DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Just now, odessasteps said:

Or worse, actually watching 20 straight hours of AEW. 😉

Considering Jim Cornette booked Mike Furnas on a regular basis for like a year, I would rather watch the best of QT Marshall on AEW Dark for a month as my only source of entertainment.

• Like 1

You could make a pretty solid two hour-long comp of the best of QT Marshall on AEW Dark and Elevation.

• QT vs Danhausen
  • QT vs Claudio
  • QT vs Dante
  • Best Friends/Danhausen/Rocky vs Factory
  • Best Friends vs Factory
  • QT vs Fuego
  • QT vs Sydal

That's just between June and October of last year too! He had the Andretti match that got Andretti a job in there as well and probably at least one good Dark Order match. QT's main problem is when he shows off his athleticism without falling on his face a bit too much to prove that he's not the worst wrestler on the roster and that he deserves his spot. When he just wrestles how he's supposed to, he's fine. I didn't think he lived up to the possibilities of the Orange Cassidy singles match enough, for instance. That should have been funnier with more shtick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You could make a pretty solid two hour-long comp of the best of QT Marshall on AEW Dark and Elevation.

• QT vs Danhausen
  • QT vs Claudio
  • QT vs Dante
  • Best Friends/Danhausen/Rocky vs Factory
  • Best Friends vs Factory
  • QT vs Fuego
  • QT vs Sydal

That's just between June and October of last year too! He had the Andretti match that got Andretti a job in there as well and probably at least one good Dark Order match. QT's main problem is when he shows off his athleticism without falling on his face a bit too much to prove that he's not the worst wrestler on the roster and that he deserves his spot. When he just wrestles how he's supposed to, he's fine. I didn't think he lived up to the possibilities of the Orange Cassidy singles match enough, for instance. That should have been funnier with more shtick. 

I would also add that another positive is I won't have to listen to Rocky Top. That's a big check mark in my book.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Considering Jim Cornette booked Mike Furnas on a regular basis for like a year, I would rather watch the best of QT Marshall on AEW Dark for a month as my only source of entertainment.

Furnas has 15 matches listed on Cagematch, from Christmas 1993 to May 2, 1994. Four of his matches were at the same TV taping. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If Rubin has Heyman on his podcast, you'd think Jim would be a future guest, unless (shockingly) he has burnt that bridge. 

This thread is somehow the first I've heard that Rubin has a pod (though I guess everyone does, these days). I bet Billy Corgan would be an interesting guest - I'm sure it would be more music than wrestling, since Rubin helmed the latest Pumpkins album, but I'd be really interested to hear Corgan defend some of his booking/personnel choices with post-COVID NWA (though part of me doubts they would even get that deeply into it, other than a cursory contrast/compare with SMW).

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think Cornette was booking Smoky TV tapings in D towns anyways. Dungannon, Virginia hasn't has more than 500 people in the town limits ever. So how much competition is there for local entertainment?

They have or had a Holiday Inn or Motel 6 cause Caudle did the read for one, which is always fun cause he makes these shitty motel accommodations like a color TV sound like the Ritz. Meanwhile, there are like a host of cockroaches and bed bugs crawling all over you and a room three doors down has a low level crack deal going down.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They have or had a Holiday Inn or Motel 6 cause Caudle did the read for one, which is always fun cause he makes these shitty motel accommodations like a color TV sound like the Ritz. Meanwhile, there are like a host of cockroaches and bed bugs crawling all over you and a room three doors down has a low level crack deal going down.

I think ive heard them play a SMW read on BTS. It may have also been the hotel/apartment place where the wrestlers lived. 

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think ive heard them play a SMW read on BTS. It may have also been the hotel/apartment place where the wrestlers lived. 

Pretty sure they stayed at whatever chain of run down motels that where in the area, which is why Caudle did the reads. I am guessing they got a discount.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pretty sure they stayed at whatever chain of run down motels that where in the area, which is why Caudle did the reads. I am guessing they got a discount.

You're pretty spot on, that's a pretty common technique for a host hotel for an event. Get a room block at a discount, get free advertising in exchange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

You're pretty spot on, that's a pretty common technique for a host hotel for an event. Get a room block at a discount, get free advertising in exchange.

Obviously, due to the size of Cornette's operation, he was not going to have a bunch of (as Eric Bischoff coined) "geographical undesirables". If you're getting a Mike Furnas in the rotation, you are definitely only using him because of his brother being Doug Furnas and the fact he lives close by. There is literally no other reason to use him. Same could be say for a Killer Kyle or Ron Santo who would often appear on WCW Saturday Night tapings doing enhancement matches from Center Stage the same week they were on Smoky Mountain television.

However, if you're talking about Candido and Tammy or folks doing a shot here and there like Dory Jr. and Terry Funk, Jake, Arn, etc., you have to put them up somewhere if they don't live in a reasonable driving distance from the venue. Then, you have to somehow do it at a price that doesn't kill you financially. I know some folks probably did Cornette a solid and basically made it a road trip there and then back home. However, that wasn't the case for everyone.

IIRC Brian Lee got in trouble and arrested at one of those motels. I think he was one of the guys who was basically living out of one of those motels.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If Rubin has Heyman on his podcast, you'd think Jim would be a future guest, unless (shockingly) he has burnt that bridge. 

If I had to guess, Rubin is probably more in the group of people that Jim hasn't talked to because neither has the others current contact info

Sorta like how listeners had to skiptrace Norman Dooley to get him in contact with Jim, and Dooley lived on the other side of the river from Jim

Today I legit I saw a guy in the gym with a Hulkamania water bottle.

I was tempted to say, "That's a cool water bottle.  OR MAYBE IT ISN'T, BROTHER!"

"Nice bottle. Does it keep cold?" 

"IT'S NOT HOT!"

• Haha 3

next week on Between the Sheets will be 2012 (including the first week of the Full Sail NXT era and a segment with special guest Colby Corino), make sure to clear 8 hours on your schedule for that episode

meanwhile this week:

Spoiler

"I don't think we've had any cars blasting Jamaican dancehouse... Jamaican dancehall music yet, have we?"

"No, but Jamaican me crazy Bix"

"Thank you Mike Adamle"

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:52 PM, Shane said:

Paul Heyman is the guest on the newest episode of the Rick Rubin podcast. 3+ hours. Haven't had a chance to listen to it just yet, though, so I don't if it's a good one.

Finally got around to listening to this, and his talk about what Roman felt the need to change in terms of presentation during the COVID precaution shows really helped crystallize what I find myself butting up against whenever I catch any Bloodline stuff. It’s the mindset of “we’re not doing angles, we’re doing scenes.” I know some people have really enjoyed it, but that’s the perfect description for what takes me out of some of it. 

A good listen though. Paul spending five minutes describing the plot of Angels With Dirty Faces is somehow strangely captivating. I would love to attend Bloodline movie night. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...