DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

He's from lots of different places!
My friend Breann is in her 30s and never seen Hughlander despite the fact she is a HUGE Queen fan. When I rattled off the cast she had to pull over the car we were in and screamed "M ISTER KRABBS IS IN HIGHLANDER?!?"

I love Clancy Brown and pray this isn't his overall legacy

James

I had no idea WhoTF Mr. Krabs was, but I pull up IMDb and it's his fourth damn entry for "best known for".  Fucking SpongeBob.

Paul T. Goodman on Peacock is fantastic. Do you know how The Rehearsal was the weirdest thing that has ever been on television? Paul T. Goodman is giving it a run for its money. It's a sort of biopic about a Florida guy who realized his marriage was a sham and it opens him up into a world of deceit and madness he never knew possible. But that's not even beginning to describe it. A+ for weirdos.

• Like 1

The original Salute Your Shorts pilot just leaked

Randall Miller directed the pilot episode of the series, which was filmed at Griffith Park Boys Camp in March 1990. It starred Ian Giatti as Michael, Danny Cooksey as Budnick, Kirk Baily as Ug, Michael Bower as Donkey Lips, David Tom as Sponge, Teri Johnston as Dina, Alexandra Kurhan as Telly, and Kelley Parker as Z.Z.

Wife and I watched 5-10 minutes of Power Slap: Road to the Title and laughed ourselves silly.  It’s exactly what you’d expect a show pitched by Dana White with that title to be - big muscly dudes slapping the shit out of each other.  We kinda thought there would be some sort of swerve, but nope. 

I am really skeptical this will catch on.  The presentation and staging reminded me of the various attempts to make professional arm wrestling a thing.  Remember the Sly Stallone movie?  No?  Me neither.  I remember he starred in a movie about a pro arm wrestler.  That’s about all I remember.

Anyway. Power Slap is two large guys facing each other over a tiny table and one guy lets the other slap the stuffing out of him.  Judging by the trailer and what we saw, I have no doubt these guys could actually injure each other.  In the “coming this season” trailer, one guy gets floored and apparently knocked out. When he comes to, he asks if he was in a fight and is told, no, you were in a slapping contest. The look of utter confusion on his face says a lot.  Although I did wonder if guys are really getting knocked loopy or they’re pretending so they event looks dangerous.  I guess there will be some sort of torunamernt leading to a ppv.  Lol.

Will never watch this again,  but sheer ridiculousness of it probably entertained me more than two hrs of pro wres would have.  I don’t know that a show where big ripped dudes in tiny shorts enact testosterone-fueled morality plays complete with legit blows to the head is any less absurd.

I finished The Peripheral and still liked it.  Not 100% on the mark, but a good enough diversion.

I also wondered why I hadn't ever heard a thing about a Nicolas Winding Refn TV SHOW (called Too Old to Die Young) that came out 3 years ago with everyone's favorite anti-vaxxer (non-football variety) as the lead...and then I watched some of it.

When you have a big "event" that's supposed to be "shocking" and that kicks off your entire plotline, but your audience's response to that event is, "Hey cool, now do the other one", maybe you haven't thought your show through very far.  It's just...aghhhghghg.  Unbearably slow, usually for no actual reason, it's full of Refn's worst incel-tastic impulses, and I only made it through half of the first episode (which is NINETY-PLUS MINUTES LONG AS ARE MOST OF THEM).  I just...I can't even.  Someone else take the "L" and tell us just how fucking stupid the rest of this show is.

Yeah, NBC stuff hits Peacock next day, so the first 2 are there.  It was enough that I'll at least give it a 6-8 episode shot.  My wife is fine with it so she's going to stick no matter what.

Night Court OG is pretty rough the first season. In fact the show went through several cast changes, character tweaks, and breaking it’s reality before they became the show we loved. So while I don’t have that much faith in it, I’d say let it settle in, and see if it finds itself.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs