DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

you also wonder about all the modern day wrestlers who have physical sports in their background that have contact at the roots (football, amateur wrestling, mma, boxing) vs those who have a non-contact physical background (gymnastics, fitness contests, bodybuilding) and how they are conditioned both mentally and physically for alternations/confrontations. Not to mention guys in the business with no organized sports background. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

you also wonder about all the modern day wrestlers who have physical sports in their background that have contact at the roots (football, amateur wrestling, mma, boxing) vs those who have a non-contact physical background (gymnastics, fitness contests, bodybuilding) and how they are conditioned both mentally and physically for alternations/confrontations. Not to mention guys in the business with no organized sports background. 

You probably don't want to fight any of them if we're being honest.  Nobody who is that good at a sport is someone you should take lightly.  If nothing else, that person knows how to compete, which most people don't.  The vast majority of people do not have the willpower to do what they have to do to become an elite athlete.  Those people tend to be incredibly determined, and getting punched in the face won't be that much of a deterrent to kicking your ass if that is what they decide to do.  With that said, training to fight is a different animal than any other sport.  If you've done any boxing, grappling, wrestling, whatever, you'll become very comfortable getting beat up.  If you get punched in the face once or twice in your lifetime, getting punched will be very disorienting.  If you decide to box, you're going to get punched in the face over and over again a few times a week.  Unless you really catch a bad one, you'll probably have the ability to recognize what he hit you with and come up with a plan to not let it happen again.  Everyone pretty much starts at zero, so if you decide to try a combat sport you're going to spend a decent amount of time getting your ass kicked.  If you stick around after the first 6 months or so, you're probably tougher than 90% of the people walking around.  Dax Harwood may be a hard man, but if you're taking bets always bet on the person who spends his free time learning how to give and receive an ass whooping.  

I’ve been training BJJ 3 to 5 days a week for the last 14 years, for the last 6 years I’ve been doing it at 7 AM before work, we fully recognize that we are not “normal.” And at about 142 lbs I’m one of the smallest people in my academy, I’ve spent a large portion of my grappling career being the board, not even the nail.

The first thing I tell white belts is; everything is fine, that’s what you have to keep running through your head, this is fine. If you panic or get stressed out your body tenses up, you build up lactic acid in your muscles and you gas out, then you’re really fucked. Staying calm under fire is the most important and hardest lesson to learn. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was talking more about intra-wrestler fights, not civilians vs workers. 

I'd put pro wrestlers pretty high on the list of guys you don't want to fight, but they are below anyone who has been training to be an elite athlete since childhood, and especially below anyone who has any expertise in a martial art.  Chad Gable might be a 5'8 goof, but he's a 5'8 goof who would drag 75% of the roster in a fight.  There just plain isn't much of a substitute for the kind of regimented training it takes to become a great amateur wrestler.  He probably started when he was a small child, and that kind of work ethic, determination, and toughness is ingrained deeper than you'll ever get when you start doing anything as an adult.  

• Thanks 1

Someone like Tyson Fury destroys "he don't look tough" mythos if the UFC didn't do it. I don't know why folks are still having that argument. Like I am sure out of shape Riddick Bowe was partly the inspiration for the weigh-in scene in The Great White Hype where Damon Wayans as James "The Grim Reaper" Roper shows up looking like he's in his second trimester. Present day Tyson Fury makes out of shape Riddick Bowe look like 1991 Davey Boy Smith when his body composition had to be 50% stanozolol and 50% nandrolone. He's a fucking physical mess. Yet, he's the most dominant heavyweight champion of the last quarter century that featured Wladimir and his brother knocking out cab driver after cab driver and the tail end of Lennox Lewis.

Cole Konrad looked like Buddy Rose in the Blow Away Diet ad the last time he was an active athlete (to be fair, he's in much better shape since stepping away). However, from all eyewitness reports, he use to fuck Lesnar's shit up in practice when Lesnar was UFC champ. He was just as dominant as a D1 wrestler at the University of Minnesota as Gable Steveson, if not more dominant.

2023 Brawl for All would go the exact same as the one 25 years ago: A bunch of former athletes and athlete adjacent folks windmilling until someone got embarrassed. The only difference is 1998 was Toughman contests where some mom from Oshkosh, WI would get put in a coma after a six rounder. Today is a bunch of Youtube personalities, out of their physical prime ex NFL and NBA players, and apparently pro wrestlers. I don't see where the debate comes from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

built like a brick shithouse

I don't know why, but this can't be how we describe Otis' build.  He's more like an amusement park bathroom, where it's just a big wide brick building that is technically a shit house and technically made of brick, but way different than what we think of when we think of a brick shithouse.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, odessasteps said:

I'd recommend Greg Kleins pod, which is a lot of 80s Houston and Mid South, but also his brief time working in the Alabama Indies in the 90s. He's also a Jerry Grey guy.

I'd also recommend Beaus pod, charting the territories and the Studcast, for your Non AV shows. 

I second the reco on CTT. Al and Jon kill it.

I'll toss Wrestling@Random if you want a watch along pod.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, odessasteps said:

I'd recommend Greg Kleins pod, which is a lot of 80s Houston and Mid South, but also his brief time working in the Alabama Indies in the 90s. He's also a Jerry Grey guy.

I'd also recommend Beaus pod, charting the territories and the Studcast, for your Non AV shows. 

I second the reco on CTT. Al and Jon kill it.

I'll toss Wrestling@Random if you want a watch along pod.

Great Pod but mental health is more important. I hope with the podcast ending he gets less twitter psychopaths harassing his family. 

Hopefully Matt Koon can strike gold again with a great host. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Great Pod but mental health is more important. I hope with the podcast ending he gets less twitter psychopaths harassing his family. 

Hopefully Matt Koon can strike gold again with a great host. 

I’m sure he’ll get less Twitter psychos now. I’m with you it’s sad that his family is being dragged into this.

I’m also a bit surprised his boss never asked him to tone it down after some of his comments before. 

Had Matt Koon did any wrestling ones before Regal? I’ve heard nothing but good things about him.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

RIP Dax’s podcast. The breakdowns of psychology were incredible. Him spilling tea and getting caught up in drama was silly. 

Like Bret lol. 

I've only listened to about 3 episodes. Of course It's was cool getting to hear his psychology. I really liked when his time in NXT and the developmental more than his WWE and main roster run but at the same time it's weird to hear him break down matches that's happened 5 years ago or less knowing he's still in his prime.

He definitely should do the podcast thing when his career winds down or after his prime years because I expect him to have more classic or even go into the matches he hadn't got to cover 

Dax is such a good dude. If he didn't have the podcast, there wouldn't have been that live show in LA that I and alot of people got a chance to hear the stories in person and meet Dax as well as Cash, Spears and Wardlow. As much as I loved shooting the shit with them, it was also great seeing them have genuine interactions with everyone. Real top guy shit. I hope one day Dax restarts the pod, he was really hitting his stride.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Dax is such a good dude. If he didn't have the podcast, there wouldn't have been that live show in LA that I and alot of people got a chance to hear the stories in person and meet Dax as well as Cash, Spears and Wardlow. As much as I loved shooting the shit with them, it was also great seeing them have genuine interactions with everyone. Real top guy shit. I hope one day Dax restarts the pod, he was really hitting his stride.

Dax absolutely comes across as a genuine, heart on his sleeve sort of guy and coupled with the wrestling knowledge and candid discussions about anxiety, his podcast was one of my absolute favorites.  I'll absolutely miss it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Well, if this four year contract is his last (he’s 38 now) then I could see him returning to the podcast game with less awkward currently contracted wrestler moments. A combination of his career and maybe him commentating over classic matches. Sucks that it would be so long from now, but I’d listen.

I really liked him and enjoyed the podcast. With his miscarriage story he joined Naomi in wrestlers that make me tear up and now I’ll always cheer for them.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

a 27 minute video from the Cornette podcast about Jerry Springer passing away... that has some weird potential to it

Including how Vince Jedi Mind Tricked JC into not doing the Springer show with New Jack and the Bullet just days before it was taped. 

Edited by odessasteps