DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Through the beginning of halftime, I think I’ve only really spotted two obviously tasteless jokes (with several jokes that are more predictable than anything). But there’s a lot of show after the halftime for Robert to increase his numbers.

With the show dropping a little late, I decided to stop at 2h/15m-ish and then listen to the last 4 hours today.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Between the Sheets was under 4 hours talking 1987 today. But they had a 3hr WON HOF special released in the last week and they’ll probably spend 6 hours/50 minutes on 2000 Wrestling next week

But there is WOW content. 😉

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Between the Sheets was under 4 hours talking 1987 today. But they had a 3hr WON HOF special released in the last week and they’ll probably spend 6 hours/50 minutes on 2000 Wrestling next week

Between the Sheets is my favorite podcast  but unfortunately for me my new job won't allow me just run through hours of the show while I work. When I'd get weeks a weeks behind I'd just Bing episodes through the week till I'm all caught up. I'm like a month behind and I don't know how long its going to take to get to run through 4 or 5 episodes 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this would go in here: I am listening to Shannon Sharpe and Ochocinco's podcast while at work. While on the subject of Jim Irsay, Shannon announced he was having Ric Flair on his main podcast Club Shay Shay. Shannon indicated they're going to talk about the death of Reid Flair and Reid's struggles with addiction. It sounds like it's going to get pretty dark.

• 2 weeks later...

Between The Sheets this week is split into two parts (TNA+Japan in one part, WWE+Mexico+Indies/Rev Pro in another longer part)

It might be an indicator of when I grew up that when the guest mentioned working with Toby Huss on TV show, I immediately said "Artie the Strongest Man In the World from Pete & Pete" while the guest mentioned a few other roles first.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought so too, but wasn’t going to post a link, because, well, you know …

dutch’s pod today has Ricky Morton as a guest. 

Feel free to post whatever cause I mean if you say something stupid it's probably going get ridiculed no matter the source.

With that in mind, Jim isn't exactly taking the boldest of stances in that yes wrestling is a work and it's suppose to be inherently safe for everyone involved. HOWEVER, you cannot dovetail that into an example of don't do stupid stuff and you should look at Randy Orton coming off as he said SPINAL FUSION surgery as how you should take care of yourself. You cannot gloss over that. The guy who came up under your watch and is probably safer than 99% of the talent you bash still needed spinal fusion surgery. 

The only thing honestly you can take away from the Danielson and people of his ilk is you're not made to be doing anything contact related in your 40s, worked or otherwise. I mean Cornette sort of touched on it with the guaranteed contracts and how wrestling went the other way, but if you look across MMA and boxing and sports in general, people are getting career paydays later in their career when normally that definitely wasn't the case. If you're a running back, you're probably still boned but I mean it is possible when years ago it wasn't. It's just not isolated to pro wrestling. You can make a living in profession in middle age where honestly the median age should be 25 or 26. If you're a freak of nature like LeBron, you can be as good as guys who weren't even born when you went pro. However, if he were getting dropped on his head for a living or some free safety could take a free shot at him, it would likely be a different story. However, as is, he can be a top 15-20 player in the NBA closing in on age 40. Bryan Danielson can be a top 5 worker in the wrestling after numerous injuries but he's going to pay a cost. Everyone in wrestling usually does, past or present. You cannot really make this an argument of, "In my day, ...." when a good portion of your contemporaries are in the ground before they were suppose to be or really messed up physically to the point where clearly wrestling needs a pension fund. So yeah, that argument doesn't really work anymore.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Feel free to post whatever cause I mean if you say something stupid it's probably going get ridiculed no matter the source.

to piggyback off this, there's always cases that both prove and disprove the notion. 

the Ultimate Warrior died at 54.  per cagematch, his 2nd to last match was vs. Hogan at Halloween Havoc '98 (aged 39). He was essentially coming off a 2 year layoff (WWF '96) and prior to that, a 2+ year layoff (WWF '92). 

at no point did Warrior work a hard hitting schedule. or a consistent bump schedule. or even an invasive mentally taxing schedule. he worked short, physical bouts and had promos that didn't require any real malice or the context of. Nothing that should have caused any sort of external pressure. Just "the next obstacle" type of opponent.

is Warrior an outside example? obviously. but so is somebody like Danielson, who has worked hundreds of promotions over dozens of years, and criss-crossed the country/world more times than most normal people ever will. the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. and obviously varies by person.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

to piggyback off this, there's always cases that both prove and disprove the notion. 

the Ultimate Warrior died at 54.  per cagematch, his 2nd to last match was vs. Hogan at Halloween Havoc '98 (aged 39). He was essentially coming off a 2 year layoff (WWF '96) and prior to that, a 2+ year layoff (WWF '92). 

at no point did Warrior work a hard hitting schedule. or a consistent bump schedule. or even an invasive mentally taxing schedule. he worked short, physical bouts and had promos that didn't require any real malice or the context of. Nothing that should have caused any sort of external pressure. Just "the next obstacle" type of opponent.

is Warrior an outside example? obviously. but so is somebody like Danielson, who has worked hundreds of promotions over dozens of years, and criss-crossed the country/world more times than most normal people ever will. the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. and obviously varies by person.

I think it's a bit of having two different arguments (that Cornette was having largely).

Okay, on one front, it's a case of doing crazy shit.

On the other front, it's your too injury prone or brittle.

