DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/20 - 2/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

It's Sami Zayn taking on Baron Corbin.  Zayn beats Corbin's ass at first.  Corbin beats on Zayn's back!  Corbin beats on Zayn for a while.  On the toprope, Zayn punches to transition to offense.  Sami sells his back as Corbin goes back to working the back.  Sami makes his second comeback with second rope elbows.  Nice Rolling DDT by Sami!  Tope Con Hilo by Sami!  Clothesline by Corbin cuts off Sami and he hits his Blue Thunder Bomb.  FOR TWO!  Corbin looks good in this.  And he gets kicked in the head and Sami wins!  That was good.  Mustafa Ali and Dolph Ziggler wrestle.  Oh cool, Ziggler starts off total BattlARTS.  They then have a reg'lar wrestling match.  Ali gets a roll-up flashpin!  That was quick!  Asuka is in the ring, awaiting wacky Nikki Cross!  Asuka whups up on Nikki until she kicks the ringpost and Nikki Scorpion Death Drops her on the apron.  Nikki beats on Asuka during picture in picture!  Asuka cuts her off before we go to full screen.  Asuka hits three German Suplexes and then Nikki has another comeback.  Asuka cuts her off with a Second Rope Facebuster.  Asuka kicks Nikki a lot.  Nikki takes a kick right to the face and goes straight into a Falcon Arrow.  Asuka procures the Asuka Lock and that's all she wrote.  Asuka looked GREAT.  Nikki looked good in this too.  POSTMATCH, Asuka becomes a total freak, spewing blue stuff out of her mouth.  Asuka IS Gene Simmons!  The Miz and Seth Rollins wrestle!  The Miz is fun as a bumping heel and he is bumping like a FREAK in this match.  Miz goes on offense while we go to picture in picture.  Seth Rollins punches to transition and hits a nice lariat out of the corner.  Rollins hits several clotheslines.  Miz looks good countering all of Rollins finishers.  Rollins Stomps on Miz and stomps him again!  And again!  That was good.  Bronson Reed and Chad Gable have at it.  Reed and Otis stare at each other.  Gable is bouncing all over the ring for Reed.  Gable gets in an ankle lock and a Toprope Headbutt amd AN ALMOST EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX!  OTis is distracted which distracted Gable which sets up Reed to hit a SWEET Powerslam and the Tsunami.  That was good.  Elias gets mauled by Bobby Lashley.  Austin Theory and Edge wrestle for the US Title.  I don;t think I've seen Edge in a straight up singles match in forever.  I forgot how good he is.  Austin Theory is really good.  Edge becomes a sympathetic babyface and the Ottawa crowd gets behind him as he fights out of Theory's Chinlock.  Wacky athleticism by Theory as rolls off the mat and dropkicks Edge in the face.  Austin procures an armbar.  This match is a throwback to 1985 and I dig it.  I love how they building up to Edge's final comeback.  Edge starts his comeback by countering a Superplex into a TOPROPE FACEBUSTER!  Nearfalls galore!  Edge with the Crossface!  Theory makes the ropes.  MORE NEARFALLS!  Finn Balor interferes and THAT sucks.  Great match ruined by a shitty finish.  BOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 2

Is it universally considered that Rey is the best WWE babyface of all-time? I've thought that for a while. But man oh man I think we are seeing Sami take that mantle from him right now.

Babyface Sami was one of the handful of most important reasons why NXT took off. He was proxy for the audience. And I remember him for his losses (against Claudio and Neville and Shinsuke and of course KO) as much as I do his triumphs. Sami was a great babyface when he first came up on the main roster and did a lot of great work. 

I think there's a good chance that in a year or two years or three years from now we'll all realize that Sami losing in Montreal was the absolute best decision not just for this storyline but for Sami's career. We've seen the unlikely babyface underdog win the big one before. We've even seen the hometown hero win ala CM Punk. But Sami endured the most heartbreaking loss in WWE history. 

Part of the thing great babyfaces do is struggle. And struggling at times means failure with dignity. Sami, filled with self-doubt, knows he has to take down The Bloodline. He knows he needs the help of his former best friend, who he has wronged, who he only saved after the damage was already done, and he has to do all of this all after losing his chance to win the big one. That segment with KO tonight wasn't long. And it was the obvious plot point. But Sami once again hit a home run. Of course KO did, too -- IMO, he's been the best character actor in the WWE since his debuted in NXT and took Sami out and revealed his uncaring stare. And now we see where Jey's head is at as the build continues. 

