DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

I’m fine with All In being the (mostly) unsigned British stars versus AEW guys.

Ospreay/Omega 3 (the second match is almost definitely happening at Forbidden Door because of that tournament, right?)

ZSJ/Orange

a Saraya match

if Hayter is good to go then run Hayter/Storm 3 with a gimmick stipulation (I really want to see the visual of a cage match at Wembley)

Danielson/McGuinness

Then pad it out with stuff like Punk/Jericho, Hung Bucks match or whatever, a Statlander defense (Millie McKenzie please)…

Of course, I’m asking for three women’s matches and we know that won’t happen, so…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m fine with All In being the (mostly) unsigned British stars versus AEW guys.

If that's the direction that All In goes, I'd like to see the Billington Bulldogs get a shot. 

• Like 1

That might be fun for us, but I think a large portion of the live crowd would hate it. Someone did a thread on Twitter a couple weeks ago asking what British wrestlers they’d like to see make appearances and 90% of the responses where “I didn’t buy a ticket to see wrestlers I can watch anytime, I bought a ticket to see AEW wrestlers.”

• Like 6

Show thoughts moved to the proper thread. What can I say I pulled a ‘Cole V Jericho’. Thoughts below as a thank you to those whom read prior... 

Spoiler

This was a difficult show to enjoy at times, but FFWD provided friendly service wherever needed. Hardys/Hook v Ethan Page/Gunns was good and solid on the pre-show. Ethan Page wrestled a nice match. Hook and the Gunns seem to be progressing. I get the arguments concerning Jeff Hardy, and whether he should even be wrestling. But he is, and I thought he worked hard here. I sensed the top rope misfire was deliberate, but perhaps I'm wrong. I read it as his doing the Omega rusty return deal. Maybe commentary just sold me on the idea? The Blackjack Battle Royal was not booked for me. The sheer volume of battle royals suggests Coach Tony is a fan of this concept. I joined this in progress right at the Final Five. Dustin’s Canadian Destroyer on Brian Cage was thrilling spot. The Final Four was terribly fun. Orangeman and Swerve were magic. I jump cut through Cole v Jericho and found nothing but tedious nonsense at each stop. I was happy to see Sabu, but the shitty brawl to open was stale and contrived. Truly ‘Bad Creative’ on the finish. FTR v Jarrett/Lethal provided a nice antidote to the previous. Each of the four players contributed terrifically. Karen Jarrett fucking rules! And Briscoe is a near perfect performer in whatever role he is given. The Ricky Starks promo featured the Bullets attack and an earnest FTR save. Bullets v FTR is a match I will be pleased to see. Wardlow v Christian was a nicely worked (ugh) 'Ladder Match'. I really, really dislike Ladder Matches. Wardlow playing the fool on the ladder with the patented nonsensical slow climb. The nonsensical slow climb being the main reason I Quite Dislike this overused match. All that said, Arn was awesome as usual. Can they bring back Tully already!? I was seemingly a higher voter than most on House of Black v Ass/claimed. I enjoyed the House's dominat victory. Kinda lame to have commentary react like the Acclaimed were surprise challengers. Jade v Taya was the best Jade match I can remember in awhile (including the better competitive squashes). Jade v Statlander was a nice surprise but felt a bit empty. It did provide a nice moment for the live crowd. Maxy v Sammy v Darby v Jacky was good. The Darby entrance was a fucking goofy. I don’t want to complain about the Sammy entrance, but I do worry about Sammy going Babyface and the Weird Vibes sure to follow. MJF’s Devil mask is pretty goddamn silly. The ‘Cosplay’ entrance costumes often featured on AEW PPV always look oafish to me. But somebody must be into them, right? I loved hearing Taz mention MJF’s love of Chris Candido on the Blonde Bombshell. I’d forgotten about that obvious comparison. Chris Candido was fucking awesome. A lot of good stuff in the 4 way. Some stuff cutesier than I care for. Four Ways are not really for me, but this was pretty good use of the multi-man single pin concept. That said, I really wish this company ran 3 and 4 ways as elimination matches. The Elite v BCC was ruined in the first section on first viewing by the rotten rendition of 'Wild Thing'. Holy fucking shit man! What was up with that singer’s face? Was it black face? A black face mask? Truly, truly awful! That easily topped Cody’s horrendous band entrance years back. I need a second spin of this Anarchy in the Arena - with the first portion on mute. It certainly picked up. I dug that exploding superkick. And the fucking Jacksons were dying for their art out there, even for all their relentless salty haters! A foot in thumbtacks is good hardcore to me. I can feel that pain. Superkicking that shithead singer would've been a bit better if the guitarist wasn't laughing like it was some sort of joke. I was very pleased to see Yuta get the pin. His earlier pin attempt on one of the Bucks with the bridging suplex was clearly a 3 before Hangman broke it up. Glad they finally pulled the trigger on the Takeshita turn and duo with Callis. It's time to start the countdown clock on the Golden Lovers reunion. Geez, this was certainly hit and miss. At least when AEW misses the mark they tend to learn something. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, elizium said:

That might be fun for us, but I think a large portion of the live crowd would hate it. Someone did a thread on Twitter a couple weeks ago asking what British wrestlers they’d like to see make appearances and 90% of the responses where “I didn’t buy a ticket to see wrestlers I can watch anytime, I bought a ticket to see AEW wrestlers.”

