DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Man... If Rock lost about 60 lbs and trimmed down, went back to Hollywood Rock/Rundown era shape... Just really lean...

And then started playing villain roles in like a Guy Ritchie or a Tarantino or a Coen Brothers film. Something with snappy dialogue where his charisma can really pump up the volume on a scene.

Make that happen Hollywood, and he'd go from overexposed to movie star again in a heartbeat.

You articulated this much better than I did, but that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of when I said a 'smarmy' role - thank you

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Random thought: People who hate Toru Yano are a blight on humanity.

Not that it matters at all but I’ve always been amused by how much Dave hates him (I’m not a Dave hater and don’t care if someone has or doesn’t have the same opinions as me). But he just hates him so consistently. Low key mvp of the G1 every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When Mordecai wrestled, you definitely heard a lot of silence.

Very much the Bray Wyatt problem of a great entrance, but then the guy had to wrestle after that. 

• Like 1

When I first moved to Lousiville in '05, Mordecai and some other OVW guys (the Tolans and Daniel Pruder) lived in my apartment complex. In fact, we signed our lease with his then-fiance.

One summer, a few days after 4th of July, some jackass was lighting off fireworks way too late in the evening. Mordecai's (sorry, can't recall his real name) fiance/wife/whatever went out to tell them to knock it off. I'm seeing this from my balcony on the second floor. The fireworks guy is drunk and starts giving her a hard time. Then Mordecai comes around the corner. Now, he wasn't a huge guy for a wrestler, but he's normal-people huge. The drunk guy shut up really quick and gathered up his fireworks and left.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

I think Mordecai's real name was Kevin Fertig?

Yes. He later went on to become a vampire in SCIFIECW and is unfortunately most notable as the guy it's been rumored a WWE writer tried to coerce into a relationship and when Taker found out he was livid and the writer was fired soon thereafter.

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Yes. He later went on to become a vampire in SCIFIECW and is unfortunately most notable as the guy it's been rumored a WWE writer tried to coerce into a relationship and when Taker found out he was livid and the writer was fired soon thereafter.

He's now a wrestling-themed real estate agent in Indiana.  According his FB he sold Doug Basham a house last month.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, matt925 said:

Wwe is running the chase center in San Francisco for a house show in September. That will be a very interesting test of how hot they are. Last time through the Bay Area they skipped chase, after doing tv tapings there the two previous times through Northern California, with crazy low attendance. Like 3k for raw and smackdown. Very curious how this one does. I’m gonna bring my boys to that show. 

Honestly thought it would start out stronger with how hot wwe is, but they are strong late movers and Cody will probably work his social media magic. I’m pretty certain that 3995 is their highest total because I remember the first time through when chase center was brand new the numbers for raw and smackdown were shockingly low. Kind of ashamed for the city lol. I’m pretty sure gcw is done with SF as well. 

Anyway I got my tickets in yet another attempt to get my boys into wrestling. I think this is my first wwe house show in 10 years and I’m looking forward to it. 

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Honestly thought it would start out stronger with how hot wwe is, but they are strong late movers and Cody will probably work his social media magic. I’m pretty certain that 3995 is their highest total because I remember the first time through when chase center was brand new the numbers for raw and smackdown were shockingly low. Kind of ashamed for the city lol. 

Call me crazy, but doing the kind of numbers they were doing for a Raw coming out of pandemic restrictions two years ago seems pretty good for a house show that’s two months away. 

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Call me crazy, but doing the kind of numbers they were doing for a Raw coming out of pandemic restrictions two years ago seems pretty good for a house show that’s two months away. 

My comments are more San Francisco related in general. First time through was before the pandemic and raw and smackdown did like 2500 in a brand new arena. They were very cold then of course, but that was super low. Thought this would be an interesting test of how hot they are. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You'd expect a strong turn out with so many Polynesian folks in the Bay Area and all the Bloodlines drama. 

I think it ends up with 7-8k easy, it just started real slow when tickets first went on sale. First week was probably only 2k sold. I’ve been waiting for wrestletix to do a post before I posted about it again. Advertised talent is Cody, Uso’s, Bianca, Rhea, and Seth. 

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

He's now a wrestling-themed real estate agent in Indiana.  According his FB he sold Doug Basham a house last month.

I was watching an indie show he was working and he hit a guy with a “Fertig Real Estate” sign.  Hey, free advertising!

Heyyyyyyy, yeah, so I never venture into this space anymore because, yeah, I have some complicated feelings about wrestling.  How complicated?  Well, it would make my year and a half of film mini-reviews in the Movies/TV forum look like the trivia blurb on the back of a baseball card.

But, having said that, I know a lot of you are DC-adjacent, so I wondered if any of you had seen this group before - they might be the strangest indy I've seen that didn't have Kaiju...

https://www.flyingvtheatre.com/wings/fights/doubledash/

It's right down the road from my place, and I'm still debating whether I'd go at all, because, well, if I'm going to drop $25 on something, I want it to be *good* and I have no idea if this would even be that.  But, it seems none of the rest of you have a clue about it either, if the search function is to be believed.  But hey, there's an indy show *tomorrow night* for cripes sake.

Anyone else with an opinion??

Edited by Contentious C

Leilani Kai is a hypocrite for posting that, and then being on the "These kids don't know how to work" grift for the other 51 weeks of the year.

• Like 2