There's obviously no telling what kind of material Sami's going to get after The Bloodline sage ends. There's no way it's going to be as good as what he has now because nothing has ever been this good. But if Sami could knock it out of the park with the Jackass gang, he'll figure it out. He's that damn good. Maybe he'll never win the big one. But he might end up being the best babyface in WWE history, because they laid the groundwork for that to happen. 

Anyways, his match against Corbin was good fun. Corbin's a really solid heel JTTS. Corbin's really underrated and has a really important role.

I also popped huge for Ali's counter to the famouser. I'm firmly convinced this whole thing with Dolph got set up because they were messing around before a show and Ali came up with that insane counter and they wanted to do that in a match and a story got built around that. 

Chad Gable of course rules. The same with Bronson Reed. Dear god do I love Bronson Reed. 

This main event was also really good stuff. Austin Theory is an awesome goober heel. I'm not a huge Edge fan but anyone who has been wrestling as long as Edge knows everything there is to know about how to present a good WWE TV main event, which this was. 

But man, Bianca's kind of stale. Bianca's awesome when she has a good foil to play off of. But it's outside of her range if she has to play the lead. I wish Rhea went after Bianca and not Charlotte because Rhea is an awesome heel and they'd have a great match. Asuka and Bianca are going to have a very good match and I love this version of Asuka. But Asuka doing this crazed stuff against Charlotte works better than it does against Bianca.

• Like 3

Omos/Brock both feels like a waste of a Mania match for Brock yet also a match I kinda want to see just to watch what Brock does with the big lug. Absolute worst case he just suplexes a legit giant a few times which is still something I'd watch a 4 minute match to witness.

Every match was solid to good.

I know Sami was selling the damage from the Roman match, but I kind of wish he got in a similar squash to what Cody did last week. Still, I dug the setup. I loved seeing Pearce tire of Corbin running his mouth and actively encouraging Sami to go out and beat Corbin's ass after trying to initially hold Sami back. 

Dug the Miz/Maryse segment and how it set up Miz/Seth which was far better than expected.

Dug Ali getting the victory over Dolph. That fameasser dodge was awesome and I'm shocked it hasn't been knowingly done before now. Seems kind fo perfect with all the high flyers we have running around the scene right now. 

Theory/Edge was pretty damn good and MOTN with how the dragged the crowd into everything. Only thing dragging it down a pinch was the finish which was fine but uninspired. 

Omos/Brock is kind of a WTF match. Not super into it at all even from a freak show perspective and I actually like Omos.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

But man, Bianca's kind of stale. Bianca's awesome when she has a good foil to play off of. But it's outside of her range if she has to play the lead. I wish Rhea went after Bianca and not Charlotte because Rhea is an awesome heel and they'd have a great match. Asuka and Bianca are going to have a very good match and I love this version of Asuka. But Asuka doing this crazed stuff against Charlotte works better than it does against Bianca.

This. I thought it was weird they had Rhea challenge Charlotte when people had been waiting months for Rhea/Bianca already. It was the far more sensible match. I feel like Bianca/Asuka is really only going to work well if they maybe have Bianca go heel a bit because Asuka sure as hell won't be booed. 

the way that people are throwing challenges towards Brock or Brock/Lashley... wonder if the Andre Battle Royal winner gets the opportunity to get maimed by Brock Lesnar

or are they doing a 2023 version of the time that a dude like Vladimir Kozlov was trying to challenge his way into a big match so they held a four way where the winner advanced?

I really, really can't help but feel the far more exciting WM match for the Bloodline is a Sami/Owens/Jey vs Roman/Jey/Solo 6-man. You could easily give that half an hour and headline Night 1 leading into Cody dethroning Roman on Night 2. You could even have Roman taking a beating in the 6-man leading to coming into the title match hurt, which would both protect him somewhat and still be a real 'chickens coming home to roost' payoff to both storylines.

Lesnar vs Omos certainly has a freakshow appeal, I'd rather see that than another Lashley match if we can't get an actual good matchup for Brock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steventon said:

I really, really can't help but feel the far more exciting WM match for the Bloodline is a Sami/Owens/Jey vs Roman/Jimmy/Solo 6-man.

