DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Looks like I'll have a WWE show in my area on July 29th and on August 2nd AEW Dynamite 200 is only a couple hours away in Tampa. I can get free tickets to both shows but let's say I only had one choice, what would y'all pick? I'm definitely a bigger AEW fan but I haven't been to a WWE show in 17 years and I remember house shows being a lot of fun. 

That old GIF was from around the time WWE ran Fake Trump/Fake Rosie O’Donnell, the match that made the fervent WWE hater I am to this day, so I surely would have been agreeing to it without an ounce of irony or self-awareness.

Then again that was also when I was watching the worst, most Russoriffic offerings TNA put on screen and forcing myself to think it was good, so maybe there was a hint of self-awareness buried in all the delusion after all.

53 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

Looks like I'll have a WWE show in my area on July 29th and on August 2nd AEW Dynamite 200 is only a couple hours away in Tampa. I can get free tickets to both shows but let's say I only had one choice, what would y'all pick? I'm definitely a bigger AEW fan but I haven't been to a WWE show in 17 years and I remember house shows being a lot of fun. 

200th episode of Dynamite is bound to have something big on it. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

That old GIF was from around the time WWE ran Fake Trump/Fake Rosie O’Donnell, the match that made the fervent WWE hater I am to this day, so I surely would have been agreeing to it without an ounce of irony or self-awareness.

Then again that was also when I was watching the worst, most Russoriffic offerings TNA put on screen and forcing myself to think it was good, so maybe there was a hint of self-awareness buried in all the delusion after all.

Them going back to Macmahon family drama when it was well past it sell date was a chore to sit through, plus guy who played an abusive boss turns out to be an abusive boss in real life doesn’t look good in hindsight 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

If you only have one choice then you definitely go with you preferred promotion, especially if its having a milestone episode.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

200th episode of Dynamite is bound to have something big on it. 

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

If you only have one choice then you definitely go with you preferred promotion, especially if its having a milestone episode.

Agreed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

John Cena wanting WrestleMania in the UK made BBC News:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66095481

3 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Still don't see them ponying up any money for it. Tourism is so strong normally that it actually went DOWN when they had the Olympics there...

I think the fact that they make it a two day thing now probably doesn't help either, in that they may feel it's not worth the cost to run two shows which may not do as well buy-wise due to airing in the afternoon stateside - though it may be a moot point with the PPVs being on Peacock. Just something I've kinda been thinking about recently with All In coming up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Still don't see them ponying up any money for it. Tourism is so strong normally that it actually went DOWN when they had the Olympics there...

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think the fact that they make it a two day thing now probably doesn't help either, in that they may feel it's not worth the cost to run two shows which may not do as well buy-wise due to airing in the afternoon stateside - though it may be a moot point with the PPVs being on Peacock. Just something I've kinda been thinking about recently with All In coming up 

I can see it happening wanting to one up AEW All In. I can see it not happening as it's taken so long to get PPV with Clash at the Castle 2022/Money in the Bank 2023 plus the good old British weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Log said:

You have to figure that they must have some kind of plan for a London WM or they wouldn't have had Cena say anything.

Yeah they're just trying to drum up support for a local welcome wagon, even though WWE doesn't realize "Dying cities desperately throwing tax breaks at a circus to come and save their town" is a United States thing

If they're trying to eat AEW's lunch, I'd think running SummerSlam at Wembley next August and tying up the venue with an exclusivity deal to lock AEW out for a few years would make more sense

• Like 1

They should have WM in London, but only if there's some sort of cross-promotional angle where Tony K. blocks WM from being in Wembley, so everyone thinks it'll be at the O2...until at a high-profile press conference, Vince McMahon Jr. reveals that it'll be at Craven Cottage and then Shad struts out to the Lox's "Money, Power, Respect" and yells IT WAS ME WHO SCREWED YOU, SON, IT WAS MEEEEE and then Shad and Vince both twirl their mustaches and cackle.

That's the only forbidden door that I'm interested in seeing opened in pro wrestling today. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Log said:

You have to figure that they must have some kind of plan for a London WM or they wouldn't have had Cena say anything.

Dave said it was a game to try to get the fan base to demand it so they’d have an easier time getting paid to go over there. The reason clash at the castle was in wales is because London wouldn’t pay for it. If they do it for “free” it will make it more difficult to get top dollar from other cities. When triple h was talking about it not being easy at the press conference, he meant getting money from London isn’t going to be easy. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 10:15 PM, Casey said:

Say what you will about the Attitude Era, but they had fun midcarders and the PPV main events usually delivered. And the TV angles felt “big”.

That's my general feeling on my random rewatches of the old shows from then. Like there's a random thread of Val Venis stepping up to Stone Cold from Raw to Smackdown and it felt important at that time while watching it. Didn't do anything long term of course, but stuff like that happened all the time and it's why people kept turning in. What's the equivalent now? Someone like Riddle stepping up to Roman?

54 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Yeah they're just trying to drum up support for a local welcome wagon, even though WWE doesn't realize "Dying cities desperately throwing tax breaks at a circus to come and save their town" is a United States thing

If they're trying to eat AEW's lunch, I'd think running SummerSlam at Wembley next August and tying up the venue with an exclusivity deal to lock AEW out for a few years would make more sense

The Kahn's have a deal with Wembley for Jags games, so it'd be more likely and amazing karmic payback if they blocked Vince from using it. Would the WWE have WM at the smaller and less prestigious Tottenham Hotspur Stadium? I think that's the only other place that can have a non soccer event in March/April.

• Like 1

No modern show really harnesses the energy of late 80s JCP World Championship Wrestling episodes where every midcard dude getting interview time would mention Dusty because he’s the Booker.

Then again, no show would try to have 25 interview segments in 2 hours. Even Russo-era didn’t do that.

10 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The Kahn's have a deal with Wembley for Jags games, so it'd be more likely and amazing karmic payback if they blocked Vince from using it. Would the WWE have WM at the smaller and less prestigious Tottenham Hotspur Stadium? I think that's the only other place that can have a non soccer event in March/April.

Spurs Stadium might be less famous and smaller, but it’s arguably the most up to date stadium in England, if not Europe.