Which is it? Cause if it was a case of both, then EVERYONE would be hurt but that's simply not the case. The folks that are on the shelf are just using recent examples like Charlotte, Omega, Danielson are all 40 and over and have worked for a fairly long time nd in the case of the two gentlemen, a LONG ASS time (a combined 47 years of pro wrestling experience). Some of the other stuff is some crazy, act of God type shit. Again, it could be mitigated with better agenting or producing (training not so much especially when you're not agenting or producing your own matches). You have a case of so many people pushing their careers past a point of where earlier generations never did outside of a handful of examples.

One thing Jim failed to mention (and to be fair, maybe he touched on it outside of that posted excerpt) is you're no longer in the self medicated era of folks taking somas like M&Ms. Guys were doing more simple and safer shit, but either the road life and the hard ass ring or the schedule were killer to the point where a bunch of people developed a chemical dependence. Guys were likely working through the same or similar injuries but drugged to the gills. That pretty much disqualifies a large portion of the generation Cornette came from. 

• Like 1

I think the point is more that if today's wrestlers took the lessons on how to work safer and smarter from the old timers and combined it with modern storytelling, scheduling, training, nutrition, and healthcare then they wouldn't get hurt nearly as much, their careers would be longer, and it would be a better, more engaging product

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I think the point is more that if today's wrestlers took the lessons on how to work safer and smarter from the old timers and combined it with modern storytelling, scheduling, training, nutrition, and healthcare then they wouldn't get hurt nearly as much, their careers would be longer, and it would be a better, more engaging product

1. Bryan Danielson IS the old timer. That's the issue. He's been wrestling a quarter century. 

2. None of that has anything to do with being in the twilight of your career and not knowing you've put two many miles on your body. Moreover, the previous generations didn't work at this level 20-25 years into their career. For example, it always kills me when I see like Tommy Gilbert reffing on a match on an old episode of Mid South. Then, you see him tag up with his GROWN son Eddie when you turn on an episode of 1983-84 Memphis wrestling. Guess what? Tommy then is basically the same age Bryan Danielson is NOW. Except instead of looking 42 or 43, he looks 55 or 60 cause of probably hard living and standing next to his son. Physically he also looks to be all of that when he takes his ring jacket off. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

To wit: Billy Gunn and Christian today are, respectively, each two years older than Eddie Marlin and Tommy Gilbert in this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnzq5_DnByk

If Jeff Jarrett had to play his grandad in a film for some reason, he would have to not go to a gym for like seven months to prepare. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

1. Bryan Danielson IS the old timer. That's the issue. He's been wrestling a quarter century. 

2. None of that has anything to do with being in the twilight of your career and not knowing you've put two many miles on your body. Moreover, the previous generations didn't work at this level 20-25 years into their career. For example, it always kills me when I see like Tommy Gilbert reffing on a match on an old episode of Mid South. Then, you see him tag up with his GROWN son Eddie when you turn on an episode of 1983-84 Memphis wrestling. Guess what? Tommy then is basically the same age Bryan Danielson is NOW. Except instead of looking 42 or 43, he looks 55 or 60 cause of probably hard living and standing next to his son. Physically he also looks to be all of that when he takes his ring jacket off. 

1. Danielson is a veteran not an old timer. Sting is an old timer

2. One of the biggest lessons to learn is how to know when you've hit that point in your career when you need to slow down and how to downshift your style so you can maintain the highlights while saving your body. I think it's better for the fans and the wrestlers. I want Danielson to wrestle until he's 70 if he wants to, he just can't do it the way he is

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

1. Danielson is a veteran not an old timer. Sting is an old timer

Yeah, Danielson has been wrestling more than long enough to be considered an old timer. He's an old timer.

Also, I dunno if you been watching what Sting has been doing in AEW but yeah safety ain't exactly been his priority. Now Jeff Jarrett who has been wrestling the same way for closing in on 40 years would be that, but Jarrett is also a case of being scrutinized cause you been wrestling the same way with very little variance over 40 years. It's a damned if do and damned if you don't. 

One of the biggest lessons to learn is how to know when you've hit that point in your career when you need to slow down and how to downshift your style so you can maintain the highlights while saving your body. I think it's better for the fans and the wrestlers. I want Danielson to wrestle until he's 70 if he wants to, he just can't do it the way he is

Thing is you make that decision in year...nine or ten. Danielson has been wrestling to the point where his body is not going to recover anything that happens. My point is I don't think Danielson is the best example of "hey, you need to slow down" when it's two different arguments being made. This goes especially when Last somewhat undercuts his own argument in that you cannot possibly roll back what modern wrestling is, fortunately or unfortunately. He's right. In my opinion, you either do what you plan to do (and god knows Danielson has his heart set on doing what he wants to do) or you hang em up. If you want to use this for younger wrestlers with 1/4 the experience and 1/10th the damage on their body, be my guest. However, Danielson ain't the guy to do that with. 

5 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Is there a sliding scale on what an "old-timer" is? Who qualified for the old timer games in baseball? Tony Garea was 41 when he was in the WWF old-timer's battle royale in 1987, and Bryan Danielson is 42 now. If that's not concrete proof then by golly what is.

I have been watching Ernie Ladd in 1984 Mid South over the last few weeks. He just turned 46, and he cannot move. You can tell this is his last year as a wrestler. Granted, you have to take into account he played pro football and being his height at that time is like being nine feet tall now. However, I am worried every time he has to do anything physical. And the shows were all taped 40 years ago.

• Like 2