DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/5 - 7/11/2023

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Platinum Satinum and The Kentucky Gentleman would make a formidable duo

Ha you beat me by a couple minutes, but I was going to say the same: that pairing would get my eyeballs 100%. Chuck could bring back the kid-scaring thing from a couple years back - he might find it even easier with a giant next to him

All about Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk for me this week. Can't wait for that one. There's a 20 minute time limit. I'm hoping the rematch goes longer. Love the Joe/Punk 2004 trilogy. Gave all three *****. For a while I thought the second was the best but it's the third now:

Spoiler

No time limit as the first two went 60 minutes so think it's going even longer but it lasts 33 minutes subverting expectations.

Punk bleeding so it wasn't going to last as long.

Referee is going to ring the bell as Joe has Punk in the rear naked choke but Ricky Steamboat sees Punk's twitching fingers and tells the referee.

Joe desperate cheats using the ropes on a roll up getting "Fuck you, Joe!" chants.

Yeah, it's the best one.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

All about Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk for me this week. Can't wait for that one. There's a 20 minute time limit. I'm hoping the rematch goes longer. Love the Joe/Punk 2004 trilogy. Gave all three *****. For a while I thought the second was the best but it's the third now:

Hide contents

No time limit as the first two went 60 minutes so think it's going even longer but it lasts 33 minutes subverting expectations.

Referee is going to ring the bell as Joe has Punk in the rear naked choke but Ricky Steamboat sees Punk's twitching fingers and tells the referee.

Joe desperate cheats using the ropes on a roll up getting "Fuck you, Joe!" chants.

Yeah, it's the best one.

I'm really looking forward to Joe/Punk, too. My first ROH show (as well as my first time seeing either man) was when they wrestled each other at 'Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies' in August '03 - I came for Steve Corino, but left a huge fan of those guys (as well as Homicide, who had a great match with Corino - though I also recall thinking Dunn & Marcos and Becky Bayless were going to be massive stars, so what do I know).

Though both guys have aged a bit, I think there's potential for a really interesting, dare I speculate maybe even smarter-worked match here - Punk may be more of a question mark w the time off, but Joe can still hit the next gear when he absolutely has to. I guess it's  interesting to me to consider what a 'nostalgia' match looks like when it's two guys who can go, and not like, immobile Hulk Hogan vs made of dust Roddy Piper. This is obviously a lofty comparison but the first ones coming to mind are the Undertaker/Michaels matches at Mania?

• Like 2

Flair was 45 and Steamboat was 41 when they resumed their feud in 1994 - their first match was 17 years prior, and their last match was 5 years prior

Punk and Joe are both 44 now - their first match was 20 years prior, and their last match was 18 years prior

Makes me sad Punk and Joe just missed each other in WWE - Joe jumping into the main event scene instead of lingering forever in NXT would have been fun

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, it's the best one.

I'm partial to the first one. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Flair was 45 and Steamboat was 41 when they resumed their feud in 1994 - their first match was 17 years prior, and their last match was 5 years prior

Punk and Joe are both 44 now - their first match was 20 years prior, and their last match was 18 years prior

Makes me sad Punk and Joe just missed each other in WWE - Joe jumping into the main event scene instead of lingering forever in NXT would have been fun

Agreed big on that third paragraph. The end of my time watching WWE regularly kinda all blends together, but that Joe/Brock match at Great Balls of Fire kicked all kinds of ass, so let me second the motion that I wish he got there sooner (not just for Punk purposes, but overall).

I haven't seen that WCWSN match in years but I do believe I have it on DVD somewhere, I think the first Flair box set - that might be a fun re-watch with this in mind

I’m still peeved they aren’t playing up Joe/Punk more than they are. Legit one of the marquee matchups you have left for both guys and it’s on a Saturday night with a week build and nothing else behind it to promote. Should be treated as way more of a big deal than it is. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

I’m still peeved they aren’t playing up Joe/Punk more than they are. Legit one of the marquee matchups you have left for both guys and it’s on a Saturday night with a week build and nothing else behind it to promote. Should be treated as way more of a big deal than it is. 

Quick look shows only their first ROH match is on the official YouTube channel

I mean, bare minimum, throw all their matches on YouTube and put highlight packages on TV

Going into it with an "everyone knows about Joe vs. Punk!" expectation is a horrible mistake

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I've seen you guys. You haven't been good enough to deserve the comedic joy that would surely be MJF/Cole vs Matt Hardy/Jeff Jarrett. Enjoy your eventual MJF/Cole vs Brian Cage/Big Bill match instead.

We'll get our comedic joy either way. The gym vignette was a set-up for Cole turning into a bad-ass power wrestler against all that beef. 

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I've seen you guys. You haven't been good enough to deserve the comedic joy that would surely be MJF/Cole vs Matt Hardy/Jeff Jarrett. Enjoy your eventual MJF/Cole vs Brian Cage/Big Bill match instead.

Jeff can only do so much. I am much more into Cage and Bill tossing MJF back and forth like a beach ball, while he loudly swears

• Like 4

MJF is finally as good as some people thought he was a year ago. He deserves to be on top of the company. Any remaining dissenters?

EDIT: @just drew I fucking dare you to say this knee looks soft.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

It was a good show tonight. Never gets old seeing Keith Lee yeet a guy across the ring. I was surprised Darby and Cassidy won.

MJF and Adam Cole are gold together. 

I almost want to see them win this thing and win the tag titles. 

• Like 1

I've come all the way around and am loving how unseriously they are taking the blind eliminator tournament.  No brackets? Blatantly rigged draw? Announcing pairings at completely random times?  That's pro wrestling, baby!

• Like 5

Daddy Magic & The Butcher are now my favorite new team. I knew they weren't going to win, but AT LEAST SHOW THEIR ENTRANCE ON TV. Their promo was only shown on Twitter! Magic Meat!

Really glad Dark Order stopped terrible friend Hangman and The Worst Friends from cheating, with weapons, again!

• Like 1