DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

17 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

That's kind of half true. He did the podcast to pay for his daughter's wedding, then realized he was actually more missed than he thought he was, if I remember the reasoning correctly.

Yep, that's it. My timeline may be a little off, but apparently Conrad and Tony watched Royal Rumble 2017 together and that kinda persuaded him to do the podcast as he enjoyed that. Then, he joined MLW between his gigs/commitments with UGA sports and would do the shows that Cornette wasn't doing for MLW. After about 60 episodes or so, which was around of the time of the wedding, he decided to do the podcast full time. By the time he joined AEW, he was already all in (pun intended I guess?) again on pro wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

in news of earth-stopping interest to me and slight interest to almost everyone else, Jessie McKay and Cassie Lee have restarted their Off Her Chops podcast.

While they insist they're not retired, don't expect the in-ring comeback to be happening anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Newfound perspective hearing Kevin Sullivan talk about the Dungeon of Doom. His point: the hires were forced on him, so what did you want him to do? Sprinkle the shit all over the show, or use them all in one segment?

I….yeah I can’t argue that one. Although now I’m wondering about an alternative history that had heel Hacksaw Jim Duggan in the Dungeon. And it kind of rules to be honest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I….yeah I can’t argue that one. Although now I’m wondering about an alternative history that had heel Hacksaw Jim Duggan in the Dungeon. And it kind of rules to be honest.

I'm imagining it's pretty much the same as Team Canada Hacksaw just slightly spookier

I am in late 94 (early September to be exact) in my rewatch so the Dungeon of Doom is on its way. As for Duggan, he just rolls into WCW. I look up and he's in the locker room celebrating with Hogan after he beats Flair at BatB. No vignettes or anything. Just there. It's weird.

I wonder if Cactus Jack had stayed (cause where I am, Jack and Sullivan just had their acrimonious split) if he gets placed in the Dungeon of Doom. On Foley is Pod, Mick talked about that short lived stable in his first WCW run with Sullivan and Buzz Sawyer that ended once Buzz got hurt doing that splash and how he would have loved to see where that went. Wouldn't the natural progression and based on his character alone be a perfect fit? Even though it would have went been awful content wise and probably made him more frustrated, he would have at least gotten a big break and worked with Hogan.

It's crazy cause you see plenty of the younger talent or at least guys who haven't gotten their blessing to work at the top of the card yet become super diligent. Hell, I am coming off a few weeks where in the midst of Flair/Hogan I (the WCW version) and the ensuing rematches, "Stunning" Steve Austin who quietly got separated from Colonel Parker btw gets a chance to work with Flair as his tag partner for a WCWSN or two. He turns it up to 11. He also does it in a pretty awesome segment with Steamboat on Saturday Night prior to the Clash rematch that turned out to be one of Ricky's last matches as a full time wrestler. You can tell he's BEGGING to get elevated past the US/TV title scene. Little does he know what awaits him in the rest of his WCW run. Oh, boy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Although now I’m wondering about an alternative history that had heel Hacksaw Jim Duggan in the Dungeon. And it kind of rules to be honest

somehow Dungeon Jim Duggan would just be him doing his 1980s Mid-South gimmick, only if he was a member of Sullivan's Florida group

Yeah, it's not too crazy. That said, would have been tough to tap into that again? I mean JJ Dillon the manager never remotely showed up when he was figurehead for WCW even when he made rulings for the fans to support. He got to be the bumbling idiot who needed to consult with the championship committee on every ruling, and then it took 3 whole months to figure out Sting wanted to wrestle Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Was he just playing the Tunney role for WCW to a tee or was it just he didn't know how to be JJ Dillon? It also could be a thing where if he didn't have a program or a person to focus on as opposition, it makes it tough to be as compelling. It's the argument why a lot of these wrestlers who happen to be great talkers sucked as managers. 

I don't know if that era of Jim Duggan could do that even though he showed some flashes here and there in the early Nitro days especially the beginning of the nWo storyline.

The problem with JJ as commish I think, is that he was a career heel. JJ did not seem to work as a face. Him as Tunney felt like "hey it's cool that he had a job still but that did not work at all". The crazy thing for me is getting to see all the great work he did with the Horsemen after the fact and realizing that he was incredible whereas all I'd experienced before was just... crap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Would you say same for Bockwinkel? 

To an extent. I'm guessing he didn't really care to do it though and was just there for the paycheck. It always cracks me when Schiavone talks about how Bockwinkel was on TV about to give an announcement, forgot which WCW PPV he was going to talk about, and Tony had to totally cover for him.

Then there was Heenan on either SuperBrawl 94 or Slamboree 94 being like, "Nooooooooo! Don't let him talk! He'll NEVER shut up!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Tony had to totally cover for him

That Benoit/Meng "death match" I had to review was so sad for Tony and Bobby having to cover for Penzer just going by regular rules to the point Tony had to say "he's telling him to get up" while the camera has a close-up of him giving them a ten-count. Good ol' WCW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think post War Games, for any and almost every gimmick match, WCW would get a bit excessive on adding rules to matches that it would make it hard for even the workers to follow. So you get a lot of matches with pin attempts where pins aren't allowed but it's not explained why pins are prohibited. You get matches where the object is basically to get a weapon but it's never actually explained if using the weapon ends the match and awards the win to the person who used it. You get matches where wrestlers are trying to cheat behind the ref's back but they're already in essentially a No DQ match. The examples go on and on. So what ends up happening is a bunch of confusion on commentary regarding when the match is actually over. It's hard to sell a great false finish when the commentators have no clue what's going on. Then, Russo going to WCW just poured gasoline onto an already raging fire. I think WWF had some of the same problems (see: Randy Savage vs. Crush at WM X) especially as the 90s rolled on but usually they knew what was designed to be a clusterfuck from the get-go and what wasn't.

• Like 2