DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Gemstones Win LOL  has been renewed for season 4.  

No word on when it's going into production because Danny McBride would literally have to cross the picket line twice to work for the producers of the show which is....  well, would you look at that...   himself. 

• Like 1

This could probably go in the doc thread too, but anyway, the Origins of Hip Hop show (done by A&E but airing on Vice) is really really cool. I watched the Busta episode from last night and my TV told me I could watch the rest On Demand so I peeped the Luke and Ice-T episodes after. Great stuff. The story about the court cases in the Luke one and the crime stories in the Ice one are crazy. And go figure, who gets a mention in the Luke one: Sinead O'Connor. I knew she supported Public Enemy but Luke seems a little out-there until you look at the facts of what he accomplished -- and he accomplished some very, very important stuff in his career. Next one on Vice is gonna be the Ice one and I highly recommend it. He really is the Original Gangster, in more ways than one.

This current season of What We Do In The Shadows is soooooo much better than the last - which I assume was obliterated due to COVID. 

Spoiler

Gizmo being a sort of Blade daywalker is excellent but I'm all about Colin Robinson back to full form!

• Like 1

Somebody uploaded the episode of Turn-On, a 1969 sketch comedy show that was pretty much cancelled before the first episode ended.

Here's episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxs5ki5e8nE

Here's the unaired episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE6mxY_02Q

I think my thoughts on this show overlap with this YouTube comment by the Uploader:

i love how strangely fitting it is that this is sponsored by a brand of aspirin

I think you'd either need to have been alive in 1969 or really messed up on drugs to fully appreciate this show.

• Like 1

Finished Steven Soderbergh's series, Full Circle on Max last night. Very good show. It all centers around this botched kidnapping and then has many, many ripples of all the people it touches. Some really great performances (including Jim Gaffigan playing a guy that's kind of a dick). I'd recommend.

I also watched the first two episodes of Hijack with Idris Elba. Very cool, very tense series about a (duh) hijacking. I'm hooked after those two episodes. Looking forward to see where it goes.

I haven't seen the finale of Gemstones yet, but there's a scene in the 8th episode that's genuinely wonderful. I don't want to spoil it, and I can never do the spoiler tags in my phone. But if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, did anyone watch that Starz series Heels about a wrestling fed? I can watch it for free on demand and am wondering if it's worth my time. 

Go read the Strike thread before you decide to watch it or not. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, did anyone watch that Starz series Heels about a wrestling fed? I can watch it for free on demand and am wondering if it's worth my time. 

If you liked Arrow I’d say yes. Actually I’d say yes either way. Season One was quite good once they found their footing, and I enjoyed the season 2 premiere from last Friday.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Go read the Strike thread before you decide to watch it or not. 

I've been following it the whole time so you're gonna have to be more explanatory here. I'm guessing it's a scab show?

Edited by Curt McGirt

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've been following it the whole time so you're gonna have to be more explanatory here. I'm guessing it's a scab show?

It’s not, he just said some really daft shit about the strike.

I wouldn’t use that as a basis on whether to watch it or not, if you’re interested go for it.

• Like 1

Warrior season 3 has been fun so far. Hard to touch the riot episode from season 2, but I think this season has been a bit more consistent. A fan of the one episode each season that is more a standalone western, but the main story is good enough where sometimes those episodes can throw a wrench in things.

Haven’t gone back through this thread. Anyone else watching this? 

12 hours ago, elizium said:

It’s not, he just said some really daft shit about the strike.

I wouldn’t use that as a basis on whether to watch it or not, if you’re interested go for it.

Ohhhhh okay, I didn't know Stephen Amell was in it (and I still don't even know who that dude is actually). 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ohhhhh okay, I didn't know Stephen Amell was in it (and I still don't even know who that dude is actually). 

Played Green Arrow, has made some appearances in wrestling, most notably wrestling Christopher Daniels at the original All In

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My synopsis after the first episode-

A family business in a small Georgia town has fallen on hard times with the eldest child struggling to keep it going. The family patriarch had built it up through his own hard work and was held in high regard by the townsfolk. Though he's well liked by his peers and coworkers, the oldest son's constant struggle and excessive time spent on the business has begun to alienate his wife and kids. Even though his employees respect him, they find his unwillingness to listen to their input on business ideas frustrating. His younger brother is very skilled at the family trade feels he deserves a bigger role in the business and longs to leave town and succeed in their field on a larger stage.

Wrestling itself is treated kind of similar to how it is in GLOW. There are a few scenes of wrestlers training or going over spots which serve more to introduce the non-wrestling fans to the technical aspects more than anything. There's even a scene where one wrestler's wife explains the concept of kayfabe to the other. The main character is the booker and heavyweight champ of the promotion who is a heel but is generally a good guy who is well liked in the community. His younger brother is the biggest face in the company but is kind of a douche who doesn't seem to get the business as much as his brother does. There are references to WCW and real world wrestlers while another character who was a former local star that went on to become nationally famous is now a road agent for "up north". He offers the younger brother a developmental deal which naturally causes the age old "you have to stay and help the family business rather than go succeed out of town" story you get in drama films.

I watched the rest of the season and that opinion remains pretty constant. The show was ok for the most part with the bigger plot points being things that could happen in any company - people thinking they've been overlooked, deserve bigger roles, have opportunities from competitors trying to take over their particular company, etc. The wrestling portrayal is about as realistic as you'd expect in a tv show. A character shoots on his opponent and legit breaks his leg at one point which I found one of the more egregious segments.

• Like 1

Reservation Dogs Season 3 debuts tonight. I have a bad habit of saying “this is the best XXX” but Reservation  Dogs is as great a show that has ever been on television. As hilarious a teen coming of age tale as there ever has been (up there with Freaks and Geeks) but also introduced us to a world almost none of us really know, while also not afraid to dive into magic realism and general weirdness. And that the actors and the writing staff and a lot of people behjnd the scenes are all indigenous also makes it culturally important, too. First two seasons get the highest of recommendations from me.

• Like 2