They should have course corrected in November and had this main event Elimination Chamber. They have five hours of TV a week. They could have gotten there.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Man, NWA and DARK were really long (and good) so I'm even LATER than usual!  It's Trick Williams!  OH NO!  Ilya Dragunov!  This could be ugly.  AWESOME!  Williams smashes Ilya face to start,  I'm trying to think If I've ever seen Trick wrestle a singles match.  I assuming he usually doesn't work this STIFF!  Trick Williams is looking GREAT in this.  In picture in picture, Williams completely fucking lays it in.  Dragunov is making Williams look like a total killer.  Ilya LARIATS to transition to beating on Williams.  GREAT Enzuiguiri by Dragunov.  Ilya channels Antonio Inoki with the Toprope Legdrop.  Powerbomb and CRUSHING on Williams' face was GNARLY!  Great EVEREST Doctor Bomb?  Running Headbutt by Dragunov and that's all she wrote.  Trick Williams looked great.  Dragunov is fucking AWESOME.  Meiko Satomura is training Roxanne Perez!  It's Chase U against the DYAD!  The DYAD are good heels, beating on our beloved babyfaces.  Duke Hudson is WILD after the hot tag!  Andre Chase is SUPER FUN as a house a-fire!  Andre gets distracted by the Rock's daughter and Duke gets pinned.  That was good.  It's Jacey Jayne against Indi Hartwell.  They do some wrestling.  Hartwell goes on offense and the match gets better!  Gigi Dolan runs in and Jayne bumps all around for her former partner.  Awesome!  It's Gallus!  It's Malik Blade and Edris Enofe!  Gallus are great ass stompers.  Blade sells an ass beating like a champ.  Enofe is SPECTACULAR.  Gallus quickly dispose of Blade and Enofe.  POSTMATCH!  Pretty Deadly show up with a giant cake and then SOME CHAIRS!  Oh man!  Gallus versus Pretty Deadly should be fucking stellar.  Von Wagner and Tony D'Angelo should be good.  Hey!  It's a HOSS FIGHT!  GREAT Lariat by Tony.  GREAT Spinebuster by Tony.  D'Angelo's finisher is kind of a modified Jackhammer.   That wasn't very long but was good.  Ivy Nile should facilitate Alba Fyre to take a ridiculous bump.  This is peppy.  Nile looks good in this. That was fine.  WHOA!  Satomura vs Stark should be good.  Jinder Mahal is here to take the belt off Bron Breakker!  TOPE CON HILO!  The CREED BROTHERS take on the other two dudes!  Breakker waits for picture to picture to end to go STEINER.  Jinder gets in some lowgrade offense and Breakker hits some Suplexes.  Nice Brainbuster and knee to the face by Mahal.  Toprope Frankensteiner by Breakker!  A Spear by Breakker for the win.  That was pretty good.

• Like 1

What I caught of Trick/Ilja was solid, maybe even good. Was kind of rough at times but in a good way.

The Meiko/Roxanne training vids were neat. Does make me hope Meiko has been helping the PC/NXT ladie tighten up their strikes. For some reason they are more loose and weak than the last gen. 

Chase/Hudson vs. Dyad was good stuff. Looking like things might finally be coming to head with Hudson in Chase U going of the post match. 

Indi/Jacy was ok. Things improved when Gigi came out to beat Jacy's ass.

Gallus vs. Enofe/Blade was solid. The post match attack by Pretty Deadly was even better.

Wagner/Tony was solid.

Alba/Ivy was decent. 

Bron/Jinder was......good. Like surprisingly good. This was the best Bron has looked since he was facing the UK crew. How the fuck did this happen? Nothing against Jinder, but him bringing out something better in Bron than Crews, Waller, & even Wagner just feels weird. Jinder himself was pretty solid as well.

Didn't realize we were getting another special episode in Roadblock. Curious when the Dusty Classic is starting up for this year. Seems about the right time to promote if its happening. 

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I'm trying to think If I've ever seen Trick wrestle a singles match.

You have. They just weren't good or terrible enough to remember before now. There was a Trick/Wes rounds match you didn't like last year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

What I caught of Trick/Ilja was solid, maybe even good. Was kind of rough at times but in a good way.

I was thinking that the "roughness", which I agree with, was just due to Ilja having a more unorthodox style than most people that Trick has faced or worked out with.

• Like 1

Going from GUNTHER/Brock to Brock/Omos is ugh. Then again you get the visual of Brock chucking Omos around and avoid the risk of Brock beating GUNTHER. Like to think GUNTHER would go over and Brock would give more of a shit than he normally does. Suplex City is so stale.

Edited by The Natural

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The only thing that makes me think Vince has been on the phone with Hunter or they've had brunch or whatever is the God awful possibility of Lesnar vs. Omos. But hopefully thats just a setup.

Preferable to Lesnar vs. Wyatt, which they teased last week on SDL.

• Like 1