DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

The Billy Robinson tribute episode of Brisco and Bradshaw got awkward and I wish covered more about Robinson and less about one of the guests going on about his attempt at a shoot style company and Bradshaw saying you can’t argue with successful people. That’s an over simplification on my part, but still not enough Robinson talk. 

Don’t know if anyone here is a fan of the show but Behind the Bastards (premised on discussing the lives of the worst people of all time) is beginning a series about Vince McMahon next week. I’m sure it’ll be a lot of stuff we’ve heard before and Robert is likely to make a few errors on account of not being a wrestling fan AFAIK, but it should be something to listen to outsiders hearing this all for the first time.

I think the longest series to date is Kissinger at six episodes. Not sure Vince has the juice to get there, but the wording of the tweet makes me suspect 3+ episodes is possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don’t know if anyone here is a fan of the show but Behind the Bastards (premised on discussing the lives of the worst people of all time) is beginning a series about Vince McMahon next week. I’m sure it’ll be a lot of stuff we’ve heard before and Robert is likely to make a few errors on account of not being a wrestling fan AFAIK, but it should be something to listen to outsiders hearing this all for the first time.

I think the longest series to date is Kissinger at six episodes. Not sure Vince has the juice to get there, but the wording of the tweet makes me suspect 3+ episodes is possible. 

A friend of mine was recommending this show to me just a couple of weeks ago, but there were too many episodes and I didn't know where to start. Now I have my answer!

• Like 1

I was talking to a friend last night and she said that she found a Twitter post or something that was about horrible people and Vince's was like twenty pages long. They'll have plenty to talk about. 

EDIT: Holy crap, I just remembered that very Twitter post... which of course, I found because it was posted here.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Is there some software that pod hosts use to automatically censor “fuck?”  I’m listening to the Jericho pod with Bryan, Vinny, & Lance and every single time they say “fuck” it sounds like “f’k” and it’s glaring and annoying.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Dear lord, Robert said his script was Kissinger-length. For context, he just did a four-parter on Josef Mengele. I dislike Vince as much as anybody, but that hurts my brain a little. 

He also said he’d never received the volume of engagement that he got when he announced the Vince series. Wrestling fans continue to be a bunch of dang freaks boosting everyone’s numbers. And of course he’s overwhelmed by how much information is available about wrestling history. Put it on par with digging into European royalty. 

On 5/10/2023 at 12:12 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Great episode so far!  I had no idea Seanbaby was still around and haven't thought about him in probably 15 years.  I legit LOL'd at the pre-dropkick/post-dropkick Oppenheimer gag.

• Like 1

Well 2 episodes into the Vince Behind the Bastards and they havent really got to any bad Vince stuff yet. The first episode is basically a history of pro wrestling while the second is about his childhood of kicking Marines asses and the Playboy interview were he talks about it. Ive enjoyed it for the most part so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I’ve been happily surprised to hear a few things I didn’t know or remember in this Vince series on BTB, but oof it is a bit of a chore to get through these. I don’t find any of these guys nearly as funny as they find themselves. 

Same, but that's my issue with a lot of podcasts.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, Mister TV said:

Same, but that's my issue with a lot of podcasts.

That's why I can't get into Lapsed Fan. I listened to their Black Saturday series which was genuinely incredible and they did fantastic work as far as research and putting the events that happened in the context of the era, and ultimately the final thesis of "Ole Anderson was already a dinosaur running the territory into the ground BEFORE Vince stepped into the picture" was well-backed up.

But goddamn was it a chore to endure multiple 2-3 minute long "comedy bits" where the gist of the joke is "Jim Barnett was GAY!" 

And it reminded me why I immediately checked out every other time I had checked out Lapsed Fan before that. Cut the bad comedy out and those Black Saturday podcasts are the absolute greatest "wrestling history" podcast episodes ever.

Bix has done a couple bits lately on BTS using Chat GP (or whatever it’s called) to have “bischoff” and others saying outrageous things. And of course there are the shows with O’Connor doing his “comedy bits.” 

Going through my backlog of stuff I wanted to listen to but didn’t find the time…the Talk is Jericho episode with Dan Lambert going through his belt collection and Eddie Kingston tagging along is so good.  It’s awesome to hear from people in the business who are so passionate about pro wrestling.  Such a worthwhile listen.

• Like 2