DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/12/2023

The Natural

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was a great friggin' Dynamite, man. Every segment flowed into each other in an almost ECW-like way, and I loved book ending the show with Swerve- makes me wonder if his line about the Moguls not being complete wasn't referring to Parker and tattooed dickface, but a merger with JAS? Also the visual with the screwdriver in the turnbuckle pad was awesome, and a nice visual clue that they're getting on the same page as Hangman. 

This was a 9 outta 10 show for me - I'm knocking off a single point because 1) pop be damned, it didn't make logical sense for Jamie and DMD to be both late on the save AND get separate entrances, and 2) fuck the new ropes still. 

I keep pointing out that Hayter and Britt aren’t doing shit to help out the lower tier AEW originals, especially Willow and Skye. It’s definitely bothering me to the point that it needs to be a storyline thing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Loved the episode, but QT and the other two need to be shot into the sun. Hobbs is being ruined by his association with them. He's a cool ass killer and they're dorky as fuck cartoon characters. I thought him carrying a literal Book of Hobbs was bad enough, somehow they replaced it with something worse.

Best part of the show was Big Bill nearly ending Kassidy when he slammed him from behind into the apron. That could have ended horribly, but since it didn't, it was awesome

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was a great friggin' Dynamite, man. Every segment flowed into each other in an almost ECW-like way, and I loved book ending the show with Swerve- makes me wonder if his line about the Moguls not being complete wasn't referring to Parker and tattooed dickface, but a merger with JAS? Also the visual with the screwdriver in the turnbuckle pad was awesome, and a nice visual clue that they're getting on the same page as Hangman. 

This was a 9 outta 10 show for me - I'm knocking off a single point because 1) pop be damned, it didn't make logical sense for Jamie and DMD to be both late on the save AND get separate entrances, and 2) fuck the new ropes still. 

It warms my heart that tattooed dickface is starting to catch on. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, elizium said:

Loved the episode, but QT and the other two need to be shot into the sun. Hobbs is being ruined by his association with them. He's a cool ass killer and they're dorky as fuck cartoon characters. I thought him carrying a literal Book of Hobbs was bad enough, somehow they replaced it with something worse.

Best part of the show was Big Bill nearly ending Kassidy when he slammed him from behind into the apron. That could have ended horribly, but since it didn't, it was awesome

My heart skipped a beat on Bill crushing young Isaiah into the side of the apron. And yeah sure, the Book of Hobbs was pretty (hilariously) stoopid, but no way is QT, Solo and the beautiful Harley Cameron hampering Hobbs in any way. He may be a bad ass but he's a heel and they're a perfectly assembled and well oiled Heat machine. QTV 4 ever and ever Amen!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
not anyway
  • Like 4

These are the shows that AEW needs to stick - smaller venue, not exactly a ravenous crowd, nothing blow-away announced for the show. But this was still a good Dynamite, bolstered by improved segment-to-segment continuity and a few really good wrestlers being really good wrestlers. AEW tends to slump in streaks - the last and worst one was last fall when the company was running iffy cards in East Coast markets that they'd already worn down and they didn't get out of that lull until they hit the fresh PNW crowds. So while this episode was a "trap game" on paper I'm glad OC/Matthews and Darby/Swerve did their thing, I'm glad the promos held up, and I'm glad that squash ruled so hard.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

These are the shows that AEW needs to stick - smaller venue, not exactly a ravenous crowd, nothing blow-away announced for the show. But this was still a good Dynamite, bolstered by improved segment-to-segment continuity and a few really good wrestlers being really good wrestlers. AEW tends to slump in streaks - the last and worst one was last fall when the company was running iffy cards in East Coast markets that they'd already worn down and they didn't get out of that lull until they hit the fresh PNW crowds. So while this episode was a "trap game" on paper I'm glad OC/Matthews and Darby/Swerve did their thing, I'm glad the promos held up, and I'm glad that squash ruled so hard.

Well said on all points, but I have to agree about last fall the most - it's clear in retrospect the personnel stuff was taking its toll. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time at the Live Rampage we went to in October, but how are you gonna run one of Vince's buildings for the first time with a Matt Taven main event? 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I liked tonight's show save for Keith Lee/Jericho. That match was a little too slow and plodding for my liking.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I liked the video package for Jay White and Juice Robinson. I didn't particularly need it because I'm familiar with Jay & Juice, but it was nice to see for the fan that may not be as familiar with them. 

