DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I think I mentioned this last month but it’s really hard to go back to Bischoff’s pod once you start the Jarrett pod, at least to me. When you purport to be a show about “the business of the business”, you should know about running a business. Double J does, Bischoff doesn’t. It makes the whole thing cringeworthy to me and I unsubscribed a while back.

There was one a couple of weeks ago where he and Conrad got heated with each other over AEW having Collision. I never actually listened to it because I can't think of anything I want to listen to less than Bischoff's post-traumatic Thunder syndrome rantings. He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't think it will work b/c it failed when he tried it 25 years ago. For someone who always says "context is king", he sure as shit doesn't adhere to that when it comes to AEW's new show. Just because some Turner schmuck exec who wanted WCW to fail hoisted a show on you back then with no warning or plan doesn't mean that's what's happening right now.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Ok as a chikara fan, what's bts so i can listen to it?

BTS is the Between The Sheets podcast, hosted by DVDVR alums Bix and Kris Zellner. Episode in question is episode #407, released last week.

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

BTS is the Between The Sheets podcast, hosted by DVDVR alums Bix and Kris Zellner. Episode in question is episode #407, released last week.

Probably close to three entire months of your life if you were to listen to all of it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

There was one a couple of weeks ago where he and Conrad got heated with each other over AEW having Collision. I never actually listened to it because I can't think of anything I want to listen to less than Bischoff's post-traumatic Thunder syndrome rantings. He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't think it will work b/c it failed when he tried it 25 years ago. For someone who always says "context is king", he sure as shit doesn't adhere to that when it comes to AEW's new show. Just because some Turner schmuck exec who wanted WCW to fail hoisted a show on you back then with no warning or plan doesn't mean that's what's happening right now.

If you think about Thunder is one of the few secondary/ B shows that started off on a bad foot when you compare it to other shows of its ilk. Those other shows either started off hot, started trying something completely new and separate from the A show, or at the very least tapered off dramatically from a respectable and decent start. Smackdown is probably is the only one that lasted cause it got several years to establish its own identity, but others tried their best effort out of the gate.

Those first few Thunder episodes were dogshit. The first episode was THREE hours of dogshit. Hey, crazy shit happens. You get more on your plate than you expect. However, Eric has gotta take some some responsibility for it.

When I worked overnights doing 12 hours, I used to listen to BTS from when it dropped at midnight until either it was done or I went home. 

now, it takes me all week to listen in bits and bobs. 

• Like 1

i think the Jarrett and Bischoff pods, while both having episodes about running your own promotion/company/etc. have that in common, their entire roles were not even close to the same. OF COURSE they have wildly different takes on what did/didn't work, and especially WHY that was the case. it's definitely not a one-to-one comparison. Just like if you would try to compare Bischoff's role with WCW (EVP) to Kenny Omega's with AEW (EVP). 

Bischoff was brought in to lead an existing company. He had overseers from Turner, and was at their mercy as far as shows/timeslots/etc. He had a lot of freedom to run that company, sure, but he didn't necessarily need to be minutely involved in everything- there were already a number of department heads that handled their own stuff too. Bischoff strikes me more of a guy who issues a decree, gets the ball rolling, and then trusts/lets his subordinates actually make it work. 

Jarrett started a company from scratch. He was working out television deals, both domestically and worldwide. He was creating partnerships with other promotions and other industries. There was no "corporate synergy" that would allow him to crossbrand with NASCAR, or Dinner and a Movie, or any of that. He was putting together the production team. He was the head of creative. he was the top babyface or the top heel for many years running. Jarrett just had his hands in so many more aspects of the company, because he HAD TO.

Kenny Omega...i don't really know what he does. something with the video game department and at one point was rumored to be heavily involved with the women's talent/booking? or maybe that was just the joshi talent? not sure.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:45 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Those first few Thunder episodes were dogshit. The first episode was THREE hours of dogshit. 

SHHHH, let it be a surprise when @SmellyMcUgly gets there with his Nitro reviews.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:18 PM, driver said:

And I enjoyed listening to a Jericho pod with Howard Jones about Barren Cross' Atomic Arena. No rasslin', just CC Metal.

Him and Corey Taylor breaking Kiss Music from The Elder was a hoot. Kinda wish I was friends with the guy so I could talk music and wrestling with him

Paul Heyman is the guest on the newest episode of the Rick Rubin podcast. 3+ hours. Haven't had a chance to listen to it just yet, though, so I don't if it's a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

searching YouTube and holy fuck Cornette's channel has at least 30 videos titled "Jim Cornette on AEW Dynamite's Ratings" (some of the videos don't include the word TV)

It's a weekly segment

RVD's new podcast is pretty good but the host is terrible - anytime Rob Van Dam says "hey remember when I did this?" the host fakes knowing what he's talking about, and then bookends Rob's story with "I kinda remember that now!" (when he clearly doesn't). It's obnoxious.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

could you imagine the shitty podcast hosting that RF could be doing right now if not for the local news and an online group

(now let me see if that name is still filtered)

Best possible scenario would be a podcast solely about how much the Von Erichs liked to party.

8 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

It's a weekly segment

RVD's new podcast is pretty good but the host is terrible - anytime Rob Van Dam says "hey remember when I did this?" the host fakes knowing what he's talking about, and then bookends Rob's story with "I kinda remember that now!" (when he clearly doesn't). It's obnoxious.

Shitty cohosts can really detract from wrestling pods that could have been good.  Sean Oliver was a major reason I stopped listening to Nash's show.

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

searching YouTube and holy fuck Cornette's channel has at least 30 videos titled "Jim Cornette on AEW Dynamite's Ratings" (some of the videos don't include the word TV)

Considering they do a rating segment every week, I'd have thought there would quite a lot of them. 

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Considering they do a rating segment every week, I'd have thought there would quite a lot of them. 

You’d think they’d mix up the video titles from week to week. Or just do the 20 hour omnibus video about AEW ratings

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Or just do the 20 hour omnibus video about AEW ratings

Your might as well listen to the Wilhelm scream for 20 hours. Would be just about as educational.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1