DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa. Reasons? And has anybody else done this? 

Not counting Barbie (which I saw via a private screening with my former roller derby team, so I don't think it really counts), I haven't been to a theatre since 2016.

I'm shockingly introverted and don't like my entertainment to be dependent on the behavior of others, so if someone can't keep quiet or stay off their phone, I 1) will be annoyed and 2) won't want to talk to them to tell them to knock it off, so I'd rather not spend the money to go see it in a theatre.

I also grew up very poor and rarely saw movies in theatres anyway, so I'm far more used to watching them on a TV than anything else.

I don't remember what the last movie I saw at a cinema before the Pandemic was. I saw Tenet in a cinema mid-pandemic, when lockdown was lifted. There were 3 other people there.

(It was a cinema exclusive over here, HBO Max doesn't exist outside of North America)

The pandemic taught us how much better it is to just see a movie at home with your food and your bathroom and the ability to pause and have subtitles, basically. The gains of the social environment and the big screen/sound just don't overweight the convenience. Especially if you have kids. Movies we've seen since: 1.) Encanto with the older girl. 2.) Elemental with both girls. 3.) We divided and conquered with the older girl: wife took her to Spider-Verse; I took her to Indiana Jones.

And then we just saw Marvels and Wish on this cruise last Saturday.

I could imagine wanting to see Furiosa on the big screen but virtually nothing else right now. The only reason I'd possibly want to otherwise is so I didn't get spoiled on something.

• Like 2

It was important to me that Sandy's first movie going experience was with me and NOT her mother was mainly my soon to be ex has shit taste in movies.

I knew Sandy would willing go to Across The Spider-Verse so that was her first movie theater trip. If I had known it 2 and half hours going in I would've waited but I will not trade the experience of my daughter in my lap, snuggling her daddy as we both watched Spider-Man together for anything

Some things are meant for a movie theater

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I'm debating on going to see. Godzilla on the big screen or waiting. I've heard bad things about Napoleon,  or I'd think that would also warrant big screen treatment.

I can't plunk down movie theater prices for Napoleon because I maintain Joaquin looks like Richard Kind and can't get past it

James

I've seen many, many films in the theater alone. It feels like you're getting away with something almost. As a pretty anti-social person in most circumstances, it's never bothered me to walk into a matinee of something nobody else is gonna be at and being totally comfortable in isolation with that giant screen. I guess that's what still makes it special to me. 

Hell, I need to go see Thanksgiving now...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've seen many, many films in the theater alone. It feels like you're getting away with something almost. As a pretty anti-social person in most circumstances, it's never bothered me to walk into a matinee of something nobody else is gonna be at and being totally comfortable in isolation with that giant screen. I guess that's what still makes it special to me. 

Hell, I need to go see Thanksgiving now...

Love that. I generally look for and attend screenings at low volume times. Weekday matinees all the way. The Comic Book Explosion era seems to have made audiences less aware of their unspoken agreement to shut the fuck up, keep their phones off, and not bring unacceptable crinkly bags of 'food'/etc into the cinema. Avoiding ppl at the cinema is necessary. Luckily, here in Toronto, we have the TIFF Lightbox that draws a crowd far better equipped to allow their neighbours to enjoy films with peace and focus. 

What a great time of the year for film. I've seen so many wonderful films lately: May December, Oppenheimer (on both 70mm and Imax), Killers of the Flower Moon, (tho not entirely successful) Priscilla, and especially Anatomy of a Fall. Here in Toronto we've also been treated to a Christian Petzold retrospective. Transit, Phoenix, Barbara, Undine, and especially his 2023 film (now playing on the Criterion Channel) Afire. There's still a bunch of stuff I'm excited to see: Holdovers (today maybe), the goddamn IRON CLAW, Maestro and especially the newest Kaurismaki joint Fallen Leaves. 2023 is feeling like a really strong year.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The pandemic taught us how much better it is to just see a movie at home with your food and your bathroom and the ability to pause and have subtitles, basically. The gains of the social environment and the big screen/sound just don't overweight the convenience. Especially if you have kids. Movies we've seen since: 1.) Encanto with the older girl. 2.) Elemental with both girls. 3.) We divided and conquered with the older girl: wife took her to Spider-Verse; I took her to Indiana Jones.