I'm surprised Silas Young didn't even get an entrance and got squashed, in his hometown to top it off. That's some straight up McMahon treatmemt.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week with Britt/Jamie vs. The Outcasts and Wardlow vs. Powerhouse. 

The problem with Bullet Club Gold is I'm getting  Jarrett-era NWO vibes from it.   Jay/Juice/ELP/someone would be a nice group though- not sure who a 4th should be- definitely some up and comer original.

17 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

The problem with Bullet Club Gold is I'm getting  Jarrett-era NWO vibes from it.   Jay/Juice/ELP/someone would be a nice group though- not sure who a 4th should be- definitely some up and comer original.

There's probably money to be had in Dustin Rhodes turning heel and saying that, unlike his brother, he'll do whatever it takes to win a World Title

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Chris Bey and Ace Austin, perhaps. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great start with Swerve/Darby. Thought Darby was particularly excellent in his promo battle with MJF. Then Sting makes things even better.  I was just thinking Wardlow had been out a month and then he shows back up.

I would've hated if Orange lost the title here, but the match was awesome, and I was definitely buying near falls and totally worrying towards the end that it could happen. Love that Orange retained in another classic.

Welcome back Jeff Hardy! Another epic pop. Hope things go better this time, one of my all time favs so I'm always happy to see him back in the mix. 

BCC squash ruled. Loved Nakazawa firing away on Claudio for a moment. The post-match did have me wondering if Kenny & the Bucks had just arrived then rather than letting Nakazawa & Cutler get killed for them.

Riho & Skye is a perfect babyface team. Would've been cool if they won on Skye's first night as 'officially' All Elite, but a solid match regardless. Skye's apron rana ruled as did their superkick/crucifix double team.

I enjoyed the main event. Garcia was hilarious at ringside and a real highlight, doing more excellent work every time. 

• Like 3

I love the fact that Keith Lee gets distracted by DANIEL GARCIA DANCING

"Mogul Embassy" is the stupidest name for a faction I've heard yet, and that's a pretty low bar.

I doubt that Wardlow is forklift certified.

I really hate all the Bullet Club shenanigans and just wish they'd go away. We don't need or want you in AEW.

And again, STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME BOO THE BCC, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Never, ever, ever, ever.

The Elite ONCE AGAIN with their underhanded tactics. Tied with The Kingdom and Bullet Club, they're just the worst faction and most hated in the company.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've got conflicting feelings on this show. Swerve/Darby and OC/Buddy were two absolute top notch matches. Cutler with a mask full of blood - great! Kenny with a great promo. Ethan Page with a great promo. All good stuff.

But......

Both Darby and OC winning with their tricky pin maneuvers in the same show wasn't great planning.

Matt Hardy initially says he and PP are free of the firm but then it's suddenly they have a match with the firm to win their freedom?!?!

Kenny and the Bucks leaving their friends to be slaughtered, plus Mox just hanging around in the corner for far too long.

Jamie makes the (unsuccessful) save on her own, followed 40 seconds by Britt with the successful save? Kinda makes the champ look chumpish?

Add to that some general feelings of repetition - long MJF promo (general theme, "oh ain't I so evil"); outcasts beatdown followed by someone running out.

Eh, just feel some of the non-wrestling stuff could be paced better/differentiated more I suppose. Still enjoyed the bell to bell stuff though.

• Like 2

I was convinced it was freezing cold in the building, because Swerve was wearing a Balaclava, and Darby put his coat back on as soon as his match was over. And then Sting came out, wearing a coat over his shirt, while MJF's scarf was actually wrapped around his neck, not loose like usually.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

"Mogul Embassy" is the stupidest name for a faction I've heard yet, and that's a pretty low bar.

I'll see your Mogul Embassy and I'll raise you a Trust Factory Wingmen Project (In my EWR game, Ari Daivari uses his money to buy up the other stables, only to find that he has a giant group of lower midcarders)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I've got conflicting feelings on this show. Swerve/Darby and OC/Buddy were two absolute top notch matches. Cutler with a mask full of blood - great! Kenny with a great promo. Ethan Page with a great promo. All good stuff.

