DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Talking with @SirSmellingtonofCascadia today about how brilliant Bret Hart was at finishes led me to thinking about the best finishes ever. The last thing you see in a match and having invested in what came before it, it has to deliver. I've come up with:

• Bret Hart vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper, WWF WrestleMania VIII. Still used to this day.
  • Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude. WCW Beach Blast 1992.
  • Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WWF WrestleMania X.
  • Mitusharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue. AJPW, 9th June 1995.
  • Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WWF WrestleMania 13. The best match ever. The best finish ever. Steve bloody refusing to submit to the Sharpshooter but passed out while trying to escape.
  • Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi. AJPW, 31st October 1998.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, WWF In Your House 18: Badd Blood. Undertaker is about to Tombstone Shawn but Kane debuts, hits 'Taker with his own move and a bloody Shawn wins.
  • Mankind vs. The Rock. WWF RAW, 4th January 1999. Austin interferes to a massive pop and seeing one of my favourite wrestlers in Mankind, the first heel I ever liked wins an unlikely WWF Championship.
  • Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Homicide/Adam Pearce/Ace Steel/BJ Whitmer vs. Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli/Eddie Kingston/Macro Butcher/Nate Webb inside Cage of Death. ROH Death Before Dishonor IV.
  • John Cena vs. CM Punk, WWE Money in the Bank 2011. Vince McMahon tries to redo the Montreal Screwjob but Cena stops him allowing Punk the opportunity to win the WWE Championship. 
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW The New Beginning 2012. Nobody saw this coming. A month after coming back from excursion, Okada cleanly defeats the Ace for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012. The only time someone goes for a pinball attempt and it wins the match which is nearly made up of joint work and submission holds. Match stands out for those reasons.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, WWE SummerSlam 2013. What a way to establish a new move, the Running Knee putting down the Ace for the clean win.
  • The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield, WWE Elimination Chamber 2014. You think the Shield will overcome the odds, have the numbers game like they nearly always do but not this time.
  • Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn. NXT REvolution. Sami's torn whether to cheat to use the NXT Championship while the referee is out but doesn't and it nearly costs him.
  • Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Dominion 2018. Omega hits a flash One Winged Angel then a second to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Okada's reign was the longest in the belt's history.

You?

• Like 1

Owen rolling up Austin to win The Canadian Stampede, shame it ended up with Austin getting injured 

Eddie v. Brock puts the title Eddie, sets up Brock v Goldberg and if Brock had stayed around you could have transitioned back to Brock v. Eddie 

Nyla v. Riho real sports storyline team gets up to a big lead takes foot off the gas gets upset, great way to work in the size difference to make the match believable 

HHH v. Benoit v. HBK

HBK v. Bret Ironman had a nice finishing sequence. Bret had HBK locked in the sharpshooter at the end of regulation could have used that in the build to the rumored rematch next year

and no Bret v. Austin WM13 @The Natural? Your slipping

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Owen rolling up Austin to win The Canadian Stampede, shame it ended up with Austin getting injured 

Eddie v. Brock puts the title Eddie, sets up Brock v Goldberg and if Brock had stayed around you could have transitioned back to Brock v. Eddie 

Nyla v. Riho real sports storyline team gets up to a big lead takes foot off the gas gets upset, great way to work in the size difference to make the match believable 

HHH v. Benoit v. HBK

HBK v. Bret Ironman had a nice finishing sequence. Bret had HBK locked in the sharpshooter at the end of regulation could have used that in the build to the rumored rematch next year

and no Bret v. Austin WM13 @The Natural? Your slipping

I nearly put Eddie Guerrero vs. Brock Lesnar from WWE No Way Out 2004 on mine. I couldn't do Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H from WWE WrestleMania XX.

You think I'd forget Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WrestleMania 13, @zendragon?

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Talking with @SirSmellingtonofCascadia today about how brilliant Bret Hart was at finishes led me to thinking about the best finishes ever. The last thing you see in a match and having invested in what came before it, it has to deliver. I've come up with:

• Bret Hart vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper, WWF WrestleMania VIII. Still used to this day.
  • Mitusharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue. AJPW, 9th June 1995.
  • Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WWF WrestleMania 13. The best match ever. The best finish ever. Steve bloody refusing to submit to the Sharpshooter but passed out while trying to escape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Steiner Bros. vs. Money Inc. cage match from SummerSlam Spectacular 1993 - Scott holding IRS on his shoulders and trapping him against the cage to prevent him from hitting the floor was awesome

5 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Steiner Bros. vs. Money Inc. cage match from SummerSlam Spectacular 1993 - Scott holding IRS on his shoulders and trapping him against the cage to prevent him from hitting the floor was awesome

Is this available to watch anywhere?

