DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Bobby Heenan's daughter did her first interview ever on Brian Solomon's podcast (Shut Up and Wrestle) and I'm 2/3rds through and it's very good. So far the main things I've learned are...

• Heenan produced interviews during WWF tapings (never knew that)
  • Heenan taught Flair the Flair Flip which Ray Stevens had taught him (I mean, maybe?)
  • Stevens lived the last ten years of his life with the Heenan family
  • Bockwinkel worse ascots everywhere, everywhere.
  • Like 2

Wrestler math is what it is but I was surprised that his daughter was that young because I remembered him mentioning his daughter going to the University of Alabama as a reason why he joined WCW and that math doesn’t totally add up with him joining in 1994

13 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Where is the Gambler episode of TIJ available? I still haven't seen it on Pandora

https://podbay.fm/p/talk-is-jericho/e/1688539500

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wrestler math is what it is but I was surprised that his daughter was that young because I remembered him mentioning his daughter going to the University of Alabama as a reason why he joined WCW and that math doesn’t totally add up with him joining in 1994

did he only have the one daughter?

I always thought his reason was WWF wasn't doing so hot in 1993, and WCW seem the more attractive place to be seeing as they got brought in Ventura and I believe Okerlund came in right before Heenan.

I also remember the concept of getting health insurance in WCW as drawing Heenan in

But if Heenan could decline to say publicly why exactly he had heat with specific guys, he might decline to mention certain details about other things because he didn’t want to or whatever

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt D said:
  • Heenan taught Flair the Flair Flip which Ray Stevens had taught him (I mean, maybe?)

I guess its conceivable since they would have both been in the AWA in 73/74, but Stevens would have also been there and could have taught him as well. Is there any footage of Flair in the AWA so we could get a sense of when he started doing it?

Bobby Heenan wouldn't be the first father to make an extraordinary claim or two to his daughter either.

There's some people in the business who only say as much as they want to say. That's why every Andre the Giant biography sorta covered the same ground until the book that came out a few years ago. I guess the existence of a Bobby Heenan book by Bobby covers a certain amount of ground that would have been covered by a biography about Bobby Heenan

4 hours ago, elizium said:

I guess its conceivable since they would have both been in the AWA in 73/74, but Stevens would have also been there and could have taught him as well. Is there any footage of Flair in the AWA so we could get a sense of when he started doing it?

There’s this early ‘74 match against Chris Taylor; no corner flip but he does like taking turnbuckles:

And then in 1976 Mid-Atlantic there’s a corner flip:

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1

I was listening to the now Infamous Lufisto interview and it led me to Chris Hero on Ace Steels podcast. I can listen to them talk about the Blood Bloods training camp for hours. It was really to listen them talk about the up their come up on the indies. I'm a fan of Punk but Ace Steels  can work circles around him in my opinion. It was cool to hear both he a Hero's insight into coaching todays talent 

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Bobby Heenan wouldn't be the first father to make an extraordinary claim or two to his daughter either.

There's some people in the business who only say as much as they want to say. That's why every Andre the Giant biography sorta covered the same ground until the book that came out a few years ago. I guess the existence of a Bobby Heenan book by Bobby covers a certain amount of ground that would have been covered by a biography about Bobby Heenan

I found Bobby Heenans book disappointing and felt heavily ghost written 

Really? I felt the exact opposite. That thing reads in Heenan's voice to me. 

EDIT: Note, I'm talking about Bobby the Brain: Wrestling's Bad Boy Tells All, and not the Chair Shots book which I haven't read. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 8/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Bobby book is a must-read if you haven't peeped it yet btw. Man, did he hate Schiavone. 

IIRC when Tony went on JR's old podcast (before they both hooked up with Conrad), Tony said something to the effect that he deeply regrets not calling Heenan after WCW folded. Tony basically shut himself away from wrestling and anyone who had anything to do with it after his brief TNA appearances.

To me, Schiavone is someone who is just unintentionally bad at maintaining friendships, and Heenan from all accounts was someone who cherished his friends and expected the same consideration in return.