But......

Both Darby and OC winning with their tricky pin maneuvers in the same show wasn't great planning.

Matt Hardy initially says he and PP are free of the firm but then it's suddenly they have a match with the firm to win their freedom?!?!

Kenny and the Bucks leaving their friends to be slaughtered, plus Mox just hanging around in the corner for far too long.

Jamie makes the (unsuccessful) save on her own, followed 40 seconds by Britt with the successful save? Kinda makes the champ look chumpish?

Add to that some general feelings of repetition - long MJF promo (general theme, "oh ain't I so evil"); outcasts beatdown followed by someone running out.

Eh, just feel some of the non-wrestling stuff could be paced better/differentiated more I suppose. Still enjoyed the bell to bell stuff though.

So you wanted an Elite run-in to cause a DQ? I thought the silliest part of that segment was the screwdriver getting stuck in the turnbuckle like Kenny was going to murder Mox. 

The Britt save made perfect sense, and I don’t get how Jamie looked chumpish either. She (Jamie) went one on three where as Britt fought them all one on one. It’s much easier to win that way, and it’s better storytelling too. If Jamie had beaten up the Outcasts with the numbers against her people would complain that she killed their heat.

I’ll agree with you on the Matt Hardy stuff, and I’m definitely not an MJF fan (in ring or promo wise).

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

A couple of things about this -

I think they blew the angle waaaay to early. I was really enjoying Matt and Ethan being friends, especially with Cranky Ass Isiah. I know it was all tongue in cheek, but it was really entertaining. The wording regarding that stipulation match was strange, and I'm glad I'm not the only that caught the error.

Also, are The Gunns still members of The Firm?

58 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I'll see your Mogul Embassy and I'll raise you a Trust Factory Wingmen Project (In my EWR game, Ari Daivari uses his money to buy up the other stables, only to find that he has a giant group of lower midcarders)

That's a terrible name, but a GREAT IDEA, I'm all for it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I thought the silliest part of that segment was the screwdriver getting stuck in the turnbuckle like Kenny was going to murder Mox. 

It’s a direct callback to Mox/Omega at Full Gear 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is this whole Bullet Club Gold thing by Jay White and maybe Tony Khan mocking the concept of Bullet Club knowing that it has jumped the shark and is barely relevant anymore.  I mean there are 3 version of the Bullet Club now (New Japan, IMPACT, and now AEW).   I am sure there is an indie that has a bunch of people claiming to be Bullet Club.  

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Is this whole Bullet Club Gold thing by Jay White and maybe Tony Khan mocking the concept of Bullet Club knowing that it has jumped the shark and is barely relevant anymore.  I mean there are 3 version of the Bullet Club now (New Japan, IMPACT, and now AEW).   I am sure there is an indie that has a bunch of people claiming to be Bullet Club.  

I just think it's because AEW's color scheme has Gold therefore differentiating it from other BC groups rather than mocking the concept, and wasn't White exiled from the current BC in NJPW? It'd make sense he starts his own offshoot since you are Bullet Club for life.

That being said, I hope Jeff Jarrett joins up, really cement the Silver and Black nWo vibe

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

There's probably money to be had in Dustin Rhodes turning heel and saying that, unlike his brother, he'll do whatever it takes to win a World Title

The likelihood of this happening feels kind of slim at this stage of the game, but God damn, do I love this idea. Honestly, i'd even be cool with it if they tweaked it a bit, and considered the International to be a 'world' belt, or instead said 'to keep a title' and he went for the TNT.

23 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think it accomplishes two things: 1) the obvious, let's sell a bunch of shirts, and 2) I don't know if 'mocking' is the right word, but there's definitely I guess a bit of a poetic, history-repeating itself aspect with splintering them like the original NWO - could very well be a direct reference

• Like 1

10 hours ago, just drew said:

And I liked the stuff w The Firm & Hook. Looked like Hook might’ve hurt his hand rolling into the ring. Hope he’s ok.

It looked like Hook forgot to take his watch off and it slipped open when he hit Moriarty, so he stuffed it in his pocket real quick as he was rolling in the ring.