DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Is there wrestling connection with Jerry Springer other than Russo getting ton of inspiration for his crash TV from him.

on another note Dalton on AEW unrestricted was a very fun informative listen

a few things that come to mind

1) Springer's show became more and more of a work over time, like wrestling. Neither was telling you that it was fake upfront though.

2) Jamie Dundee was a talent booker for the Springer show for a time

3) Jerry guest hosted Raw in the 2010s

For all the things Russo can be criticized over, he was smart enough or accidentally smart enough to figure out that a Springer fanbase really isn't all that different from a Wrestling fanbase.

If there was Cincinnati studio wrestling with Jerry Springer as the host, he probably would have made for a good host of that. Not sure if any wrestling shows ever ended with the host giving final thoughts ala Springer's talk show, but that would be novel enough to get some of the booker's main points of the show across.

Also I'm expecting to hear somewhere in the 27 minutes of Cornette that Springer wrote a personal check to a prostitute and that Cincinnati isn't that far away from Louisville. Okay, i'm guessing that it's gonna only be like 24 minutes and there's an ad read at the end.

• Like 2

Sami Zayn on Andrew Santino's podcast is really good. Andrew Santino wasn't familiar at all with him outside of both their fans comparing them based on them being Gingers. Sami is great at representing the business to people aren't familiar with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m currently thinking out the Bill Watts Show. Where Bill is joined by mute cohost Boyd Pierce and he spends the hour ranting on local college football and his friends while occasionally welcoming guests.

Also every other show will be hosted by Jim Ross and Joel Watts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Sami Zayn on Andrew Santino's podcast is really good. Andrew Santino wasn't familiar at all with him outside of both their fans comparing them based on them being Gingers. Sami is great at representing the business to people aren't familiar with it. 

I find myself appreciating these type of podcasts a lot more as it allows for deeper conversations instead of just a purely wrestling one.  He got pretty philosophical with Andrew and Sami's always been great in these type of environments.  He also went pretty deep with Ron Funches on his pod even though Ron is a huge wrestling fan.  Oh, and if you like Sami on this they also had Cena on there.  They're the only two wrestling ones done so far but that was pretty damn great as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m currently thinking out the Bill Watts Show. Where Bill is joined by mute cohost Boyd Pierce and he spends the hour ranting on local college football and his friends while occasionally welcoming guests.

Also every other show will be hosted by Jim Ross and Joel Watts.

We spend a decent amount time on the new show discussing "geopolitical" Bill Watts and his thoughts on foreign policy and evil heels from abroad (even if they really were from Texas like Scandar Akbar). 

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I find myself appreciating these type of podcasts a lot more as it allows for deeper conversations instead of just a purely wrestling one.  He got pretty philosophical with Andrew and Sami's always been great in these type of environments.  He also went pretty deep with Ron Funches on his pod even though Ron is a huge wrestling fan.  Oh, and if you like Sami on this they also had Cena on there.  They're the only two wrestling ones done so far but that was pretty damn great as well.

He comes across as a great representative of the company in these interviews. He comes across as very relatable too. Not every top guy has to be that Superstar type. It's nice to have a Mick Foley type too. I'll check out the Ron Funches one too. He's just great at just shooting the shit in general because his BSS with Austin was probably my favorite episode and it made me Root for him even more than I already was at the time 

• Like 1

One of the things I mentioned was not realizing when I started watching in 85 how many places Bock had defended the belt. I thought everyone in the Apter Mags was in the NWA except Verne and Vince. Didn't yet know all the history of places like Memphis using Bock. 

• Like 2

I wrote a longer post the wrestling books thread but Death of the Territories was extremely informative on stuff like WCCW pulling out, Mid-south , not being officially an NWA member but having a working relationship, smaller territories getting frustrated with JCP essentially becoming The NWA, hell Vince Sr was still on the NWA board in 82. A lot more than just NWA, AWA and WWF

• Like 1

Something that made me laugh: A couple weeks ago now, Schiavone and Conrad did a watchalong of the Memphis show from 1986 with a show long angle around Dundee and Landell attacking 19 year old referee Jeff Jarrett that prompts the return of Lawler after losing a loser leaves town match. That isn't the story as much as the week after Conrad and Tony did the show, some of the listeners complained about Conrad talking about the crazy number of rental commercials (whether it be furniture or appliances and everything in between) and how stupid that is. The listeners were not with Conrad dissing renting furniture.

To be fair to Conrad, the shows of various southern territories where the commercials are still in intact do feature an absurd number of these ads and even more closeout/going out of business sales. They clearly know their target audience.