DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Ringside Rewind is Back!! We kick off 2023 by talking about all things return of Vince McMahon.

We also touch on Wrestle Kingdom & AEW

LISTEN Online - ringsiderewind.com

Spotify - spoti.fi/3k42y2F

Apple- apple.co/3QoLrF9

The Dax podcast this week is great. All about the early days of The Revival in NXT. One fun fact: Their name came from Sami Zayn, who was at the gym with them and a CCR song played and said they should call themselves TTR instead. Got changed to The Revival in a much better move.

A lot of putting HHH over with reasons why a lot of wrestlers love a dude that we all hated when he was a performer.

But the breakdown at the end of how to make a hot tag work and how the drama of tag wrestling is not just with the result but is primarily in making a guy watch his best friend get the shit kicked out of him, often by duplicitous means, as he can do nothing but watch until the catharsis of the tag rules. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I love Dax's podcast but the best non-wrestling part are easily the Bluechew ads.  First one has Dax calling for his wife about the ad and his kid walks in wondering what Bluechew is.  Laughter ensues, Dax has a moment of "Oh, no, how am I gonna get out of this?" and they laugh the rest of the way through the ad.  Two weeks after that his wife's around to comment and things go well then I find out she's Greek.  So not only is Dax a wonderful person but it's clear to me he has great taste.  EDIT:  Oh, man, now he's talking about awesome Greek food and on top of his love for tequila I would be thrilled to meet him.

Oh, and Matt did say at the top that they're gonna do a Jay episode next week since Dax emotionally can't do it this week.  But in its place is a really fun episode on FTRKO which pointed out many things I may have missed at the time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Brisco and Bradshaw’s show is pretty great. Love the older guests. Seems very casual and you can tell the guests are happy to reminisce. So far listened to The Grappler, Wild Bill, Regal, RVD, Bob Roop, Michael James, and of course RON FUNCHES!!! Good stuff. I stayed away because of my biases against JBL bully stories, but the podcast is very good.

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

Brisco and Bradshaw’s show is pretty great. Love the older guests. Seems very casual and you can tell the guests are happy to reminisce. So far listened to The Grappler, Wild Bill, Regal, RVD, Bob Roop, Michael James, and of course RON FUNCHES!!! Good stuff. I stayed away because of my biases against JBL bully stories, but the podcast is very good.

I don't know if there's any WWE affiliation or anything that might prevent him from appearing, but I'd love to hear Ron Simmons on there - so much of what I have heard of him cover the years covers Doom and the WCW WHC win (and probably rightfully so) - but the kid in me wouldn't mind hearing a couple stories of the APA and the Stooges on the road in that '97-'02 period. Obviously, 'attitude' has been done.to.death. on every podcast, DVD doc, etc. ever, but so much of it is framed from the perspective of a sausage-maker (think Russo, Pritchard, Corny) or even when the subject is a sub-main-eventer (I'll say Bob Holly just for the sake of giving a name) it's often just memories of first impressions, reactions, etc. to whatever or whoever was happening in the main event scene. I'd love to hear a little nitty gritty on the undercard of the period... Like for example, those guys covering their perspective of the Public Enemy kerfuffle without the filter/lens of a WWE prod. team? Yes, please!

• Like 4

Who is Dax talking about having confronted about going to Meltzer? Later in the episode he references something that essentially sounds like him not being in good standing with Matt Jackson 'now'. I like Dax's honesty, but I worry about the needless heat he's stirring up. 

I was surprised that Cornette didn't know a little bit more about Scientology  (in regards to Hogan) since Scientology came up on a South Park episode and I think South Park is one of the 5 recent shows that Cornette watches (South Park, Family Guy, Curse of Oak Island, Dog the Bounty Hunter, and... well, he watched the Rock'n'Roll HOF induction ceremonies, so that's 5)

The Lapsed Fan has an ongoing series covering the early part on Hogan coming in TNA with Bischoff. If you've listened to them for any significant period of time you know they've been dead set against doing episodes on TNA so I couldn't imagine how much someone had to pay for them to cover TNA. The episodes have been they entertaining and informative and I'm not nostalgic for TNA yet at all right now  

On 1/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

Cornette does a watchalong to the Royal Rumble match 1992 on this weeks experience. The match is on Youtube as well so you can easily watchalong even if you don't have Peacock/WWE network.

a watchalong with many highlights such as Jim talking about Nikolai Volkoff fighting drunk cajuns in Louisiana and

Spoiler

Jim confusing Tito Santana with Ricky Steamboat for a second because of the El Matador tights

On 1/26/2023 at 3:33 AM, Cobra Commander said:

a watchalong with many highlights such as Jim talking about Nikolai Volkoff fighting drunk cajuns in Louisiana and

Hide contents

Jim confusing Tito Santana with Ricky Steamboat for a second because of the El Matador tights

If you've ever seen dick blood, it looks the same whether it comes from Mexico or Hawaii.

• Haha 2

One of the most interesting things in the Dax podcast so far was what he was making and what he eventually got offered during the pre-pandemic bidding wars:

His main roster contract was something like 125, 150, 175, and then when they were trying to get them to stay, they offered him 675 or something because he kept saying no.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

One of the most interesting things in the Dax podcast so far was what he was making and what he eventually got offered during the pre-pandemic bidding wars:

His main roster contract was something like 125, 150, 175, and then when they were trying to get them to stay, they offered him 675 or something because he kept saying no.

Whoa, that's wild - I'll say this: if you look at that period of early pandemic releases, there's no doubt in my mind they would've gotten Good Brother-ed after 'Mania. Like, probably beat-for-beat the same trajectory. No idea what their current deal is like or what they may be discussing for a new one but from the outside looking in, the way things worked out in reality is probably the ideal situation for FTR both financially and artistically. They'd have had much less negotiating power with TK if they took the 675 and were in the unemployment line a month later. (Plus, let's not forget, this may be public posturing/negotiating - love FTR to death, but workers gots to work).

The beginning of this week’s ep of Dax was super awkward with the Roaaddog talk (yes, Toaddog is a douche) and it gets into Roaddog’s podcast buddy, Kasio (?), snarky jab at Dax. Matt Koon tries to defend Kasio because they’re friends and it’s very uncomfortable.