC, needless to say: two MASSIVE "Fuck Trudeau" stickers on the back of that window.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Saw a pickup truck today parked with one tire on the sidewalk in BC, needless to say: two MASSIVE "Fuck Trudeau" stickers on the back of that window.

Now that he's about to be single, all these dudes that want to fuck Trudeau will get a chance to shoot their shot lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Netflix has a documentary about OVW coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9CISx70Oo

There is the trailer. I think Al Snow might have been working the producers on how big of a name he is, and his respect level within the business.

Also, Hollyhood Hailey J is apparently a garbage person IRL, and it looks like the show is using her as a top babyface character.

• Like 1