DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/22/2023

The Natural

I think Cassidy/Wheeler will be excellent. I could see Mox/Uno being surprisingly good, too.

Also, I'm a mark for battle royals, to I'm looking forward to that.

I'm proud of us as a board for not getting into wild speculation about TK's announcement tonight. We're growing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Feels a lesser show just like last week. Hot streak of shows with PPV level matches had to end at some point.

Well, with the actual PPV coming up, it should be fine to focus on building the stories and matches that will be featured at Revolution. I'm sure there be enough entertainment value to make it worthwhile, regardless. Of course, big matches for those who will not be featured on the PPV itself couldn't hurt, right?

• Like 1

Not much crossover appeal this week.

• I was really disappointed by the Danielson/Uno match in the build up to the Page matches a year+ ago. Uno is a goof but the character and the man both have something to prove. Hopefully he takes Mox to the limit and then Mox takes him to the limit and pushes him way, way past it in the most bloody, horrific way possible. This shouldn't just be a twelve minute, "get some stuff in" match.
  • Cassidy vs Yuta came up too abruptly and I think the real story was always Trent vs Yuta, but at the same time, there's not a real story because it was all subtext and little comments. If you pay attention and care about that stuff, you get a lot out of AEW. Other than BTE, I do, so this one matters. My gut says that Yuta will get too cute with it instead of elbow Cassidy in the skull repeatedly, but we'll see. Ideally, Cassidy just uses sunglasses judo and turns all of Yuta's anger against him.
  • Saraya vs Skye is not nearly as interesting as Hayter or Storm vs Skye. My master plan had Rayne turning on Skye but I don't think they do it so close to the PPV. I honestly don't think Saraya wants to get as hard as Skye often does so we'll see what we get here.
  • Battle Royal is interesting to see who RUSH and Jarrett brush up against. Maybe each other! It's a rare chance to see Vance against Reynolds/Silver (as that was never paid off). Aussie Open is something different at least.
  • Acclaimed vs Moriarty/Bill is one of those matches where you can shut your eyes and basically lay the whole thing out yourself, but I bet Moriarty/Bowens will match up really well together.
  • Like 4

Given the tiresome ebb-and-flow of the IWC propaganda wars, this is not the kind of card AEW should be running tonight. But here we are. Sometimes shows like this end up with a hot crowd and a hungry roster that ends up overachieving, sometimes they're like the last two Baltimore shows and they stink. There's legitimate storytelling opportunities with the Mox/Uno match if they go for it, and Orange vs. Yuta could be an absolute classic pairing of two generations of CHIKARA Wrestle Factory golden boys. Pray for good wrestling, try not to think about what the ratings will look like.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

• Saraya vs Skye is not nearly as interesting as Hayter or Storm vs Skye. My master plan had Rayne turning on Skye but I don't think they do it so close to the PPV. I honestly don't think Saraya wants to get as hard as Skye often does so we'll see what we get here.

Saraya/Skye storywise has some potential depending on where they really want to go with all this. Like, if Saraya and Storm do a beatdown and try to paint an L on Skye, do Hayter and Baker save her as an AEW original, or ignore her because she's still low-card? Ruby and Skye have a little history as a tag-team, so what if it's Ruby who comes out to save her and then points out that Hayter and Britt left her cold? I think there is a lot of story potential with Ruby, Willow, Skye, and some others saying "hey, Britt and Jayme, it wasn't that long ago that you were cheating and double-teaming us and now you want us on your side? Screw all y'all"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tony's purchased WWE, simulcast with Vince and Bruce at a steakhouse. Can't be anything else.

On a serious note I just hope the major announcement is in fact something major. The last thing Tony should be doing is hyping a "major announcement" that ends up being something that elicits groans because it just kills your credibility dead and when you do it again nobody will care.

• Like 1

I very much want to see Yuta vs. OC but man it reminded me that they could have had a Best Friends vs. BCC match resulting from the storyline I completely forgot about since they did not follow up on anything to do with it until tonight. Does this mean we will see Eddie Kingston follow up on why he has animosity on top of the age with Claudio soon?

I kid. But man, OC has been on an absolute tear. I can get down if this becomes some kind of longer play feud with the ultra serious Yuta (who seems like a total goofball IRL) taking on the PAC role for OC the next few weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

F4W update said something like "it's kind of interesting, but most people won't care" so lower your expectations

I didn't see this in the daily update so will assume WOL was where you heard this. If this is true cue the low IQ Twitter trolls swarming Dave/Bryan for not reporting what it is because " u r on snowmanz payroll nd biasd lolz"

Edited by sabremike

The AEW Cycle

1. AEW puts on a long streak of very good Dynamite episodes and/or PPVs.

2. One bad episode of Dynamite happens

3. The entire world thinks that AEW is and always has been horrible and will be dead in months

4. AEW puts on a great Dynamite or PPV, repeat Step One.

Pretty much everything clicked for me. Excellent, excellent crowd. Opener ruled, was CHIKARA as fuck and told an entire, proper three-act story. The Acclaimed have lost zero heat. Jericho seemed as locked-in on his promo as I've seen him in awhile and the pen pop was lovely. Saraya actually looked fine and none of the work or story stuff was janky when I was certain it would be. AEW battle royals hit me in the half-modern half-territorial funny bone and I am all about the Bree Woo Order, assuming JJ didn't tear a hamstring. I'll gripe about the MJF promo later but heat is heat. And as somebody who's been watching Uno do his thing since the IWS days, man I love seeing supporting dudes like him get their Big Featured Episode. Dread, pathos, also EWW.