And then we just saw Marvels and Wish on this cruise last Saturday.

I could imagine wanting to see Furiosa on the big screen but virtually nothing else right now. The only reason I'd possibly want to otherwise is so I didn't get spoiled on something.

I agree without the family element. With, I think you're probably right. But there's definitely something far more captivating about sitting in the dark of a quality cinema without life's distractions that makes it still far more appealing for a solo viewer. Granted, that thought comes from an Ideal cinema setting which isn't by any stretch the norm in 2023. 

• Like 1

I’ve prob seen more films by myself than with another person. Admittedly, that is skewed by both film school classes and being a critic.  I may have only had my then GF go with me three times for either (one of which was Stephen Kings Cats Eye, her decision). 

I bet at least 4 times, I’ve been the only person in the theater. 

Yeah - I tend to only go to a movie theater if it is with the whole family and there isn't a ton we all want to see

And now with my kid in college - the time together is less so fewer opportunities

Only been to the theatre by myself once or twice. I tend to watch a few movies with family (mainly my dad and older brother) each year. We were watching a good dozen or more a year for years back when my sister and brother-in-law worked the theater. We lost those freebies not long after they left and the cheap theater we used closed during the pandemic. Last movie we caught before the pandemic was Bad Boys. We have seen a I think a half a dozen or more since it ended. 

I prefer to see big movies for the first time in theater though whether or not it happens is purely based on when my brother can actually view them as he is pretty busy with work and helping out friends much of the time. Hopign the two of us find time to see Godzilla Minus One this month.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, elizium said:

What was the last movie you saw in theatres before Covid lockdowns?

whatever the last film, Star Wars or Marvel, was that came out. they are pretty much the only current films that i make any effort to watch.

i've never had an issue going to movies solo, but i have been moving further and further into my antisocial habits as the years go by. my social circle continues to dwindle- whether that is a cause or effect (or coincidence) is anyone's guess. but i would much rather just watch from my couch.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa. Reasons? And has anybody else done this? 

Before COVID I would see a movie damn near every week. Since then it's really been about streaming. And to be very honest, there haven't really any movies that I've wanted to see in a theater.

I DID see Thanksgiving just now (review in the horror thread). There were about two or three couples and a row of four high school kids who were quiet enough. Actually it was really quiet. I'd forgotten that it is the holidays and so there were plenty of people out to see movies. 

Since this is the upcoming thread, previews were for Ferrari (it's Michael Mann, you know what you're getting), Night Swim, and some other Blumhouse pic... Imagination, that's it. They all run together for me. And of course they're beating Aquaman to death, and there's this flick with this actress I can't remember the name of but she's been in tons of shit and it looks like, a Terry Gilliam film, where they let a woman out into some fantasy world where she's a clone or something... Somebody help me out there?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Let me elaborate on that last one a little more. The actress herself introduces it and talks about it so it's not a conventional trailer. I thought it was Anya Taylor-Joy but she's busy being Furiosa. Anyway, they've got this lab, and they make a woman, and release her into a world with either like no women or it's really patriarchal (so basically, like our world), and she learns how to stand up for herself and etc. etc. The comedy seems to be based on reactions she has to brand new things, like sex. And the world is all CGI and VERY Gilliam-esque. There you go. 

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let me elaborate on that last one a little more. The actress herself introduces it and talks about it so it's not a conventional trailer. I thought it was Anya Taylor-Joy but she's busy being Furiosa. Anyway, they've got this lab, and they make a woman, and release her into a world with either like no women or it's really patriarchal (so basically, like our world), and she learns how to stand up for herself and etc. etc. The comedy seems to be based on reactions she has to brand new things, like sex. And the world is all CGI and VERY Gilliam-esque. There you go. 

It sounds like Poor Things, but I presume it’s somthing else. 

• Like 1