The New Japan in California folly. I'd like to see a smaller show pre-Wembly with AEW midcarders vs. UK indie prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elizium said:

I’m not sure if you’re referring to me or Eddie, but people like Ospreay and ZSJ are definitely going to be on the All In card. Probably McGuinness too.

I have to imagine the week leading up to All In that they’d do TV in England too, so there’s plenty of time for people there to see AEW talent between Dynamite, Rampage and Collision.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Apparently even though MJF had a cast of sorts on his arm at the scrum, no one asked about it. In real time I thought he was actually injured as there were some signs of it during the match, but I'm ok with being worked also. Even if he is injured it didn't seem to be a long term situation, although I'd be surprised if he had a match at Forbidden Door either way.

I'm just sad the Jamie Hayter injury I saw in Pittsburgh that I worried was legit at the time actually was. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m not sure if you’re referring to me or Eddie, but people like Ospreay and ZSJ are definitely going to be on the All In card. Probably McGuinness too.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Ospreay/Omega 3

Ospreay's already committed to working Shingo the day before All In for RevPro

If you're Tony, do you trust putting Ospreay in the main event of your giant stadium show when he could get hurt the night before? I'd think an undercard match would be more likely.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have to imagine the week leading up to All In that they’d do TV in England too, so there’s plenty of time for people there to see AEW talent between Dynamite, Rampage and Collision.

That's true. I was probably strawman-ing a bit, mostly in response to some twitter talk I saw about some people suggesting indie Britwres people. Eddie's suggestion of the Bulldogs just reminded me of that.

I don't want Ospreay on the card, but that's just for my own personal No Ospreay Rule. ZSJ is welcome on any card anywhere

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

I got off easy by not watching live and getting to skip the Cole/Jericho match but one way I do get to enjoy this “in the moment” is appreciating this post-PPV period where we only have one match for Wednesday announced and a short build to the next PPV and we can get any match under the sun announced tomorrow for Dynamite. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

That's true. I was probably strawman-ing a bit, mostly in response to some twitter talk I saw about some people suggesting indie Britwres people. Eddie's suggestion of the Bulldogs just reminded me of that.

I don't want Ospreay on the card, but that's just for my own personal No Ospreay Rule. ZSJ is welcome on any card anywhere

I'm no fan of Will Ospreay either. The push and titles he's won in NJPW should have gone to Zack Sabre Jr.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’d like to see Jericho vs face Guevara. Including a proxy war of Sammy against Garcia. Guevara had an awkward face attempt in the past with the TNT Title feuds that didn’t work out, but I think it is possible for a good guy run. If I’m wrong, I deeply apologize for bringing this into the world.

I’d be down for this… one by one the JAS  leaves him , Anna to HOB, Danny finally becomes a wrestler and we run back him v Yuta roles reversed , Daddy Magic , Cool Hand , and Big Paul do commentary and make run at the trios belts 

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The New Japan in California folly. I'd like to see a smaller show pre-Wembly with AEW midcarders vs. UK indie prospects.

They should do an RoH show/taping

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JLowe said:

They should do an RoH show/taping

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, too. Call the show 'World of Honor' or 'Ring of Sport' or something, throw it up on Honor club for 10 bucks the night before, and make that one the Brit-wres love letter. No disrespect to the ZSJs of the world and so forth, but my gut is that Twitter poll was likely right on the nose - I remember watching a UK-based episode of Impact once where they were absolutely losing their shit for like, Abyss. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I apologize for my insensitivity toward our neighbours across the pond 🙂

Thank you. In return, trying to teach you across the pond that day/month/year is the right format 😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, Sparkleface said:

I wish the ignore feature worked to where I just didn't see the person's posts whatsoever. Like... vanish them like a ghost. Instead it's "this post is not visible because you have ignored the person" and there's no way I have the impulse control to ignore that. It's why I have so many Reese's cups in my freezer. (They were on sale this week.)

I keep hearing about this ignore feature but I can never find it. There are only a handful of people here who annoy me so thankfully it hasn't been too big an issue

Edit: Thanks odessasteps, that did the trick!

Edited by StevieNippz
Problem solved