DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 10/6/2022 at 3:03 AM, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, just my impression that the Jersey Shore isn't quite as rednecky as some parts of the north (Pennsyltucky, etc). 97/98 DDP was a lot more relatable looking to fans from certain areas than 1995 DDP and 97/98 DDP had some fans who favored dudes that reminded them of someone they knew

DDP's look back then was like an amalgamation of every stepdad anyone's ever had

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

DDP's look back then was like an amalgamation of every stepdad anyone's ever had

I always thought DDP's look was dude who's family left him a semi-successful business that he's in the process of bankrupting. 

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I wonder in hindsight if TK should have hired Regal more as a backstage agent than as talent. You'd presume he would carry a lot of weight to the current generation of workers, not to mention being a cautionary tale on how you can ruin your career with bad life choices.

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Would Nigel be a good backstage pick up for Tony K? Ever one seems to thing he needs to delegate more

Backstage??  I got ten on Nigel showing up in a month to cut a promo and Doc Sampson "clearing" him to wrestle a week later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

DDP looks like the dude who invites you over his house for a party, and when you get there he tells you he'd like you to sleep with his wife.

Dear Pro Wrestling Illustrated,

I never thought it would happen to me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder in hindsight if TK should have hired Regal more as a backstage agent than as talent. You'd presume he would carry a lot of weight to the current generation of workers, not to mention being a cautionary tale on how you can ruin your career with bad life choices.

Regal talks a lot about how no one communicates anymore and how he’s excellent at mediating between parties and getting ahead of issues. Also that one of his NXT duties, official or not was to get to TV, check on people, and sometimes get ahead of certain “personal issues” that could negatively impact the company and their careers.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fuck. I like Nigel McGuinness.

Kind of surprising to me  only because I  envisioned him having a longer run as an announcer and eventually becoming office like Corino or Adam Pierce. I'm surprised he never really took on anymore roles in either of the NXT systems. With NXT Europe at least initially they intend on putting an effort into it , I'd think he'd have a place

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

DDP looks like the dude who invites you over his house for a party, and when you get there he tells you he'd like you to sleep with his wife.

He looks nothing like Jim Cornette!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

He looks nothing like Jim Cornette!

Cornette doesn't look like he would try to get you to sleep with his wife, despite allegedly being the type of person who will get you to try to sleep with his wife.  DDP, on the other hand, looks like a guy who is about to trying to butter you up to ask you something inappropriate.  Wasn't there some rumors about him and Bischoff swapping wives?  Both look more like the type than Cornette.

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Cornette doesn't look like he would try to get you to sleep with his wife, despite allegedly being the type of person who will get you to try to sleep with his wife.  DDP, on the other hand, looks like a guy who is about to trying to butter you up to ask you something inappropriate.  Wasn't there some rumors about him and Bischoff swapping wives?  Both look more like the type than Cornette.

Gray haired Bischoff looks like a guy sitting next to you on a plane who gives way too many details about his and his wife’s trip to Hedonism 2, he also tries to get a first class meal even though he’s sitting in coach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Kind of surprising to me  only because I  envisioned him having a longer run as an announcer and eventually becoming office like Corino or Adam Pierce. I'm surprised he never really took on anymore roles in either of the NXT systems. With NXT Europe at least initially they intend on putting an effort into it , I'd think he'd have a place

Was Nigel never a coach/producer/agent/what-have-you? Just on screen talent?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC when Regal did that Unrestricted (right name?) podcast with Schiavone and Aubrey, Regal said he was burned out from that being his job for so long that he just wanted to hang back and observe or something 

Like basically, "I'm just here for the young guys to pick my brain, but I'm not here to take on management level duties" ? along those lines

This is waaaaay back when he'd just joined, dunno where he stands now on that but hell yes he'd be perfect 

12 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Gray haired Bischoff looks like a guy sitting next to you on a plane who gives way too many details about his and his wife’s trip to Hedonism 2, he also tries to get a first class meal even though he’s sitting in coach. 

The rippin' and the tearin'...

Are they going to do a video journey for Ricky Steamboat leading into his match like Flair. I'm not going to lie, those videos made me think Flair was at the least not shit the bed in that match. Sure Flair had no business in the ring at this point but in fairness he went into it hurt and dehydrated. Obviously he would have had a much better match with out those factors. Those weekly YouTube videos was some of the best build up to a match you'd see.

You would think the promotioners of Steamboats match would start doing some sort of build up. Maybe show him doing drill or something considering it a month and a half away.

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Are they going to do a video journey for Ricky Steamboat leading into his match like Flair. I'm not going to lie, those videos made me think Flair was at the least not shit the bed in that match. Sure Flair had no business in the ring at this point but in fairness he went into it hurt and dehydrated. Obviously he would have had a much better match with out those factors. Those weekly YouTube videos was some of the best build up to a match you'd see.

You would think the promotioners of Steamboats match would start doing some sort of build up. Maybe show him doing drill or something considering it a month and a half away.

Is the show gonna be on PPV of some sort? FITE ect?