You get the idea that the locker room was taking things to heart tonight and everybody looked like they were busting their ass. Hope the crowd wasn't burned out for Rampage.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

JANE!  YUTA!  Well, THIS is awesome.  I LOVE the Lucha mat work.  Claudio comes out and presses Wheeler Yuta's DICK button!  Cassidy is so fucking awesome- showing the wrestling world how to take an ass beating.  Cassidy makes a comeback by be-pocketing his hands.  Yuta is AEWSOME beating on OC to counter his mindgames.  SWEET BRAINBUSTER!  Deuling German Suplexes!  MOUSE TRAP!  SPITTING! ROARING ELBOWS!  This match is fucking great!  Diving DDT to the floor!  Another DDT!  YUTA WITH A LAWLER PILEDRIVER! Fun nearfalls!  GREAT FINISH!  Man!  That was fucking GREAT. Claudio is FUCKING AWESOME squelching the postmatch indie hug!  Evil Uno is suddenly compelling.  Ricky Starks is over Chris Jericho!  CHRIS JERICHO!  Jericho vs Starks will be good.  Lee Moriarty and Big Bill!  The Acclaimed are OVER in PHOENIX!  Max with the Yo Momma joke!  Big Bill and Moriarty are a bowling ball of knives in picture in picture.  Max is our face in peril and Lee and Bill are fun heels.  BILL HAS AN EROTIC MOMENT!  Anthiny Bowen is AWESOME after the hot tag.  THE ASS BOYS!  BEATING ON THEIR OLD MAN!  RUNNING AROUND!  BIG BILL GETS POSTED!  BOWEN AND MORIARTY TAKE IT TO THE MAT!  ELBOW FROM THE TOP BY CASTER!  THE CROWD FREAKS OUT!  They go all Bill Watts with Christian Cage.  Saraya is limited but they make up for it by having Toni Storm demolish Skye Blue on the floor.  Skye Blue looks good in this.  Cool submission by Saraya.  Jamie Hayter and Britt Baker turn babyface!  Ruby Soho stays a tweener- not that kind of tweener, but a between TEAM HAYTER and TEAM SARAYA, wanting a match with Hayter!  Bryan Danielson is OVER in Phoenix.  Phoenix is the wrestling capital of the world.   MJF does the Flair versus Family Man Ricky Steamboat!  DRAGON!  Well, THAT was intense.  OH GEEZ!  A battle Royal!  CAMEO BY MARK BRISCOE!  YAY!  MORE MARK VERSUS JOSH WOODS! Johnny Hungee does a Stalling Vertical Suplex during picture in picture!  Awww, Aussie Open is eliminated.  I hope they have a match with Top Flight before they head back to wherever they are going.  OH MAN,  AUSSIE OPEN vs THE YOUNG BUCKS should be good!  Jay LEthal and Double J have a quick clinic on who throws the best punches.  THE FINISH! PEE! GORDLOW! PEE!  PEE! GORDLOW! PEE!  So fucking Memphis.  I love that they are setting up a non-workrate, old school heat tagteam four way.  Daddy Magic and Cool Hand Ange have to win next week.  I assume there will be a lot of blood in this MOX/ Evil Uno match.   EVIL UNO is FUCKING AWESOME in this!  This is like the Emi Sakura vs Jamie Hayter.  GREAT PILEDRIVER!  GREAT PILEDRIVER!  EVIL UNO IS ALSO BLEEDING LIKE A STUCK PIG!  This match is fucking GREAT.  EVIL UNO IS AWESOME!  POSTMATCH!  HANGMAN!  MOX BLEEDS!  FUCKING AWESOME!  JESUS CHRIST!  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!  JESUS!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

things I remember from this episode of Dynamite:

Yuta and Orange Cassidy had a pretty good match for awhile

Large William had a fun scissors taunt

Ricky Starks might escape from Jericho Island on March 5th.

Jungle Boy, like all AEW babyfaces, is cupless and vulnerable to ballshots

Saraya had a match. Various women are feuding with each other.

MJF and Bryan throwing it down after some micwork

The Battle Royal was what it was, and then Jeff Jarrett won it

AEW has a new show, that's all-access

Moxley/Uno was the final match of the night for some reason and Moxley beat the fuck out of Uno and there was blood and a fat boy dive to the floor. Post match there was more blood.

• Like 2

I did like the crowd reaction to MJF. He's tried to pull the sob story a few times and it did get people on his side for a minute (these were masterful when he was feuding with Punk) but he's officially in boy who cried wolf territory and the crowd just wasn't having it. Someone's gonna get their fucking head kicked in.

Hell of a gusher from Uno there.....

Stoked for House of Black/Elite but felt like they were going toward Kingston and Malakai for a minute there. Match should be a banger though... AS WILL BUCKS/AUSSIE OPEN

This Ruby/Jamie/Britt/Saraya drama is totally the best storytelling this women's division ever had.

• Like 4