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Is this available to watch anywhere?

Dunno about Peacock, but it's on Dailymotion...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv2ft

Gorilla and JR on the call!

--

I remember seeing pictures of this in a one off steel cage edition of WWF Magazine, and it blew my mind that there was a tag match in a cage.

Yes, I know other promotions did it, but I grew up a staunch WWF kid.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Rey vs. Eddie from Halloween Havoc is on WWE's youtube channel.

Maaaaaaaaaaybe the best Cruiserweight match in WCW history? 

It's definitely #1 for me.

Honourable mention to Rey Mysterio vs. Psicosis at WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 and Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko at Starrcade 1996.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

It's definitely #1 for me.

Honourable mention to Rey Mysterio vs. Psicosis at WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 and Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko at Starrcade 1996.

Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon from Bash at the Beach is up there for me too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon from Bash at the Beach is up there for me too.

24 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Honorable mention to Blitzkreig/Juvi from Spring Stampede '99. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it being pretty good.

Good shouts, lads. I'd throw Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio from World War 3 1996 as well.

@PetrolCB: Spring Stampede 1999 is the last great WCW PPV. WWF and WCW was taking the money in but the PPVs weren't the best. I can only think of WWF St. Valentine's Day Massacre, WWF Backlash, WCW Uncensored, WCW Spring Stampede, WWF Fully Loaded and WWF No Mercy. ECW was better and more consistent on PPV with Guilty as Charged, Living Dangerously, Hard-core Heaven and the best show that year with Anarchy Rulz.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Honorable mention to Blitzkreig/Juvi from Spring Stampede '99. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it being pretty good.

Some of those later era ones where it’s built around Da Joose running 10 minute spot fests were a lot of fun, and that one was the best,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

It still holds up, at least for me.

There was also a really great Blitzkrieg/Juvi/Psicosis/Kidman 4-way a week after that on Nitro.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

black trunks Shane Helms was putting out some bangers in those dying months of the company. If WCW had survived a bit longer there’s a good chance we would’ve gotten Helms/Styles on a PPV

They had Helms, Moore, Styles, Air Paris, Jimmy Yang as young cruisers and that’s just off the top of my head. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

• Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi. AJPW, 31st October 1998.
  • Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, WWF In Your House 18: Badd Blood. Undertaker is about to Tombstone Shawn but Kane debuts, hits 'Taker with his own move and a bloody Shawn wins.
  • Mankind vs. The Rock. WWF RAW, 4th January 1999. Austin interferes to a massive pop and seeing one of my favourite wrestlers in Mankind, the first heel I ever liked wins an unlikely WWF Championship.
  • Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Homicide/Adam Pearce/Ace Steel/BJ Whitmer vs. Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli/Eddie Kingston/Macro Butcher/Nate Webb inside Cage of Death. ROH Death Before Dishonor IV.
  • John Cena vs. CM Punk, WWE Money in the Bank 2011. Vince McMahon tries to redo the Montreal Screwjob but Cena stops him allowing Punk the opportunity to win the WWE Championship. 
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW The New Beginning 2012. Nobody saw this coming. A month after coming back from excursion, Okada cleanly defeats the Ace for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012. The only time someone goes for a pinball attempt and it wins the match which is nearly made up of joint work and submission holds. Match stands out for those reasons.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, WWE SummerSlam 2013. What a way to establish a new move, the Running Knee putting down the Ace for the clean win.
  • The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield, WWE Elimination Chamber 2014. You think the Shield will overcome the odds, have the numbers game like they nearly always do but not this time.
  • Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn. NXT REvolution. Sami's torn whether to cheat to use the NXT Championship while the referee is out but doesn't and it nearly costs him.
  • Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Dominion 2018. Omega hits a flash One Winged Angel then a second to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Okada's reign was the longest in the belt's history.

You?

That RKO on Evan Borne out of the SSP but I'm sure he and DDP respectively have some of the best finishes from the Diamond Cutter/RKO.

Brets SummerSlam finishes when he dropped the title at Wimbley and he used it to defeat Goldust on a July 97 Raw which is one of my personal favorite Raw matches ever. 

Probably a ton of others and the Shawn Michaels Superkick on Shelton Benjamin catching him out of a springboard, that finish even lapsed fans are impressed by that.

That finish from the fatal 4 Way at Backlash 07 when Cena pinned Edge after Michaels follow up after Superkicking him allowing Cena to Win.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

black trunks Shane Helms was putting out some bangers in those dying months of the company. If WCW had survived a bit longer there’s a good chance we would’ve gotten Helms/Styles on a PPV

Shane had the entrance with the girls dancing with him. Had a killllller finisher. Plus those great matches. Had WCW got bought by Fusient, he could've blown up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1